M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Question for you guys:

Are all TRAP models marked 'Trap'?

If not marked 'Trap' what would be the identifying characteristics making it a Trap model??

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mine say Trap....have side receiver engraving while field models are plain...and a different wider forend than the field models...

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Muffin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mine has the wider forend, no engraving, 30" Bbl......... Did the field models have a VR??

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never seen a pure trap without the engraving...Never seen a field without a VR...

The trap I have has a Monte Carlo stock and 32 inch barrel which says trap....the fields I have are all straight stocked with plain receivers....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a new, first year production (1974), Super X Model 1 field grade with MOD plain barrel in the fall of 1976. It had been at the hardware store for almost two years and they sold it to me for the same price of the Remington 1100 in the same configuration. I've owned it since then but haven't shot it in about two years now. I've replaced the plastic recoil buffer (a MUST if the original is still in it) and the metal plunger that rides into the buttstock on the recoil spring (optional dependent on wear). It has been a workhorse. As I recall there are three distinct periods of production and the models have some details that differ between each of the three periods. Sorry but I don't remember the differences.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Odessa; 02/24/21.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
From what i remember there were three different slight modifications to the trigger.

Addition: The original ribs were also prone to coming off, later ones had a change.

Last edited by battue; 02/24/21.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by battue
From what i remember there were three different slight modifications to the trigger.

Addition: The original ribs were also prone to coming off, later ones had a change.

Some of the 101's had the same issues as well with the ribs

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Super-X model 1 is the finest engineered shotgun ever or will ever be built in the USA. The Model 12 in a semi-auto. Unfortunately for Winchester a marketing disaster.

Replace the bolt buffer, install a stainless magazine tube along with a coated gas piston and your grand childrens...grandchildren will still be shooting the Win Super-X.

I've owned a bunch of them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
all trap models had bbls marked trap full.
plain bbls were made for field guns.
there were 2 triggers, type 1 and type 2.
early triggers had a grooved finger surface and a backlash screw that tended to wiggle loose causing a ftf.
it was replaced with a type 2 eliminating the screw and the finger surface was smooth.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not all field barrels were plain, nor were all trap barrels full choke. I had a couple factory vent rib field barrels - a 26” IC and a 28” M. In addition, I had both “Imp Mod Trap Choke” and “Full Trap Choke” factory barrels.

I’ve never seen the receivers marked trap or skeet, but the telltale was the scroll rolled engraving (usually), as well as the stock dimensions. The trap stocks are obvious; skeet stocks were slightly higher than field dimensions, especially at heel.

I said “usually” above, as toward the end of production they used some plain sided receivers for target guns.

Terrific guns with a cult following and enough new parts around to keep them going a long time.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve broke a trigger pin with a lot of use. Bob Baumgart was the Super X 1 guru.

Without a stainless mag tube replacement, they developed burn rings even with good maintenance. So simple in design it makes one think why haven’t they been reinvented. Much like the Win 50 and 59.

Worked with even light loads....occasionally still see one being used on the SC circuit... but rare.

Extremely soft on recoil.

They would hiccup on occasion...most commonly when the aluminum cup the action rod inserted into got out of round from wear.

Have 3, plus a parts receiver...should dump them, but just enjoy shooting them on occasion.

Last edited by battue; 02/28/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 300_savage, 30 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.