Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Ordered the subject camera from CameraLand because I think it will be a good upgrade from my iPhone 11Pro. It is supposed to be delivered on Friday. I’m on this forum to learn. Any tips for a neophyte?

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you haven't already received the camera, when you get it pull out the manual and start reading, charge up the battery and start shooting, don't worry about how good the photos are initially (with digital there is no wasted "film"). Run through the menus to memorize the functions.

Learn what the "exposure triad" is about and how to operate your camera manually to set up the exposures for different effects (which helps to understand exposure).
Run through the menus to memorize the functions.

When you understand the exposure settings and what they do you'll get a better idea of how to set up auto/program menus and for preset "funct" buttons.
Run through the menus to memorize the functions.

Play with the auto focus functions to see what you can get away with for different scenarios and what the limits of the camera are. You may find you have to pre-setup focus in some situations beforehand to get action shots you want. Get haze filters for your lenses more for protection than anything else. Polarizer filters are nice to have also. Extra batteries too.

Get a tripod for slow exposures/night time, and shots you don't want any blur/out of focus.
Did I mention run through the menus to memorize functions?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks for the advice, SBTCO. I'm running through the menus to memorize functions. It is quite complicated.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good advice. Additionally, one can look a the info that accompanies each shot and school up on what and what did not work.

Also, one can do a lot to salvage exposure errors with post processing software. Focus issues not so much.

As to filters, we now avoid them like the plague. Optical engineers devote an entire career aimed at getting all the colors focused on a common point and then someone sticks a flat piece of glass in front of his lens. Takes a lot of life out of ones pictures. We use good deep lens hoods for physical protection.

Have fun,

1Minute
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks, 1minute. I did buy a polarizing filter and it seems to help the colors a bit when I remember to set it right.

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lots of good YouTube videos out there on specific cameras as far as set up and tips.

What do you typically photograph? What lens or lenses did you get?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
achad,

here is website I just found and thought it might help.

https://www.davemorrowphotography.com/shutter-speed-chart

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
duckster, I bought the Tamron 18-400 mm f/3.5-6.3 telephoto lens. So far I like it.

SBTCO, thanks for the link!

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, lets see some pics please.

1Minute
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have seen some really nice shots with the Tamron 18-400 from a couple of friends. Lots of versatility there, especially on a crop body.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm not proud of any shot I've taken so far, but the attached is among the best of the lot. Taken last Saturday afternoon in Steamboat Springs. Just the .jpg from the camera without post-processing.

Attached Images
IMG_0124.small.JPG (38.34 KB, 59 downloads)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Probably the best advice is to get out there and shoot photos. See which ones turn out well and which ones don't, then you can figure out the "why"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, the crop sensors do let one reach out a bit more. Does make it a little more difficult though with the wide angle units.

1Minute
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes, the crop sensors do let one reach out a bit more. Does make it a little more difficult though with the wide angle units.

Cheap "reach" as it were....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 15 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.