Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They started running 55/58 grain bullets in their .24 calibers.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

R
R
Traded off my swift many years ago, it has just never made it back to the top of the " I want now list". Definitely a fun round, especially for reloaders...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Put one up for sale in classifieds ,they will come out of the woodwork and blow up your PM.

Sarge

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My coyote hunting buddy turned me on to 220 swift a while back. I've bought every one I've seen for sale since then.....1

IAFF local 1609
Lifetime member NRA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
They started running 55/58 grain bullets in their .24 calibers.

Eeww...

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Civilization did it in around here. Houses everywhere.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Many varmint shooters are shooting heavier bullets with better SD & BC's these days. Most Swift rifles rate of twist doomed the cartridge.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Many varmint shooters are shooting heavier bullets with better SD & BC's these days. Most Swift rifles rate of twist doomed the cartridge.

Now this is just funny. The Swifts 14 twist doomed it, but I would like you to explain why for 35-40 years after the Swifts demise in 64 that starting in 65 they made and sold a boatload of 22.250’s with that same [bleep] 14 twist. The Swift was doomed in 1936 when Wotkyns and Gebby introduced the 22 Varminter.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostman

I never had an issue w the twist.

Shot 55 grain Ballistic Tips just fine and killed schitt way out.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i am still a fan of the 220 Swift, one of my 220 Swifts rides with me every day of the year. .I use 60 gr. Nosler partitions and 60 gr. B.T with a 1-10 twist Brux barrel on my Ruger # 1 shoots great.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I found this thread which struck a cord as my very first groundhog kill was with a 220 swift. The rifle belonged to a college buddy of mine, a pre-64 model 70
of course but had been purchased by his father when he was a small child in the very southern part of coal country of West Virginia. His dad was a WWII veteran and a coal miner of course.

When my college buddy was a small child his mother had given his dad $200.00 to my some furniture for the house, when his dad returned he had the pre-64 220 swift and no furniture. His mother was spitting mad but his dad kept the rifle. Over the years growing up he said his dad had "sold the 220 swift several times and each time when his mother discovered the rifle gone......she had his dad go buy that rifle back which he did.

The 220 swift left enough impression on me that some years later I bought a Ruger model 77 heavy barrel in 220 swift. That rifle would shoot tiny
bug holes with a Sierra 52 gr and IMR- 4320.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Greg,

thanks for posting that...far southern part of WVa, that is where the stork delivered me to...Lots of family, and Lord knows they sure use to have a lot of ground hogs...but guess Coyotes moving in have cut those numbers down quite a bit... and in a pre 64 Model 70...

Guy here in town, always love to run into me at the range, because I turn green when he brings his Grandpa's 1941 purchased Model 54 in 220 Swift.... it had an Alaskan 6 power Leupold thrown on top sometime in the 50s...this thing looks like its 6 months old... it was his grandpa's only rifle he saw him with as a kid... and Grandpa was a hunter and used it for EVERYTHING... nuisance varmints to elk... and in those days getting an elk every season around here was no big deal... they were a dime a dozen...

I have a Husqvarna in 270, that I have been thinking of rebarreling to a Swift ever since I got it... but also have a Marlin X 7, I've also had pretty much the same idea of doing since I got that one also... but the Swift doesn't give me anything the 22.250s I have don't.... except the cool factor...22.250s are cool, especially the one I have with a one in 7 twist, but is still not as cool as a 220 Swift... especially if it is on a Model 70 or Model 54 action...

never shot that many Groundhogs on relatives' farms down in WVa, have sure shot a bunch of prairie dogs and millions of Sage rats.. ya don't need a Swift for that...at all...and that was out here.. ya know someone would pop up and tell me there is no prairie dogs in WVa...
after all this is the campfire....

hey hope that stuff on the 444 helped you out some..

cheers and best regards my friend...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All those 220 Swift lovers puffed out their chests, gave each other knowing nods, and went skipping off into the sunset together.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Swift fans are out there, just pretty quite. All busy trimming brass.....😁

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I still have 220's, but been thinning my herd down a bit. Not that I totally want to be empy but with health Conditions I just do t want tons sitting around. I'll probably stay with one of my #1 220's (red pad) and also keep Tons of bullets and power on hand. They are beyond flat shooting and if you don't heat them up to much and trade out off and on during varmit shooting they'll last !

A im Far !
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
What good is a rifle if you can't get brass for it? One of about 50 cartridges Win has killed. Now that Win is running the Lake City plant they will most likely try to discontinue 5.56 and 50BMG ammo.

Jim Gibson
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The first new rifle i ever bought was a ruger 77v with 26" barrel this was in the early 70,s. I put a redfield 4x12 duplex scope on it,the scope cost pretty near as much as the rifle. I have shot everything from woodchucks to deer with it,and it will be the last rifle i get rid of. I was shooting 52 grain sierra hollow point boattail match ammo at around 3700 fps,pretty much keep inside a nickel at 200 yds . We swift owners just grin when were told the swift is dead !!!! grin grin

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
FatAlbert: "I" have a "lifetime" supply of 220 Swift brass for my mini-hoard (9) of 220 Swift Rifles so "my" 220 Swifts ARE all "good"!
The other 4 collector type 220 Swifts I own won't be getting shot by me but when I sell them in a year or two the new owners may have to look around a bit for loading components or ammo if THEY want to shoot them. I have seen both Hornady and Nosler 220 Swift brass on shelves in the past 6 months around here as well as want ads selling this in Winchester and Norma brands.
I guess if you (Winchester?) invent a cartridge you (Winchester) can decide to quit making brass or cartridges for it.
I have not heard that Winchester has quit either - have you?
Long live the wonderful 220 Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The first deer I ever took was with my grandpas M77 .220 Swift. It was a cold, foggy morning that turned to snow in a hurry and we were out early in the morning checking the cows. The deer was bedded across a small draw and the fog lifted and grandpa looked at me and said “do you think you can hit him?” The deer stood up and I touched of that rifle and the deer took off like a shot, ran straight into a small pile of buck brush. He was dead before he hit the brush but I’ll never forget how he dove into that brush breaking off branches that were 2” in diameter. I own three .220 swifts today, Grandpas M77, a Ruger #1 that likes the 60 grainers like Pete53 refer to above and a Rem 700 Classic. Working on a fourth at the moment, had the itch to build a fast twist .220 swift. Currently have a 1:8 twist barrel at my local gunsmith waiting for find a donor action to put it on.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”- Augustus McCrae
“It’s better to have it, and not need it; than to need it and not have it.” - Woodrow Call
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
We swift owners just grin when were told the swift is dead !!!! grin grin

Couldn’t agree more

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”- Augustus McCrae
“It’s better to have it, and not need it; than to need it and not have it.” - Woodrow Call
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.