Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
No, you can tell by looking they are not. For waterfowling in flat country rubber boots are the way to go. For long hikes up and down hills (esp. down) they are torture at best, and offer very little protection against impacts or pointed rocks, and invite a sprained ankle.

Ankle-fit are nice when you put them on dry, but are difficult to take off after you have sweated in them all day, and nearly impossible to get back on the next morning unless they spent the night on a boot dryer. They also trap the sweat around your foot much more than regular rubber boots do. I would not pick them unless you expect to be in mud that tries to suck your boots off. I don't see that being a problem on a Kenai moose hunt.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tuffs. Though I admit I tend to slide down mountains more than walk😀

Yup.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I stopped wearing hip boots about 10 years ago and went to the LaCrosse Alpha Burly knee highs, it's all I ever wear anymore to hunt moose or when tromping through the swamps.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Farm vet, Yes, when I first went to AK, I thought the MAine Hunting boot was all I'd ever need,....

No traction, no arch support, no ankle support, get a pair of waders and good water proof boots...

Yup, and a pair of the NEOS River Trekkers for crossing streams that would o/wise be over the tops of your boots.

"Good waterproof boots" means Kenetrek or equivalent.

A pair of "lower - rubber / upper - leather" boots are nice to have in camp for running outside for a minute, but trying to hunt in rough country in a pair is a very bad idea, for several reasons.

The fact I can lace my schnees pretty snug in the ankles when needed is great. I don't much climb the sheep mountains when guiding moose. but do at times. If I know I'm in for actual daily climbing I swap boots, but schnees have served me so well for years for moose wife and I don't wear anything else. If its worse than the schnees wet wise we slip into waders. Not hips. FWIW. And waders also make great rain pants if its really wet/rainy... much better than any rain pants I have.

but YMMV as always. We all can deal with varying issues.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The last thing I wanted to use on our DIY moose hunt was rubber boots mostly because I knew we would be doing quite a bit of hiking. All 3 of us used Cabelas hip waders and Simms Freestone Wading boots. The boots made it way more comfortable to hike around in especially if there was any terrain involved. In fact, I did miles and miles of pack training with them on and didn't have a single issue with blisters or hot spots. On days when we knew we didn't need the waders we would still use the Simms boots but would add a waterproof neoprene sock to take up the room the booty would when wearing the waders.

Worked like a champ.

Cabelas Waders

Simms Freestone Boots

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by REDVANES; 02/24/21.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by REDVANES
The last thing I wanted to use on our DIY moose hunt was rubber boots mostly because I knew we would be doing quite a bit of hiking. All 3 of us used Cabelas hip waders and Simms Freestone Wading boots. The boots made it way more comfortable to hike around in especially if there was any terrain involved. In fact, I did miles and miles of pack training with them on and didn't have a single issue with blisters or hot spots. On days when we knew we didn't need the waders we would still use the Simms boots but would add a waterproof neoprene sock to take up the room the booty would when wearing the waders.

Worked like a champ.

Cabelas Waders

Simms Freestone Boots

Is that mosquitos all around yall or is it the lens dirty?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There's no mosquitos in Alaska

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Originally Posted by REDVANES

Worked like a champ.

Cabelas Waders

Simms Freestone Boots

Is that mosquitos all around yall or is it the lens dirty?

Not mosquitos but “whitesocks”.... little biting gnats. The head nets are in our hands and took them off for 10 seconds to take the picture and right back on they went. HAHA

I would advise anybody hunting in Alaska to bring a few headnets... they get misplaced and you definitely don’t want to be without one!

Once the sun crept over the mountain tops the bugs came with it

Last edited by REDVANES; 02/24/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Another fan of breathable waders or hippers (bring both) paired with any good hiking boot sized to fit. I lived in hip boots for two seasons in AK and hope I never have to wear them again.

Do the neoprene sock thing or vapor barriers & liners to wear when you aren't wearing the waders.

Bug shield is importante on the Muskeg, get a double net suit and a a couple of types of repellent, deet,, permethran, picardin. The Alaskan national bird (mosquitos) considers all these as salad dressing with you being the salad.

Last edited by DBoston; 02/24/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.