M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dies and press and stuff?

Whatcha figure the stuff is called?

Whatcha figure it looks like?

Press, press, fold, fold, fold, tack/rivet?

?
Any semi-informed ideas of what's involved?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Dies and press and stuff?

Whatcha figure the stuff is called?

Whatcha figure it looks like?

Press, press, fold, fold, fold, tack/rivet?

?
Any semi-informed ideas of what's involved?

Yes.

😉

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Press brake bending machines. You tube.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gunzo

So, rigged up Hydraulic jack press and some stuff....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you were going into production you'd probably use a press brake to do the folds. You might also use a power press to put in any ribs or punch any holes, and likely use a resistance spot welder to assemble.

If all you want to do is make a one-off, and you don't have the gear, then you could probably do it by bending steel strip in a vice and soldering, brazing or TIG welding it. If it doesn't need a flange or feed lips that would be about it.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by dan_oz
If you were going into production you'd probably use a press brake to do the folds. You might also use a power press to put in any ribs or punch any holes, and likely use a resistance spot welder to assemble.

If all you want to do is make a one-off, and you don't have the gear, then you could probably do it by bending steel strip in a vice and soldering, brazing or TIG welding it. If it doesn't need a flange or feed lips that would be about it.

To do in a simple hydraulic press. NEED feed lips. So, top and bottom dies, for left and right sides to make lips? Then the bending... Suppose they could be called form dies?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The really gifted might be able to do it with hand tools..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Heat, jig, hammer, grinder. Then order one from Brownells. (grin)

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wonder about the IQ of someone asking how to make such a simple widget. I am just pulling your leg. Hope it pans out for you .

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by horse1
Heat, jig, hammer, grinder. Then order one from Brownells. (grin)

This!

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunzo

So, rigged up Hydraulic jack press and some stuff....

Some split pipe for the female die, metal rounds for the male, & a bench vice if you're trying to shade tree it. Actually, a BFH is better for shade tree than a complicated/expensive vice could ever be.

Or, just some stuff is a BFH & something that resembles an anvil.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
NEED feed lips. So, top and bottom dies, for left and right sides to make lips? Then the bending... Suppose they could be called form dies?

The feed lips are going to be the hardest part. In order to feed reliably you need to make the box out of sufficiently stiff/thick material that the feed lips will hold their shape under the load imposed by the mag spring, and you have to get the dimensions right so that rounds won't pop out when you don't want them to, but will feed when you do.

If you have one to copy, that would make it easier. Most of these internal mag boxes have simple flat bends you could accomplish using a vice, but feed lips may use a radiused bend, which would be a bit more challenging without appropriate equipment.

You'd start by doing a geometric development. That is effectively a template of what the box will look like when unfolded and laid out flat, with enough allowance for the radius of the bends. You cut your material to that shape, and then fold it up, and braze or TIG the seam.

When I was at high school we did more complicated stuff than this in metalwork class.

You might want to see if you can find one first though.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Simply not made in the version I seek... But.

I can see shaping a lower and upper die to press the part, to form the lips... Not sure my Harbor Freight jackstand is up for it.

For a few, or a prototype, billet might even work. At least as a proof of concept. I am but a simple woodworker. LOL

Small schools, we got excellent woodshop, building trades, and small engine destroy.... Plus fugging art. Still not able to draw fuuck and have absolutely never needed to waterfuucking color anything!

Thanks for the responses....

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thor!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.