Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's right, the US shifted to the 5.56 earlier than we did, but still used the M14 into the early/mid 1970s.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My second son used a scoped m14 as a squad sniper in the marines in the early 2000's.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got around to watching the show this week. Highly recommended.

For anyone wanting more and for those who haven’t seen it yet I recommend The Odd Angry Shot. A bit of humour in this one too!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know if any of you lads know or know of Paul Duffy or Greg Barnett. These Australian SAS lads knew some of us
in MACVSOG . Then there is Dave Procopis-the Greek God of Williamtown. I knew these folks when I was with the 5th Special Forces Gp and SOG 71-72.

Chosin Reservoir was quite a fight in Korea. An excellent book is BreakOut-by Martin Russ.
The Royal Marines were attached to the 1st Marine Division at Chosin. It was quite a fight against
the Chinese, not the NorKs in that extended battle. The US Army was on the West side of the reservoir.
Excellent book.

Yes-the M-14 was used by the US well into the 70s.
I carried a Car-15, a 1911, Randall knife and 2-in Smith snubbed revolver hideout in
my back pocket in I -Corps. Lots of grenades. Best not to be captured as they hated SOG.
We got some of the first 30-rd magazines made by Colt.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
Don't know if any of you lads know or know of Paul Duffy or Greg Barnett. These Australian SAS lads knew some of us
in MACVSOG . Then there is Dave Procopis-the Greek God of Williamtown. I knew these folks when I was with the 5th Special Forces Gp and SOG 71-72.

Chosin Reservoir was quite a fight in Korea. An excellent book is BreakOut-by Martin Russ.
The Royal Marines were attached to the 1st Marine Division at Chosin. It was quite a fight against
the Chinese, not the NorKs in that extended battle. The US Army was on the West side of the reservoir.
Excellent book.

I carried a Car-15, a 1911, Randall knife and 2-in Smith snubbed revolver hideout in
my back pocket in I -Corps. Lots of grenades. Best not to be captured as they hated SOG.

If it's the Paul that I know he is a member of the AAACA (Oz antique arms collectors assn). Ever see SAS hill? BTW I worked in OPS SPT for squirrels and RAE a decade in the 90s. No name, no pack drill,

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 450Fuller

Excellent book.

I have been listening to some of Jocko’s podcasts and he has had a bit on SOG. Enthralling. How any of you survived has got me beat!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The M16 was not as effective as the SLR, true you could carry more ammo for the M16 but with the SLR using the 7.62 round it was far more useful in getting rounds on target. Sure it was heavier but we were trained to carry it without a sling. We didn't get a lot of re-supply in the field so the ammo had to last and big "brass ups" were frowned upon. Even full auto weapons were preferably used with 3 rounds bursts rather than sustained fire. We never wore helmets in the bush either. just more weight and interfered with hearing and moving quietly through the bush. Sorry, you asked the time and i've just told you how to make a watch.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,353
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.