S
LOL epic sixpooter meltdown.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soooo what is the minimum caliber for elk??🤔🤔😁😁
The 1500 ft lbs of “knock down” power is something that’s been preached from a time when there weren’t many choices of bullets or cartridges.
With today’s array of bullet choices and cartridges. I’d rather see someone using a rifle they shoot and practice with all the time vs someone who thinks they have to take their grandpa 340wby cuz elk are so big and you need “knock down” power but can only sight it in off a lead sled cuz it kicks to much. A well placed bullet that disrupts tissue and causes massive trauma is what I prefer.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by 805
The 1500 ft lbs of “knock down” power is something that’s been preached from a time when there weren’t many choices of bullets or cartridges.
With today’s array of bullet choices and cartridges. I’d rather see someone using a rifle they shoot and practice with all the time vs someone who thinks they have to take their grandpa 340wby cuz elk are so big and you need “knock down” power but can only sight it in off a lead sled cuz it kicks to much. A well placed bullet that disrupts tissue and causes massive trauma is what I prefer.

So something like a accurate low recoil round like a 7mm-08 maybe sporting a Barnes 140 TSX ???

Which also carries 1500 FP out to 300 yards (Factory loads) you mean something like that, amazing it fits that OLD preachy axiom too shocked

Last edited by gssixgun; 02/25/21.

Slaying Orcs
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gssixgun

So something like a accurate low recoil round like a 7mm-08 maybe sporting a Barnes 140 TSX ???

Which also carries 1500 FP out to 300 yards (Factory loads) you mean something like that, amazing it fits that OLD preachy axiom too shocked

'Pooter, you need to look up "axiom" in the dictionary. It means unquestionable or self-evident, neither of which fits here as made painfully obvious by this thread. In Boddington's case, even the guy who originally wrote it now questions it. So it's more like a myth, that's been busted. By one of the originators no less.

Here's a simple yes or no question for you. With your 7-08 and 140 TSX are you saying it's OK to take a shot at 300 yards, but not at 350 or 400 because you'd be below 1500 ft-lbs?

PS, Jordan, don't hold your breath......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

I still had a bit of hope that him and I could have a rational discussion about his objection to my statement (as scientists often do), but clearly that won’t/can’t happen. One thing is certain: he’s a legend in his own (very uniformed) mind. Some people are promoted beyond their intelligence, and open internet forums highlight that fact. It’s like Grandpa used to say, “better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt”. Poor ‘sixgun is eager to open his mouth as often as possible.

IC B2

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Ahhhh, good Ol boddington and his 1500 lb + elk. 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Judman

Did you get your limit yet?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I still had a bit of hope that him and I could have a rational discussion about his objection to my statement (as scientists often do), but clearly that won’t/can’t happen.

Yep. All I did was ask a simple question, "what's the basis for 1,500 ft-lbs." An honest, rational answer to that question would'v made this thread a lot shorter.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman

Did you get your limit yet?

Yessir 😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by T_Inman

The Biggest F'n gun you can shoot accurately

I LOVE it when I hear this!
[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]

Cracked me up as well.

Shut up and hunt!
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Amazing....after all this I'm still confused as to why all the fuss?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not sure where I come down on this ft lb of energy issue. But I think a little science and civility goes a long way in this discourse. In my opinion, a couple of hundred fps above the advertised or claimed expansion velocity of a bullet might be a good place to start when choosing an elk load. Perhaps a load that’s good for 200 yards might not be adequate for 600 yards. A very light bullet at high velocity might dance around a bit in mountain winds and not provide adequate penetration at long range. YMMV, Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

'Pooter, you need to look up "axiom" in the dictionary. It means unquestionable or self-evident, neither of which fits here as made painfully obvious by this thread. In Boddington's case, even the guy who originally wrote it now questions it. So it's more like a myth, that's been busted. By one of the originators no less.

Here's a simple yes or no question for you. With your 7-08 and 140 TSX are you saying it's OK to take a shot at 300 yards, but not at 350 or 400 because you'd be below 1500 ft-lbs?

First YES Jordan PLEASE hold your breath ... I lost all interest in you after the first dumb thing came out of your typing

Smokes Poles

See when you ask a pertinent question I will gladly answer..

No
I never said don't take the shot, your closed mind keeps you from understanding it.. I can't say it more times, as I said it in my OP it is a suggestion, a recommendation, a guideline NOT set in stone.
You just showed just how ignorant you really are to think that the Elk is going to know the difference of 50 yards, I was right you don't know jack about ballistics..
The shooter needs to know his rifle, and obviously his capabilities, we all know the odds begin to stack against hunters here in the US once the range goes past 250 yards, there is no magical impact formula that covers bad hits. (as I said in my OP)

The problem you have is that you are so wrapped around your ego that you can't see straight.. Everything you have tossed out there trying to pigeonhole the axiom, I never said, you added it, not me.

That 7mm-08 load holds onto quite a bit of steam out to 500 yards, if the shooter can make the shot and the angle looks good heck yeah float one out there, that is where we each have to decide on our own capabilities matched with the rifle..

I don't tell people what I think is ethical, if they wound an animal and it goes over that far ridge I am pretty sure they are going to make a half-assed attempt to track it and will quite soon give up and convince themselves they missed it completely. We all know what happens if they manage to make the shot, and down the elk, we can read it in many statements on this very thread..

I do think there is probably a higher percentage of good shooters here on this forum as compared to the general hunting population, I mean if we weren't more interested, we wouldn't be here trading barbs over something I am right about

Slaying Orcs
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Slaying Orcs
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805

Sure something like an accurate low recoil 7-08 would work fine but I wouldn’t be shooting a 140TSX. My personal preference would be the 140gr Berger VLD or similar which also carries past 300 with plenty of VELOCITY to aid in said bullet doing exactly what it’s designed for.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Ok, now that you two have exchanged address for Christmas cards, can we get back on track?

Is 1,500 pounds for residents? Would a NR guided hunter want 2,200?

Is 1,000 acceptable for women and children?

Slim, you ever get that box of rubber dongs I sent you for Xmas?

Since you hadn’t said *Thank You* I figured Tman probably stole them off your porch.

😜🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Smokes Poles

See when you ask a pertinent question I will gladly answer..

Excellent, this is real progress!

So what is the 1500 ft-lb "suggestion" based on? Why not 2000 or 1200?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Excellent, this is real progress!

So what is the 1500 ft-lb "suggestion" based on? Why not 2000 or 1200?

And the broken record continues,,

I guess when your "Forum King" it takes awhile for your stupidity to become apparent to others, keep going you are helping me with every post, at this rate you will be irrelevant sooner

I did notice that you had nothing to say about the rest of my post, must have finally made it through, ahhhhhh Progress and Sensibility

Last edited by gssixgun; 02/25/21.

Slaying Orcs
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by 805

Sure something like an accurate low recoil 7-08 would work fine but I wouldn’t be shooting a 140TSX. My personal preference would be the 140gr Berger VLD or similar which also carries past 300 with plenty of VELOCITY to aid in said bullet doing exactly what it’s designed for.

Perfect if that is your favorite load go for it, any well constructed bullet placed accurately with around that energy is going to be just fine.. That 1500FP suggestion doesn't mean a .340WBY is needed

Slaying Orcs
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
'Pooter, you and I both know there's no basis for it. You just can't bring yourself admit it.

And btw, Jordan is one of the most knowledgeable as well as one of the nicest guys on here.

That you got crossways with him speaks volumes. But go ahead, keep showing your ass, it's entertaining as hell.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 18 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.