Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Occasionally you see reports of fellas taking a bigbore lever on varities of very large game. Wondered if anyone has any experiences to share or links to articles.

GB1

158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Will inlcude bigbore handguns as well

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

With a big bore revolver I've takenAsian buffalo and stopped a grizzly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a lot of such discussion over on Africa Hunting. I had had to explain several times that it is the bullet , not the rifle action that kills the game. Also gave examples of African game taken with my 1886 .45-90 and ,405 WCF.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've taken 4 brown bears with a Big Horn Armory 500 S&W,,,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by waterrat
I've taken 4 brown bears with a Big Horn Armory 500 S&W,,,,,

That's pretty doggone awesome! Congrats.

Guy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Teddy and Kermit seemed to do OK with .405's a hundred or so years ago...

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, but think I have one, 'think' means a new untested bullet, a 50 cal 600gr flat nosed grease groove bullet cast with 12 to 1 alloy, it leaves the 50-110 WCF lever rifle at 1288 fps over OE 2F black powder, the old bullet weighed 700 grains and plowed through deer and pigs like they weren't even there, this new bullet is from a mould that came in a pile of trade bait, the 20 twist barrel will easily stabilize, after figuring hold and sight correlation marks on the Smith Ladder sight it will make a fine hunting rifle.

How it penetrates [straight] and how deep it goes will be the factors on max animal size to use it on.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With my 45-70 I've taken Prairie dogs. Plan on taking the 45-90 next time for better penetration.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Occasionally you see reports of fellas taking a bigbore lever on varities of very large game. Wondered if anyone has any experiences to share or links to articles.

Used a custom Browning 1895 scout rifle on a large bull moose in full rut this past season. Was on the Nation River, a swift, mountainous mess with the slimmest moose population I've ever hunted. Too many wolves. The bullet was a .410, 350 grain swift A-frame.

Have had an illogical bias towards the lever gun that I brought from Maine to Alaska. Through that bias, I'm pretty much done with lever guns. I appreciate a no bullsht, 5 minute field strip and cleaning that you get from a Bugger Cockeyed 77 (Ruger 77) rifle. Not to mention, the no bullsht extraction and no bullsht one piece open trigger and finally, the no bullsht open sights and no bullsht integral scope ring system.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...233780/browning-1895-scout-rifle-project

Of all the lever guns I've shot moose with, the browning 95 was the most reliable, powerful and compact. The hunt can be viewed on iTunes, Google TV, or amazon prime.

Life Below Zero Next Generation
Season 2, Episode 2 "Hard Luck"

My last lever gun hoorah. Rugers from here in out.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess it comes down to definition of "dangerous game" - I always think of the classical African version that is the big 5, plus hippo and crocodile. Their hunting regulations have minimum cartridge requirements - typically being 375H&H. I can't think of too many lever guns in these cartridges, unless a drop block single shot is classed as a lever gun.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any dangerous game including the big 5. They make concessions for various things, fellas even take DG with muzzleloaders, handguns and bows.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I guess it comes down to definition of "dangerous game" - I always think of the classical African version that is the big 5, plus hippo and crocodile. Their hunting regulations have minimum cartridge requirements - typically being 375H&H. I can't think of too many lever guns in these cartridges, unless a drop block single shot is classed as a lever gun.

Not all countries have minimum requirements

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Big bore handguns on dangerous game... Presenting a unique set of problems! It's foreseeable that as such handguns may often be employed too optimistically... Unintended consequences!!! A whole new set of problems occurring in "food chain". Hunter remains are presumably bio-degradable. (May need to pay attention to clothing, etc.) Not so their super handguns! Side effects to animals consuming hunters AND guns; such including constipation and prolonged irritability! And if such as a Grizzly encounter as ever a nuisance; add constipated, irritated specimen as a force to recon with! Then of course the "foreseeability" issue of manufacturers bringing such "inherently hazardous" handgun products to market..." Yet too the EPA, environmental consequences. Greenhouse gasses enhanced by large animal disrupted-bowel super-flatulence!!!
You get the point... smile smile smile
Best & Stay Safe!
John

158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
African dangerous game is invariably backed up by professional hunters with big game rifles so it's pretty safe regardless whether the hunter has a handgun or elephant gun

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
.... I'm pretty much done with lever guns. I appreciate a no bullsht, 5 minute field strip and cleaning that you get from a Bugger Cockeyed 77 (Ruger 77) rifle. Not to mention, the no bullsht extraction and no bullsht one piece open trigger and finally, the no bullsht open sights and no bullsht integral scope ring system............ .

Music... right there. The voice of experience delivered in a way I appreciate....

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.