-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I started getting junk mail from “The Neptune Society” after my 60th birthday. Apparently it’s a pay-in-advance cremation outfit.

Next time I might take em up on it, save family and friends a bunch of hassles. Not really a fan of funerals.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree
When I think of my mom the first picture in my head is her laying in a box.
When I think of my best friend the first picture is him laying in a box.
Now my brother is dying and the thought is I will travel across three states to see him in a box. Bullchit, who the [bleep] has the right to put that picture in my head? I want to remember my brother the way I want to remember him, and that ain't seeing him in a box.
No funeral for me, nor my wife, direct cremation,. Have a memorial several months down the line so no one feels compelled to come. No laying under some damned rock getting chit on by birds.

[bleep] funerals

Don't go in wherever it is they have the casket.

Did that w 1 uncle and several friends.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I guess it is different for me.

I was with both of my parents until the end...

Both as they passed... and both as the funeral truck left the house... and both buried in a box.

I never think on those images (unless I try).

For me the Soul/Spirit of Life was already gone.

I think on them often, but always something else. Mom in the kitchen or knitting and dad coaching or hustling to make a real estate deal for some happy customer.

Never a burdensome thought... but do wish they were still around for advice or to enjoy my accomplishments or the kid's accomplishments.

I guess we are all different.

Sorry for your loss... All going thru loss.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cremation and have a sip of bourbon[no ice] on me.

FJB & FJT
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Armednfree
When I think of my mom the first picture in my head is her laying in a box.
When I think of my best friend the first picture is him laying in a box.
Now my brother is dying and the thought is I will travel across three states to see him in a box. Bullchit, who the [bleep] has the right to put that picture in my head? I want to remember my brother the way I want to remember him, and that ain't seeing him in a box.
No funeral for me, nor my wife, direct cremation,. Have a memorial several months down the line so no one feels compelled to come. No laying under some damned rock getting chit on by birds.

[bleep] funerals

So, it's not only me. After my paternal grandma died of cancer I wanted to give her a last glance. I shouldn't have done it. I got the key to the funeral parlor from the cemetery gardner. The bodies were placed in seperate chambers. The door was connected to the light switch. But it wasn't a decent light, it was one of those old neon tubes which are flickering. I opened the door and the flickering started and while flickering a saw her pale face and one of her eyes hadn't been closed by the nurse after her death. It took me years to forget what I saw even after looking at some old photographs of her.

Elmer Keith
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I hate them and my family is well aware of my wishes. Straight to the cheapest crematorium and then have a party somewhere to tip a glass, maybe look at some pictures and laugh about the good times. I have had more than my share and will leave this earth with little regret. My friends and family know that and a funeral ruins that memory IMO.

Last thing I want when loved ones are grieving is dealing with anyone of the funeral business.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Told all my family, if you want an open casket, DON't put me in charge of arrangements..........

I have lost all 4 grandparents, have NO memories of them 'in a box'............. I never saw it open...

grandmother asked if I wanted them to open the lid on granddad..... I said no need, my last memory is me sitting on the floor in front of him in his chair with a bunch of family around................. that's how it should be, IMHO!

I have a pic of grandmother at 102 standing in the cane patch with a hoe, after she broke her SECOND hip, that's what I want to remember! She died at 104.....

Dad wants to be cremated and ashes 'spread'.............. we threaten to dump them in a 5 gal bucket, strap it to the back of the airboat and run up and down the Chassahowitzka River 'til he's gone............. he laughs and says that's good enough for me! He's 92, 6 weeks out of a hip replacement, he cut up a 90' pine tree yesterday that the wind blew down while he was laid up.....

Some people say they need to 'see it' for closure.................. maybe, but I never understood that, I have absolutely NO doubts they are gone!

But, we are all different, and there aren't any hard and fast rules to how this goes, just remember what ever is done is for those that remain, 'cause the 'host' don't care anymore!

Last edited by Muffin; 02/25/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My dad still isnt in a box.
Thought he should be. Hospice. Saying it could take days, or a week.
Family is wearing out....not good.

Being in the box aint a bad thing.

Its really really horrible, getting them there.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
No box and no morbid funeral for me. I guess I have no say in it but that’s my wishes. Edk

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The only person I think about "in a box" is my maternal grandmother. She used to "puff" when she'd nap and we'd all giggle about it. I was in my early teens when she passed away. She looked very lifelike in the casket and I finally said, "I keep waiting for her to puff." and all the family in the room had a good laugh, sort of lightened the mood. Dad told me later that everyone was thinking it (IE the puffing) but none of the adults felt like they should say it but it was perfectly appropriate that I did. I don't always picture her like that, but occasionally it comes up with family and we still get a chuckle. I don't think she'd mind.

As for the rest of the folks I've seen in caskets, that's never the memory that I think of, its just not. That thinking of folks in a box business sounds like an awful curse.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Raeford
Cremation and have a sip of bourbon[no ice] on me.

Yep.

Total harvest for anything usable and cremate the rest, memorial service down the line if family wants it.

No obituary, no funeral.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do not mind the box that much but do mind the morbid funeral home. Have told my wife, I want a Wake, with open bar, music, (country and gospel) and want my friends to each tell a funny story about me. Laugh, live and have fun. I will be there in spirit.

NOTE: 2 songs I definitely want sung at the Wake are Jamie Johnson's :Lead me Home" and Prop me up by the Jukebox.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One of my grandfathers had bad tremors well before I was ever born, he could hardly feed himself and when he did....it was a mess. First time I ever saw him not shaking was in that box..a lot of emotions seeing him still like that. He was so proud of his funeral arrangements, I remember years earlier...going with him and my mother to the funeral home and him picking out his casket etc and him paying for everything in advance.

Waiting on the call about my other grandfather any day now. Gonna be a rough one.

Last edited by killerv; 02/25/21.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by CCCC
As much as a stranger can, I feel for you as those specific images dominate the mental pictures of your loved ones. I am sorry - not only for your genuine sense of loss - but for the frustration and even anger about the parting circumstances and the way those seem to dominate. The deaths of loved ones can move us deeply and even change our outlook on life, especially when we experience several such losses in a short time. I wish you peace and a sense of certainty as you plan your way.

Completely agree.

My solution isn’t to not go to the funeral or to be cremated but to avoid walking up and looking at corpses.

I’ve found the ceremony of a funeral to be deeply therapeutic but I am also deeply religious and I know those w/o such faith feel differently.

Death is a part of life and we all live in and with the absence of our dead loved ones.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Nothing is worse than seeing a child in a box, I lost a good friend that had a car accident when we were teenagers. I can still picture his dad sitting beside the casket just staring at him crying. About 10 years ago, my boss lost two daughers in a car accident, that was a rough wake. Couldn't imagine.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have helped burry many loved ones. This may fit.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have helped burry many loved ones. This may fit.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Ps 90 was featured prominently at both my parents’ funerals and will at mine & my wife’s.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Been thinking on this a lot lately. Who will remember me in 100 years? Then why the tomb stone? I'm with Toot. Harvest whatever is useful, cremate the rest.

What I am currently thinking about is mandating a variety of locations around America for my ashes to be spread. I'd provide funds for my kids and force them to see and experience out great land. Things like, scatter some ash on Ellis Island then have a steak dinner at the Oak room.

Thoughts?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Keith Richards snorted some of his fathers ashes. How the heck is that joker still alive.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Try to leave things a little better than you found them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 1,955 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.