Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Loggah
They havent figured out that serial numbers under 10,000 are actually 1895 models !!!!!! crazy they will get there some day.

Apparently, someone other than myself will have to educate them.

An armed society is a polite society.
GB1

A
A
At least with the records being at Cody researches will have the opportunity to study the records in an environment where the records will be well looked after.for poserity.

In my case all I have to do is jump on a plane!

regards

AlanD
Sydney

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What are the other 2 higher levels of membership, 1 of 1,000 at $1,000 and the Phaska Circle at $2,500?
Their website is terrible in describing Membership benefits ... as in, they don't.

"Too often people do not recognize Opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like Work." Thomas Alva Edison
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You have to click on it as if you are starting to sign up to see it.

1-of-1000 : 20 serial number searches, 10 free factory letters, bunch of museum stuff

Pahaska Circle - 25 serial number searches, 15 factory letters, 50% discount on fee items, museum stuff

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I think the trick is to letter a bunch while a member.

For $150 member, you can get info on 5 rifles. Not factory letters, but an email detailing what the ledgers say. That's $30/gun.

For $250, you get 2 factory letters and info on another 10 guns. That's $21/gun.

For $500, you get 5 letters and info on 15 guns. That's under $17/gun.

But yes.. if you just want info on 1 to 3 guns, the Callahan days are sorely missed.

Nobody caught my math oops? $500 option is $25/gun for info, not $17/gun.

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
well as I'm not one for posting much , or at all really ! while reading all the moaning and groaning I feel I must tune in on this one. holy smoly tuff crowd here.. let me ask how many have you actually have visited cody museum and know it's history ? do you love guns ? have you met Jessi or anyone else at cody? ive been there several times and been a member for over 20 years . get off your wallets and buy a membership for $150 and you will get 5 searches. not to mention help support the preservation and ongoing research of all weapons. if you are a waca member you get 10 more searches for free. once a member you can buy a search pack starting at $60 for 10 searches! so $6.00 a search. Jessi,angela,other workers, volunteers ect. work hard to provide countless info to tens of thousands of collectors from many different makers. they do know what a 1895 is because I searched two in early January and have those searches as proof. in fact two of my 1899 rifles that savage sent errors in the letters I had searched by cody and they came back correct and I have those as proof as well.. you will all see that cody getting the records will be the best thing that's happened to savage collecting in a very long time. I don't know about you but paying $30 by mail and waiting months for a letter back was hardly a good service . I can now email them in the morning and usually within 2 days sometimes faster have a email back with all info on gun. and after being a member it only cost $6.00. a search ! they will eventually transfer all ledger info to computer as they did with winchester, marlin ect.. then it will be even better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rare99s
well as I'm not one for posting much , or at all really ! while reading all the moaning and groaning I feel I must tune in on this one. holy smoly tuff crowd here.. let me ask how many have you actually have visited cody museum and know it's history ? do you love guns ? have you met Jessi or anyone else at cody? ive been there several times and been a member for over 20 years . get off your wallets and buy a membership for $150 and you will get 5 searches. not to mention help support the preservation and ongoing research of all weapons. if you are a waca member you get 10 more searches for free. once a member you can buy a search pack starting at $60 for 10 searches! so $6.00 a search. Jessi,angela,other workers, volunteers ect. work hard to provide countless info to tens of thousands of collectors from many different makers. they do know what a 1895 is because I searched two in early January and have those searches as proof. in fact two of my 1899 rifles that savage sent errors in the letters I had searched by cody and they came back correct and I have those as proof as well.. you will all see that cody getting the records will be the best thing that's happened to savage collecting in a very long time. I don't know about you but paying $30 by mail and waiting months for a letter back was hardly a good service . I can now email them in the morning and usually within 2 days sometimes faster have a email back with all info on gun. and after being a member it only cost $6.00. a search ! they will eventually transfer all ledger info to computer as they did with winchester, marlin ect.. then it will be even better.

It might be great for collectors who want a lot of info year after year after year.

For the normal guy who wants info on one gun, the price is $75 for that letter. Or $150 for two letters. Saying "Well, you can letter 3 more rifles for that $150 doesn't help the guy who owns 2 rifles. And they won't "interpret" to tell you what model you have, they'll just tell you what's in the ledgers.

That's not "even better" than it was for the last 30+ years for the normal guy. For us, maybe. But I know I don't need to letter 10 rifles every year.

And your math is off. That "$60 for 10 searches" comes after the $150 payment, right? So it's ($150 + $60) gets you (5 searches + 10 searches)? So 15 searches for $210, or $14 per search? Good price, I agree. But I remember $20 letters, $25 letters weren't that long ago.

They don't mention these packs anywhere on their web site, so it's kind of hard to know what you're getting for how much money or even what's available. And yes, I've been there several times and have a lot of pictures to show for it, great place I agree. I've also been to the J.M. Davis museum, I've been to an NRA firearm Museum. Unfortunately I'm not quite situated to just join every firearm museum as a member because they are a great thing.

I'd be interested to see what info you got on your rifles, to get more of a feel for what we can expect. If you don't mind?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cody, letters and fax sheets work best for people in the gun selling business, Its well worth it to them when a lot of Winchesters, and Marlin,savage rifles move thru their doors. I was overloaded when i visited Cody years ago ,after 5 hrs i just said thats enough!! I think for us collectors the fax sheets are the way to go,all the info same as the letters. I think i have a dozen or so letters, and over 100 fax sheets on Winchester and marlins thru them.I have a couple on savage, Its not the same as a letter from Roe or John savage employees that gave it their personal touch. Don

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

As I recall there was a lot of grumbling by some members on this forum re. both the turn around time and content of Savage Factory letters after JTC retired.
Nothing stays the same forever. One either plays or they don’t.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It’s not a perfect world, and I’m sure they will do their best. But, here’s a case that would be a very expensive answer to a question. I have a 1919 250 where the butt stock serial number is a bit off of the receiver. Being a rifle of high condition, the previous owner lettered both numbers. The receiver number came back with the rifle details. The butt stock number came back that no rifle of that S/N left the factory. So, it was worth the 50 bucks for two letters.

Now, Johno just posted the exact same question for a 22 HP he’s looking at, in lesser condition. Is it worth 150 bucks to get two letters on that rifle?

I guess the value of information is only relative to the person seeking the information.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 02/25/21.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would say, no. But given that both serials (rifles) would have been shipped down under at the same time and then parts switched is interesting. I think a switch at the factory is more likely.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I joined.. and I have to say Rare99s was right. Once you join you can buy "packets" of factory letters or serial number searches that are far cheaper than it would have been getting them through Savage Arms. Get enough, and it's cheaper than it was even than it was with Callahan.

But.. it kicks in only in larger numbers. If you have just a gun or three that you want info or letters on, it's going to be pricey.

On the plus side, most of the membership is tax deductible.

$75 for one letter as a non-member. No way to reduce that if you just want one letter.
$150 gets you two letters as a non-member, or it gets you a membership with 5 searches and a $120 tax deduction.
After $150, it gets cheaper with packs of letters or searches you can buy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 30 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.