Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hi
I already have a non-scoped Benjamin 397 PA, with a williams peep on it, and want to keep that rifle in it's current state.

But, I would like to purchase a durable and accurate rifle which is manufactured for a relatively easy scope mount.
Am leaning toward .177, as I will be mainly shooting barn birds and squirrels at around 20 to 25 yards. A scoped rifle would be just right, as long as the rifle itself has very good accuracy.

Would like to stay in the $300 area as a target (for rifle only) if I can get good quality at that price level.

What would you suggest I take a peek at, and would you agree that .177 is a good match for my expected use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There are a lot of ways you could go, depending on what kind of powerplant you want.

I have a couple Hatsan 125s, they come with a solid dovetail/weaver base. Easy scope mounting. They come with a scope and rings, but those are pretty crappy. Here's one with a Hawke 3-9x40, in SWFA rings.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lots of Gamo models out there too, and others, in your price range. I don't have any firsthand with them.

Another option I am just getting into, PCP. I just picked up an Air Venturi Avenger in 25 caliber. They also come in 17 and 22 cal. Anyhoo, the rifle is $299. Comes with a nice rail for dovetail or Weaver/Picatinny rings. The Avenger has an externally adjustable regulator, so you can dial it up or down to suit your needs. Of course the PCP requires a source of HP air. I have a hand pump for now, may see about a compressor down the road.

https://www.airgundepot.com/air-venturi-avenger-air-rifle.html

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Springer or PCP?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I’m thinking springer

--- Will Rogers
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you’re interested, I have a Hatsan Model 95, Vortex QE, .22 cal, topped with a UTG Swat 3-12x44, 30mm tube. Everything was bought new at the end of November from Pyramyd Air. I’ll include a couple tins (one unopened) of JSB 18.13 grain pellets. I know you mentioned wanting .177 but send me a message if you’re interested. Links for everything below.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan_95_Air_Rifle_Combo_Vortex_Gas_Spring/3411#7705

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_...MOA_30mm_Tube_See_Thru_Weaver_Rings/3493

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/JSB_...eavy_22_Cal_18_13_Grains_Domed_500ct/690

Last edited by birddog1; 02/25/21.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Add $50 to your budget and get one of these.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_R7_Air_Rifle/1899

Or just do this and have the scope & mounts and be ready to go by just adding pellets.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_R7_Elite_Series_Combo/1561

Expensive, yes. More fun than a barrel of monkeys, heck yes. A high quality spring air rifle is like the fountain of youth. A cheap one will sit in the closet.

.177 is the way to go with low powered air rifles.

Last edited by centershot; 02/25/21.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot

Or just do this and have the scope & mounts and be ready to go by just adding pellets.

Expensive, yes. More fun than a barrel of monkeys, heck yes. A high quality spring air rifle is like the fountain of youth. A cheap one will sit in the closet.

Truer words were never spoke.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for the excellent recommendations!

Have a great weekend.

--- Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brazos
Originally Posted by centershot

Truer words were never spoke.

+2. Easy to cock, easy on scopes, easy to shoot.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
You can get an RWS 34 with decent German quality in your price range.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Could also recommend the Weihrauch HW50S. A small step up in power from the R7 (made by Weihrauch for Beeman) and priced the same. If the budget is tight, an HW30S is the same as the R7 but priced about $35 cheaper. Either one you choose, these are lifetime guns you won't tire of.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by tmitch
Could also recommend the Weihrauch HW50S. A small step up in power from the R7 (made by Weihrauch for Beeman) and priced the same. If the budget is tight, an HW30S is the same as the R7 but priced about $35 cheaper. Either one you choose, these are lifetime guns you won't tire of.

Tmitch and others,
Your opinion, please:
If choosing the HW50S or Beeman R7, should I stick to .177 only?
If going to the R9, should I jump up to .22?

Also, can a Leupold vx1 or vx2 handle springer recoil, or do I need to hunt up some kind of springer-rated scope?

Thanks for your help, I think this is coming to a decision with all your experience helping me along.

--- Will Rogers
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
If I were to buy an R7 or HW50, I'd stay 177. The velocity is 700fps max with a 177 pellet so a .20 is going to be slower yet.

There's a lot more 177 pellets than 20 cal so that would push me to 177 as well.

What you gain over your current 177 is ease of use (single cock) and scope accuracy.

The more powerful air rifles I've had work well with the larger calibers .20-22-25 but they move more when shot and can a bit trickier to master. You may not need that level of power/recoil.

.20 is my favorite but with their shrinking pellet options, a 22 makes more sense and while a.25 throws a bigger pellet, the trajectory from a springer is trickier to account for unless you shoot one caliber only and get to know it well. Which I never do...

This is the 'fire so of course the right answer is, get one of each! I

f the "Bug" bites you as hard as it's bitten me and some others, you'll get a third rifle and then a fourth rifle anyway... fair warning!

An Air Rifle rated scope will keep things simple too. It took years but I killed a Bushnell and a Burris when using them on magnum air rifles..
PS, the Beeman has a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by colodog; 03/06/21. Reason: add comment

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I were to get an HW35/R7 I would stick with .177 as others have said. For my HW50S I chose .22 cal due more to it's easier for my fumble fingers to handle the pellets. It has enough velocity to penetrate both sides of a soup can at 25 yds and it makes a satisfying "smack" on marauding starlings.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks much to all for all your great advise and wisdom.
Very much appreciated!

--- Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Old Crab, sent you a PM.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.