Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[So, if the SAF seems to be the better shooter, I think he'd go with it without reservations.

Would like opinions and ideas on which one of those two you guys would pick, assuming equivalent accuracy...

DF

I've always had consistency issues accuracy-wise with all Partions. I suspect you'll get slightly better penetration with the NPs and that is a definite plus, but i had no issues with the two buffs and the 400gr A Frame.

I shot a mature bull Bison with a 400 grain partition from a 416 Rigby muzzle velocity of 2370 FPS. Rib cage shot the bullet bulged behind the partition like an A-frame. The lead was 3/16" below the jacket at the base and the base was pinched together as if the bullet tumbled. Penetration did not reached the offside rib cage.

Was not impressed

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by CRS
Going to try and shoot my 416 Rem this weekend. 350gr Speers and testing H4895, IMR 4166 and TAC velocities. Hoping to get between 2500-2600fps with 350gr bullets.

Once I determine the powder that is giving desired velocity. I will then develop a go to load with the 350gr TSX and file in the Dakota Arms open sights that were recently installed.

I know you are just working up bullets and loads based on the PH's wishes. But I am not going to screw around with solids, and if I ever make it back to Africa for another buffalo, solids will not accompany me.

I can possibly understand the use of solids behind the leaded premium bullets, but I see no reason when using a mono.

I don't understand people that don't make their own decisions about what they are going to use on THEIR hunt.
The hunter is paying the PH therefore the the PH works for the hunter. The PH can suggest but the hunter has the right to make his own choice of bullets

I agree 100%, I would not go with a PH that insists on solids. When I was organizing my hunt, I asked the PH what he preferred and he stated "Barnes or A-fames, whatever shoots best". Barnes it was, and one shot through the heart took care of it. Asked if I should shoot again and he said might as as well. For the third shot he replied "no, he's dead"
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But, per usual, shot placement solves a lot of issues.

Last edited by CRS; 02/25/21.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'd bet an exit as well. Excellent terminal performance

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I got that unload/load drill from Bill, head honcho at Swift. Seemed to work for him. Empty rifle with a wounded buff nearby doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. But I’m not a buff hunter, he is. And he makes the bullets. I’m just a reloader. Bill was very helpful with technical info, so I’m in no position to criticize him. He knows a lot more about all this than I do.

DF

Dirtfarmer, these comments aren't directed at you, just to the the general participants of the thread.

Well, people do all sorts of different things and I suppose Bill is probably more experienced than I am. It doesn't sound smart to me, but who am I to say?

In any case, I'm a firm believer in listening to your PH and using his assumed greater experience on hunting buffalo than I possess. If you happen to have the ability to pick and choose your PH and can discuss these things with him ahead of time and then find one that has the same beliefs regarding bullets and hunting buffalo as you do, great! However, in my experience, the hunter doesn't always get to choose. Even if you think you'll be hunting with a certain PH, often times something comes up and you end up with a different PH than intended. Personally, I'm not that wedded to my beliefs on buffalo bullets and buffalo hunting, that I can't be flexible. I'd rather have both softs and solids available and then load accordingly based on the PH's recommendations and the situation at hand.

And, by the way, don't think that PH's don't deal with clients all the time that insist their way is the best and pay no mind to the experience of the PH. You can imagine the regard the PH has for clients like this.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another bud, 41" Zim buff with 400 gr. TSX out of a Ruger RSM .416 Rigby. Bullet went thru over 50" of buff, found on far side. He ran, they found him dead after trailing him for a ways. Bud says they perused him too quick, he was down, they saw him get up and run into some thick stuff. He relates, trailing a wounded buff in a thicket can be a bit nerve racking. They were relieved when they found him down and dead.

Different PH, different ordinance.

DF

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It’s nice to have solids on hand when you happen to see a world class duiker or steenbok and want to take it. Punch through like a pencil.

He went over yonder way
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a theory that some of the toughness of Cape Buffalo was perpetrated by using solids of yesteryear. Given the quality of softs back then, solids were the dependable/ logical choice.

I have to go no farther back than witnessing the difference between solids and softs (hollowpoints) out of a 22 rimfire on small game to know which is better for quick humane kills.

Last edited by CRS; 02/25/21.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by CRS
I have a theory that some of the toughness of Cape Buffalo was perpetrated by using solids of yesteryear. Given the quality of softs back then, solids were the dependable/ logical choice.

I have to go no farther back than witnessing the difference between solids and softs (hollowpoints) out of a 22 rimfire on small game to know which is better for quick humane kills.

Agreed

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I killed a nice hippo and a Buff with the 370 gn CEB Safari raptor. Shoot excellent out of my Dakota 416 Rigby. I killed a bunch of other African plains game with it as well. It was a little overkill on some critters but it was the only African caliber I had back in the day.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A HELL of a nice old hard bossed bull there DF, Congrats to your Buddy.

Trump Won!
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dieselfitter
I killed a nice hippo and a Buff with the 370 gn CEB Safari raptor. Shoot excellent out of my Dakota 416 Rigby. I killed a bunch of other African plains game with it as well. It was a little overkill on some critters but it was the only African caliber I had back in the day.

I like CEB Raptors, have shot them in a .308 and a .375 H&H, both surprisingly accurate. I've read that some PH's like them.

I guess until they become better known, more mainstream, the rank and file PH won't even know what they are, must less what they can do...

Like has been said before, those guys are masters of their craft, but not that many are gun nuts. They tend to go with conventional thinking about bullet choices. And, if I was going on my first hunt with one, I'd probably do like my buddy is doing, go with the PH's recommendation.

Some contend it's "your hunt", do your thing. There can be two sides to that story, as there usually are to most stories. I for one, am not gonna try to talk him into using what I may like, but will load what he needs according to the PH's request. He'll have 400 gr. NPT's and 400 gr. SAF's to choose from for the soft and the new Breakaway 400 gr. Swift Solid, tweaked for the same POI. I think he'll be in good shape regardless of the order in which they load those rounds. He's an experienced BG hunter and an accomplished field marksman. When the PH gives him a shot, that buff's gonna get whacked.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500

Thanks, gunner.

Bud has been in law enforcement most of his career. Retired from a state job, he went to work for the U. S. Marshal Service. He said his biggest challenge was staying is shape to keep with with those guys, many less than half his age. But, he did.

He told his PH, he didn't want an "old man's hunt", and the PH obliged him. He said it was a pretty hard hunt but he kept up with the PH and his guys. Talking to him, I think that was half the pleasure he got out of the experience. Of course, a 41" buff is nothing to sneeze at and it looks good on his wall...

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/26/21.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Heeler
It’s nice to have solids on hand when you happen to see a world class duiker or steenbok and want to take it. Punch through like a pencil.

My smallest critter was a serval at ~50 yards with the 350 gr TSX 416 Rem. It's laying in my office with a bushbuck, waterbuck, buffalo and kudu all dropped at the shot. The bullet just worked.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Bill loads his rifle with A-Frames, has solids on his belt. He takes his shot or shots with softs, cycles remaining softs on the ground for staff to pick up. He loads solids from his belt to finish the hunt. I don’t think I’d want to be standing there with an empty gun. Maybe he can load pretty fast. Seems to me that could be a hole in his program.

I’d think two softs then two solids. Drop two solids, top it off with a soft, one soft up the spout. Two softs then two solids. Doubt you’d get more than two soft shots before it was solid time. I’ve never hunted buff, he has. So, his experience is worth serious consideration. My thinking is just theoretical, his is from experience.

How do you guys who use softs and solids handle that?

DF

I would just shoot 350 grain TSX and forget the solids. But thats just me

Yep. My PH in Zim used the 400 gr TSX (416 Rigby) with no solids unless, of course, elephant was on the menu.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
Bill loads his rifle with A-Frames, has solids on his belt. He takes his shot or shots with softs, cycles remaining softs on the ground for staff to pick up. He loads solids from his belt to finish the hunt. I don’t think I’d want to be standing there with an empty gun. Maybe he can load pretty fast. Seems to me that could be a hole in his program.

I’d think two softs then two solids. Drop two solids, top it off with a soft, one soft up the spout. Two softs then two solids. Doubt you’d get more than two soft shots before it was solid time. I’ve never hunted buff, he has. So, his experience is worth serious consideration. My thinking is just theoretical, his is from experience.

How do you guys who use softs and solids handle that?

DF

I would just shoot 350 grain TSX and forget the solids. But thats just me

Yep. My PH in Zim used the 400 gr TSX (416 Rigby) with no solids unless, of course, elephant was on the menu.

Sounds like my bud’s Zim PH. I wonder if those guys compare notes, have a regional best use protocol?

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Thanks, gunner.

Bud has been in law enforcement most of his career. Retired from a state job, he went to work for the U. S. Marshal Service. He said his biggest challenge was staying is shape to keep with with those guys, many less than half his age. But, he did.

He told his PH, he didn't want an "old man's hunt", and the PH obliged him. He said it was a pretty hard hunt but he kept up with the PH and his guys. Talking to him, I think that was half the pleasure he got out of the experience. Of course, a 41" buff is nothing to sneeze at and it looks good on his wall...

DF

Man that's cool as hell, I just had a buff hunt too, averaged 10.5 mi per day with just over 11 being the longest, over mountains and through dry and wet river sand, not an old man hunt I guess, didn't think to ask, still damn near kilt my lazy ass ; ] very glad for your old Bud, hope this other Bud connects and has a hell of a hunt too.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Thanks, gunner.

DF

Man that's cool as hell, I just had a buff hunt too, averaged 10.5 mi per day with just over 11 being the longest, over mountains and through dry and wet river sand, not an old man hunt I guess, didn't think to ask, still damn near kilt my lazy ass ; ] very glad for your old Bud, hope this other Bud connects and has a hell of a hunt too.

Bud with this buff if a gun nut. He was shooting 400 gr. TSX over 100 gr. H-4831 with Fed 125's out of his .416 Rigby RSM. Said he shot that gun 250-300 times off hand at a hundred, getting ready. (sounds like someone else I know)... grin

Then killed this buff at 25 yds. with one TSX.

Other bud is an experienced BG hunter, but depends on me to do his gun work, which I don't mind doing. He has a fine hunting property that I use, help with tractor work, etc. In fact, I loaded some 350 Speer "rabbit" loads for him to practice with in his .416 Rem M-70. Well, I'm gonna pull those and seat the 400's, he never shot them.

I'll be doing the sighting, although there may not be that much difference at 50 yds, 350's vs 400's. We'll see. Bill at Swift said to sight at 50 yds. I had sighted the 350's at a hundred on a standing bench.

So, when everything arrives, I'll have (24) Swift Breakaway solids, (50) 400 gr. NPT's and (42) 400 gr. SAF's plus more brass. Bill said to load (3) rounds with the 400 gr. SAF, 73 gr. 74 gr. 75 gr. 4064 and shoot. Then adjust the Solid load for same POI as softs, all at 50 yds. His Swift solids are loaded with 77 gr. 4064.

I'm almost tempted to duplicate Swift factory loads and go shoot. I now know exactly the COAL, load, etc. of Swift A-Frame ammo, both soft and solid, even details on crimping..

Different guys, both good hunters, one a Loony/hunter, one a hunter who's killed more BG in more places than the Loony bud ever thought about. He's shot caribou, moose, elk, bear, deer, nilgai, etc, in the lower 48, Mexico, Alaska and Canada. He had a great PG hunt in RSA 2 yrs ago. I've posted stuff on that hunt and the "magic" 160 gr. NAB 7RM load over RL-26. At least he thinks it's magic, was magic for him. So, now to develop a "magic" .416 Rem load for buff.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/01/21.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, damn good stuff DF, you'll get him pointed in the right direction, good company to keep, "Those Two" cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
gunner, yeah, they both great guys. The Loony type, I grew up with. The one headed over for buff, I've known around 15 yrs. or so. We hunt together all the time.

With 50 yds being Bill's recommended sight in distance and the gun already sighted for 350 Speers, what's wrong with duplicating Swift A-Frame commercial ammo, getting on the standing bench and tweaking 50 yd. POI with the 400's. Bill said their SAF ammo has 75 gr. 4064, the solid has 77 gr. So, evidently that's how they got the solid load, shooting it behind the SAF load, tweaking until POI was close.

I generally like to work up loads, but we're shooting very expensive stuff, don't have an unlimited supply of components and that thing kicks.... shocked

I'm not a hoss like you... cool

I can duplicate Bill's factory ammo data and go shoot. That doesn't sound too Loony, but at this point, I'm looking for a quick fix, a good result, burning up the least ammo.

What ya think? I won't be able to chrono with the standing bench, but if it's the same load as Swift commercial ammo, who cares.

BTW, I was using 4064 with the 350 Speer load before I knew how cool 4064 actually was... Go figure.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/01/21.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, I'd run with it, you got it handled, plus saving those near unobtainum components, you know, next steak house visit, i'll bring my 416 Rigby I torched the throat in, it's the only rifle I have that has whisker burns on the side of the stock and my right pinky finger wore the blue off the face of the steel grip cap, I shot the chit out of that thing getting ready for Africa, read to many mage about it I guess. grin

Am going back to the Limpopo this fall, come hell or high water.

Trump Won!
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (6MMWASP, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 11 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,189
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.