Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I want to have a barreled action finished with the black nitride (ferritic nitrocarburizing) treatment, which from what I read involves heating the steel to around 1000 degrees. The barrel has a front sight ramp that was silver soldered/brazed on and I'm wondering whether that will affect the process/finish? I have an email about this into the company that offers the service and am still waiting to hear back. I recall that the Remington 700 bolts are brazed together and I suppose 700s get finished with black nitride at times.

Just wondering whether anyone here has already been down this road already and whether the brazed joint had to be removed and cleaned before treatment or was it unaffected by the process or did the sight ramp (or whatever part) come off the gun? Thanks in advance!

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This reminds me that I sent a question via email to H&M more than a month ago. Still no reply.

I'm also interested to learn more about your inquiry.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve sent hundreds of them out to be nitrided. The answer is, it depends. If the joint was properly fitted and brazed they’ll stay on with no issues, silver solder melts at 1250deg IIRC. If they are poorly fitted and brazed I’ve had them come off. A poorly brazed sight ramp may stay on under normal conditions for decades with one tiny point of contact actually brazed but the extreme heat and expansion of the nitride process may make it pop off. The only way to really tell is to do it.
If everything is good it shouldn’t. If not and they come off we just learned to deal with it. Sights that came off I’d usually drill and tap them back on with a screw hidden under the dovetail and a good epoxy under the ramp. Bolt handles I’d clean up and TIG weld before sending back in to be treated again. Not much else to do. I’d say normally your odds are %95 or better of no issues.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Dinny
This reminds me that I sent a question via email to H&M more than a month ago. Still no reply.

I'm also interested to learn more about your inquiry.

Thanks, Dinny

Dinny, It's not the first email to them that's gone unanswered (although I sent this one Saturday so I'm not expecting a reply until tomorrow at the earliest), but emails seem to be generally overlooked by a lot of companies. I keep trying to do it because of hearing problems using the phone. I can hear pretty good in print wink. I'll try to remember to post back when I get a response. I may also throw caution to the wind and call them today!

TheKid, thanks for the reassurance. I'm fine with reuniting the ramp and barrel with the screw and epoxy; do you know whether epoxy is stronger than Loctite Black Max? I have some of that as well.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just heard back from them this morning and was told that if the solder joint on the ramp gives up while it's in the tank they can't recover a part that small, so I will remove it first. I think it was put on with Brownell's low-temperature silver solder anyway.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steven60
I want to have a barreled action finished with the black nitride (ferritic nitrocarburizing) treatment, which from what I read involves heating the steel to around 1000 degrees. The barrel has a front sight ramp that was silver soldered/brazed on and I'm wondering whether that will affect the process/finish? I have an email about this into the company that offers the service and am still waiting to hear back. I recall that the Remington 700 bolts are brazed together and I suppose 700s get finished with black nitride at times.

Just wondering whether anyone here has already been down this road already and whether the brazed joint had to be removed and cleaned before treatment or was it unaffected by the process or did the sight ramp (or whatever part) come off the gun? Thanks in advance!

I sent two last week. Should be getting them back next week. I've heard nothing but good about their process. (QPQ)

Tarquin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Address or email on the nitride company thanks

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bella1
Address or email on the nitride company thanks

blacknitride.com
H&M Metal Processing
1414 Kenmore Blvd.
Akron, OH 44314

Every day’s an adventure.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They also have a facility in Arizona.

Tarquin
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
They also opened one in Florida recently.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Jacob Coons is the receiving manager at H & M and the one who kindly answered all my questions.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I got mine back today and they look nice. You can't tell the difference between the stainless barrel and chrome moly receiver.

Tarquin
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you're worried about the braze failing due to process temp, another option is to go with the DLC process. It is a gas plasma nitriding process that has similar mechanical properties and looks very similar to QPQ nitriding, but is done at much lower temperature. The other advantage of DLC is it can be applied to any metal, not just steel. The only downside is it's a "line of sight" process that cannot be applied inside the bore, so if part of the reason you wanted to go with QPQ was for additional wear-resistance inside the bore, DLC won't give you that.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would soldering on after nitriding destroy the finish? To messy?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What is the approximate cost for getting the black nitride finish on a barreled action?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by strosfann
What is the approximate cost for getting the black nitride finish on a barreled action?

I've never done a gun, but the guys in this link said $150 for a barreled action

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...rue/re-h-m-nitriding-review#Post15859797

We've done it for industrial parts in a high wash down (caustics and acids weekly, humid environment daily) that we couldn't source in stainless. It has always held up well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had H&M do a muzzleloader for me and it's great. My "covid project" M70 will be back from JES soon and will need new metal finish. I'm on the fence about either having H&M nitride it or Mahovsky's Metalife (hard chrome) it. Similar price for both but they can't nitride the aluminium trigger guard. Guess it boils down to if I want black or silver. confused Thought about Cerakoting but can't justify spending more money for a less durable finish.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
S
Heating a bolt action receiver to 1000*F will ruin the heat treat and make an unsafe rifle. 1000*F is glowing red hot.

Last edited by Scota4570; 03/10/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Scota4570
Heating a bolt action receiver to 1000*F will ruin the heat treat and make an unsafe rifle. 1000*F is glowing red hot.

Wow, an armchair metalurgist here. There are thousands of guns so treated every year. 1000⁰ doesn't even come close to the tempering heat used. I've never had an issue other than sometimes reduced performance in the bore

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1000 is showing color.
Glowing red would be close to, but under critical, 1300 maybe.
Approaching quench, 14-1500, depending on steel type

Tempering heats would be lower.
Under 1000 for spring.

400ish for a blade.

But, I won't begin to claim to be a metalurgist.
Only with the help of spell check do I dare try to spell it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.