Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I have been working with Ruger MK. III target pistol, Ruger 10/22 in Hogue stock with Nikon (Philippines) 4X, and circa 1950s Marlin 39. I am trying to improve my ability to hit within a one-inch circle — squirrel or rabbit's head. Much of my work to achieve the goal has been by futzing (technical term for spending a great deal of money before analyzing specifics of how to achieve intended goal) with firearms.

I am now at the stage where I request information from experienced 22 LR shooters. Having large quantities of standard Hi-speed 40-grain solids and 37??- grain hollow points to use, the range at which my one-inch circle ceases to be routine is about 35 yards. Since I have never owned a target rifle or shot any target ammunition, I'm beginning to think 35 yards is it unless I invest in different firearms and hugely more expensive ammunition.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
GB1

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many 22 LR firearms will show a preference for a particular make and type of 22 ammo. You have to shoot them all to find out what shoots best.

But I have found that CCI Standard Velocity shoots very well in many different firearms. I'd recommend you find some and try it. It is cheaper than match quality ammo and more readily available current crises excluded.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
VERY generally speaking, you won't get the most accurate results with high velocity ammo. No match grade ammo is HV, If you ask anyone in the rimfire BR game, none of them use high velocity ammo.
That said, I have had pretty good results out of Geco Semi-Auto ammo in a CZ 512, it averages .368" at 50 yards with a cheap 3-9 scope on it.The Geco ammo is somewhat faster than standard velocity, it is "optimized" for semi-autos, supposedly. It also shoots fairly well in my 10/22s, CCI Blazer has also been good (the 40gr. stuff, not the new 38gr. load).

As always, your results may vary in your particular rifles and pistol.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 10/22 is made for reliability with hunting accuracy. It is possible that 1" at 35 yards is the best the stock rifle can do. Can you have someone else shoot the rifle to see if it is the rifle or you? If the rifle is the issue, a couple hundred dollar tuneup can double your range with regular hardware store ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have not fixed the trigger on your MK (whatever) do that first. Next you may need to upgrade your scope. Something with an AO so that parallax is not an issue. It is entirely possible and expected for a quality rifle to print even cheap ammo into 1" @ 35 yards. Many about 1/2 your standard. As mentioned above trying different ammo can sometime really make a difference. I like Fed Bulk Pack 550 Hollow Points and Fed Auto Match Bulk Pack - Walmart stuff, cheap and accurate. I still get an occasional flyer but that is the trade off for cheap ammo.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
VERY generally speaking, you won't get the most accurate results with high velocity ammo. No match grade ammo is HV, If you ask anyone in the rimfire BR game, none of them use high velocity ammo.
That said, I have had pretty good results out of Geco Semi-Auto ammo in a CZ 512, it averages .368" at 50 yards with a cheap 3-9 scope on it.The Geco ammo is somewhat faster than standard velocity, it is "optimized" for semi-autos, supposedly. It also shoots fairly well in my 10/22s, CCI Blazer has also been good (the 40gr. stuff, not the new 38gr. load).

As always, your results may vary in your particular rifles and pistol.

Very true - also depends on what you're doing. When I started shooting .22 at 200 yards the Federal Hi-Vel match turned out to be best. I suspect I have a dozen or more subsonic brands on hand and a few more high vel - You just ever know.

Now, lets not go down the rim-thickness rathole. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
HV likely becomes SV in the MkIII, and may shoot as well as you can or better. In your 10/22, you never know until you try a bunch of stuff, tough to do now. Bear in mind that if a rifle shoots one-inch groups, the bullets should land within 1/2” of where you aim, so won’t limit your success on rabbits or even squirrels out pretty far. A Ruger BX trigger is a good, easy, cheap upgrade to help you get the best out of your 10/22. Might be enough to satisfy your requirements, and right now it’s something you can do without waiting for the ammo crunch to subside.

In general, CCI SV shoots pretty well in just about anything. Mini-Mags are practically the gold standard for reliable function in autoloaders, and usually shoot pretty well too. Good killers on squirrels too. Rabbits can be killed with a dirty look.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
The 10/22 is made for reliability with hunting accuracy. It is possible that 1" at 35 yards is the best the stock rifle can do. Can you have someone else shoot the rifle to see if it is the rifle or you? If the rifle is the issue, a couple hundred dollar tuneup can double your range with regular hardware store ammo.

Maybe a simple $180.00 green mountain barrel is all that one needs?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

One of these certainly helped my 10-22.

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/901914-20-ss-sporter-barrel-10-22/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The OP never states what kind of rest or shooting position he's using. That could be a big part of the problem right there.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

One of these certainly helped my 10-22.

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/901914-20-ss-sporter-barrel-10-22/

Yep, thats the one I'll be getting today from the brown truck.. Guys at the club use them with pretty good results..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.