Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I agree 26Remguy. A friend purchased 100 new empty brass cases years ago and has never had problems with ammo. He s still using 50 of the cases and 50 are still unfired. He uses the .270 WSM just enough to annually sight in and one or two cartridges for his every year deer. I have never seen a lot of ammo available for the WSM's here in North East Tennessee. I'm glad I have stayed with the .270 Win., 9.3 x 62, 30-06 and the 6.5 x 55. No problems with ammo as I reload. I've never killed anything with a factory load. The 6.5 x 55 has been my varmint rifle for many years with the 100 gr. Sierra bullet. The jacket is hard and I've seen a lot of groundhogs flop around and then get up and get into their hole...NEVER,EVER to be seen again.
However, the Hornady bullets explode the little fellows. Hornady's do not shoot very well in my 6.5 x 55.

roanmtn

Glenn Campbell
BP-B2

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I agree 100%. I have a photo album full of deer and other critters shot here and in Africa. The .270 Win. did well from 40-350 yards.

roanmtn

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Rem 700 300 SAUM, and a Ruger M77 MkII 7 SAUM....purchased at least 300 pieces of brass for each and can't remember when I last shot a factory round in either. The only other rifle I had at the time was a 308 Win, and the SAUMs were the reason I started reloading....and tinkering with stocks, and bedding, and chronos, and powders.......

So if you are going short mag, you really should be reloading.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well crap if I didn't buy guns and components I 'd probably spend the money on good liquor , bad women, eating out, and rubber dogsh*t from wallyworld. I never heard of anyone getting rich from passbook savings acct. Hell I drive a toyota tacoma and am seen occasionally in a F-150 so that I can look like part of the affluent society. No one really ever had to many guns or ammo and right now it's at its highest value monetarily. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Does the 270 WSM have the same "Campfire" issues that the 270 does? Asking for a friend..............

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Does the 270 WSM have the same "Campfire" issues that the 270 does? Asking for a friend..............

Good one!

Last edited by Odessa; 02/25/21.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have had two 270 WSMs. One shoots very well, the other only so-so. The good shooter I got for a crazy good price used, scoped, with forty tuned handloads using Bergers. I used it one day to kill a good WT buck I surprised (and he surprised me too!) in a dry sagebrush draw. Then the next morning shot a pronghorn in the same place. I haven't had any trouble finding new brass... got my latest bag primed a month ago.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I hunt with both a 270 and 270wsm in Tikka flavor. The wsm is the one I find myself reaching for most of the time (my 7STW, 30-06, 300wby, and 308 just don’t get used as much any more). I do hunt with the 270win and 35 Whelen every year....but not as much. I shoot all of them every year before deer season to make sure their gtg. Because I hunt exclusively with hand loads (unless I’m shooting my 300 or 340wby), ammo availability isn’t an issue for my lifetime. It would take deep contemplation to understand the reasoning. For me, I’m happy with the short fat cases. In fact, a commercialized 6.5wsm would quickly find a home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd say I don't have time for short fat rounds, but I have two 350 RM's. I'd rather they be Whelens to tell you the truth.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have considerable hunting experience with the .270 WSM, 7mm SAUM and .300 WSM. They all worked fine in the rifles I've owned or tested, including two .270 WSMs and 3-4 .300 WSMs, but the short mag I've hunted with most was the 7mm SAUM. used it for several years on hunts from Texas to Quebec. All proved to be very accurate, but I dunno if that had as much to do with cartridge design as the rifles. In general, even factory rifles had already started becoming noticeably more accurate by the time the short mags appeared. Have owned several..300 Winchester Magnums that were at least as accurate as my .300 WSMs.

Dunno whether they kill better than "standard" rounds either, but then after decades of hunting and hundreds of animals have seen far less difference in killing power between various cartridges than I thought there was way back--when a single example tended to slant my impressions considerably, just as it does with a lot of hunters with relatively few examples.

Also never found a great difference in how the short-action aspect helped or hindered my hunting. Short versions of any bolt action save 3-4 ounces of weight, which can easily be offset by barrel contour or stock weight. Never had any problem "running" any long action fast, including a CZ 550 .416 Rigby. In fact, may have run it faster than any other in a hunting situation or two, due to adrenalin.

The other thing that happened since both the WSMs and SAUMs appeared is an improvement in bullets, in two ways. Even better monolithics appeared, including the TSX in its various versions, which tend to reduce the "advantages" of a little extra short-mag velocity, along with higher-BC bullets.

Do still have a Winchester .223 WSSM as well, but it required rebarreling before it would shoot accurately. It's a good cartridge, with a real velocity advantage over the .22-250 and .220 Swift, but would have been a lot better with a sharper shoulder and longer neck--and of course rifles with faster-twist barrels.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John excellent analysis - thanks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi hanco

I have never killed any game with factory loads. However, I have shot a lot of factory ammo helping people zero their rifles and even convinced a few of them to become handloaders. By the way, my public gun range was Outdoor Life's gun range as Jim Carmichael lives somewhere in Johnson City, TN my home town. I am acquainted with Jim only and can say hello when we cross paths over the years. Like Mule Deer, he has vast experience that I will never be able to have. Anyhow, I've never shot one critter with factory loads Except killing hogs at slaughter time on Thanksgiving Days with .22 longs from a old single shot bolt action Remington fifty years ago.

Glenn Campbell
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bob_B257

Short Fat Magnums may be like fat girls and mopeds. Lots of fun, but you wouldn’t want your friends to see you!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Wellll...What issues are you referring to . I've always had good luck with the .270 Win. I just come onto the 24hrcampfire once in awhile.

Last edited by roanmtn; 02/25/21.

Glenn Campbell
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi Mule Deer

Great comments from a bushel of vast experience. When it comes to recoil, I am a world class wuss! How do you spell this word? This is why I used the 9.3 x 62 for my once in a lifetime hunt in Africa. I can't afford any more. It does not kick as bad as the 275 H & H.I helped a friend zero his .275. It hurt so bad we both had to go pee before it was anywhere near zeroed. It had a metal buttplate and was brutal.

Glenn Campbell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 85 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.