Hop To
#15834426 02/25/21
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
There’s a new one in the house.
It’s a pretty interesting design, only made for 2+ years.
It’s very slim about like a 1911.
One interesting thing happened when I loaded up the magazines. Two would only hold 7 rounds and one would hold 8. Not seeing a difference between the mags I disassembled them and found that the mag spring can slip back and the last coil on the back side can catch on the bottom of the back leg of the follower. Reassembling the mags is a rather careful process, because the spring/follower will get fouled up more times than not.

Today looks like it should be a nice enough day to shoot it.

I wonder what would be required to shoot 45 Super in this?
Spring changes might be a little difficult as I’m sure there isn’t much for aftermarket on these unless there’s some parts interchangeable with the P-90 or P-97.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
BP-B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have one and I bought it new about 8 years ago. As you said it is slim and I also like it's size. I've always preferred the "Commander" sized pistols for the .45 ACP.

I've heard about that problem with the magazine's but I never experienced that issue myself. If I remember correctly you can use P90 magazines as a suitable sub and not have to worry about that problem.

Wolf Springs has factory spec springs for this pistol. At least they did as of a year ago when I ordered a couple of them.

I don't know about shooting the .45 Super in it. I've never tried it. Don't dry fire the pistol unless you have an empty magazine in the weapon because you can damage the firing pin. This is because of the poorly designed magazine disconnect safety. This was a big problem when this model was first introduced. I removed the magazine disconnect and now I can dry fire with or without the mag in the gun.

My P345 has been accurate and very reliable. My only real complaint is the slide mounted saftey. It does not click when using it. You just push it on and off and I've always been a little worried that it would get pushed on to safe when carrying it although this has never happened. I wish I would have bought the de cocker only model.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
45 Super in very small doses will be “okay” with factory springs, but it will accelerate wear if you do it a lot. If you do find a heavier spring, you’ll want something around 20lbs.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the replies.
It now has 50 rounds of Magtec 230 fmj and 24 rounds of Hornady 230XTP +P through it. What an ergonomic improvement over the rest of the P-Series. The grip shape is reminiscent of the SR and LC Series.
The shooting and mechanics are vintage P-Series.
I have to say I like it a lot so far. Slung up in a chest holster it’ll make a fine tractor gun.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you are going to shoot top end loads, I would suggest Wolff Gunsprings.

They make them for the P series Rugers. Here is a link.

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/P%20Series%20Pistols/cID1/mID52/dID220#268

The old P90, while not a beauty queen was really a very accurate , and quite reliable pistol. If I found one at a low price in a pawn shop or wherever, I would probably buy one just to shove in a pack, or stash away some place. They were quite under rated in my opinion. A friend of mine had one we compared it to our 1911s we were running in USPSA at the time, and it was every bit as accurate as some match grade guns.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
A buddy has a P-90, and it’s a reliable accurate pistol.
Thanks for the link to the gunsprings site Mackay.
Thinking more about it, I believe sticking to standard loads with the occasional +P will be sufficient.
I have 10mm in a 1911, and 41 &44 Mag revolvers for heavier loads.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A heavy 45 ACP such as a 255 SWC running at 900 FPS is nothing to sneeze at.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
That’s what I was thinking. KISS
No reason to go off in the weeds, the original 45 Colt equivalent is more than enough with the right bullet. I was thinking of using the Lyman 452424 as long as it feeds in the 345.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
419 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.