Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
They have the tooling. Why not just make less quantities or make them special order?

Leupold has done that in the past. A good example is their M8 3x20 fixed scope, which was discontinued in the 1980s.

However, there were quite a few hunters who preferred them for dangerous-game rifles, for two reasons: They were just about recoil-proof, and the tube was significantly longer than the tube of the M8 2.5x Compact, so the 3x could be easily mounted on long bolt-actions used on many rifles chambered for rounds like the .375 H&H, .416 Remington and .458 Lott.

Eventually Leupold decided to "reintroduce" the 3x20 when they started making the FX line, with click adjustments. But rather than make it a regular item, they offered it through the Custom Shop. I have two, one a gloss-finished prototype built just before the reintroduction, and one a matte-finished Custom Shop model. Both are excellent, tough scopes--much easier to adjust than the friction-turret M8 3x20, and with better multi-coated lenses.

But there are relatively few dangerous game hunters, and not all of them wanted fixed 3x scope. In fact, quite a few started using variables in the 3-9x range, or even larger. Eventually the market dried up (as it has been for all fixed scopes for a while now), and Leupold discontinued the Custom Shop 3x20 a couple years ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They have the tooling. Why not just make less quantities or make them special order?

Leupold has done that in the past. A good example is their M8 3x20 fixed scope, which was discontinued in the 1980s.

However, there were quite a few hunters who preferred them for dangerous-game rifles, for two reasons: They were just about recoil-proof, and the tube was significantly longer than the tube of the M8 2.5x Compact, so the 3x could be easily mounted on long bolt-actions used on many rifles chambered for rounds like the .375 H&H, .416 Remington and .458 Lott.

Eventually Leupold decided to "reintroduce" the 3x20 when they started making the FX line, with click adjustments. But rather than make it a regular item, they offered it through the Custom Shop. I have two, one a gloss-finished prototype built just before the reintroduction, and one a matte-finished Custom Shop model. Both are excellent, tough scopes--much easier to adjust than the friction-turret M8 3x20, and with better multi-coated lenses.

But there are relatively few dangerous game hunters, and not all of them wanted fixed 3x scope. In fact, quite a few started using variables in the 3-9x range, or even larger. Eventually the market dried up (as it has been for all fixed scopes for a while now), and Leupold discontinued the Custom Shop 3x20 a couple years ago.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of my scopes are fixed power Leupolds. I only buy variables when I can't find a fixed power in the range I want. And yes to the most part what I want is 4x and 6x.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Leupold's choice of the wide duplex killed my interest.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Does anybody know if an FXii 6x36 has enough space between the bells for a husqvarna 1640 action?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Did Leupold stop making the FXII 4X and the 6x36?

We have the Leupold FX-II 6x36mm Matte - Wide Duplex in stock and on sale for $299.99

How many of these do you have left?

How many are you looking for?

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by mathman

This. Once they stopped making the LRD on the 6x36, and both the 4x and 6x has this abortion of a reticle I was out. I had one scope so equipped and couldn't come to like it.

Last edited by pabucktail; 02/25/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

We have the Leupold FX-II 6x36mm Matte - Wide Duplex in stock and on sale for $299.99

I just realized about the wide duplex. I’m not the biggest fan of that
Do you have any discounts for 24HR

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 02/25/21.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I'm disappointed in Leupold's current offerings as well. The 2.5-8 and 1.75-6 are my favorite variables and it seems they are no longer available. I just recently scrapped the 3-9 off my main deer rifle and replaced it with a vintage M8 4x--some of you have probably read the thread I posted about that. I don't shoot that often--just to keep the predators away from my chickens and then during deer season and a trip or two to the range before hand to maybe work up a load and check zeros before hunting. So... by the time hunting season rolls around I'm pretty rusty. If something can go wrong with my equipment, it likely will. Fancy turrets, complicated reticles, batteries that need to be replaced, big variable ranges--all things that can lead me to screw up in the heat of the moment. I'm looking forward to the simplicity of that M8 next fall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why did you not like the wide duplex?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I can't figure out why production has stopped on these style scopes.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UnderMountain
I'm disappointed in Leupold's current offerings as well. The 2.5-8 and 1.75-6 are my favorite variables and it seems they are no longer available. I just recently scrapped the 3-9 off my main deer rifle and replaced it with a vintage M8 4x--some of you have probably read the thread I posted about that. I don't shoot that often--just to keep the predators away from my chickens and then during deer season and a trip or two to the range before hand to maybe work up a load and check zeros before hunting. So... by the time hunting season rolls around I'm pretty rusty. If something can go wrong with my equipment, it likely will. Fancy turrets, complicated reticles, batteries that need to be replaced, big variable ranges--all things that can lead me to screw up in the heat of the moment. I'm looking forward to the simplicity of that M8 next fall.

2.5-8 is part of the current line-up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by deflave

I can't figure out why production has stopped on these style scopes.

You got any place for us to field test one in Miami/Davey?

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I personally would rather hunt with a fixed power scope. I am definitely in the minority.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The 6x42 is much better imo

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Same here.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I personally would rather hunt with a fixed power scope. I am definitely in the minority.

Me too. I love my fixed-powers but I understand that companies must make what sells.
On that note, I would think they could make a minimal number every year.
If I lived in a different part of the country such as the west, I could see where a variable would fit the bill.
Where I live, a 150 to 200 yard shot is about as far as you’re likely to shoot so a fixed power works awfully well for me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like fixed powers too. The main reason I don’t have a pile of Leupold 4x scopes is because they were too short to easily mount on lots of rifles I had.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
build it right

put a tmr reticle in it

give it the same glass it's got already

make sure it's internals will at least hold zero

sell it for 350$

i'd yard off and replace every damn scope i have for it.

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
Well, since someone ask, the dumbass decisions I refer to are eliminating the B&C reticle in everything but the 4.5x14, only offering a WIDE duplex in the current fixed 6x scopes. I understand that for the first time buyer a variable has appeal, but I believe there is still a market for fixed power scopes, especially on the low end of the power range. There is a reason those old M8's are in such demand.

Last edited by easttex; 02/27/21.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.