Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15835250 02/25/21
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got a bout of it going on now. I've been eating a lot of peanuts recently. I'm thinking those legumes set it off. Hurts like a -itch. Damn hard to even walk to the bathroom.

Anyone else get it. I'm starting to eat some frozen cherries----they help soome.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had it a handful of times, typically it was here one day and gone the next with no lingering effects. Twice though, it hung around. Once for a week. Once for a month. None of the standard old wives tales of what to take for a cure ever worked for me on the longer lasting episodes.

For a while I took Alluporinol as a preventative, but stopped.

Was given some mexican Colchicine the last big time flair up I had. 2 pills initial dose, then a pill each hour. Don't get far from a bathroom. Was walking normally within hours. I'm not sure if the colchicine fixes the gout, or if it makes you so focused on not shi99ting your pants that you forget about the foot pain. Can buy a big box in Mexico for $5. Its like $5 a pill here. Its worth $50 a pill.

My eye doctor, of all people, gave me a common gout causers sheet with a list of about 100 foods. He said to think back the last 3 days of everything I'd ate before an attack and mark the food with a hashmark. Keep the same sheet and after enough episodes you'll key in on the cause for yourself, everybody is different. His was a cashew chicken from a particular chinese place, assumed it was high in MSG. Of course, since he suggested I keep that log, I haven't had any problems.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yep, been dealing with it for many years. As long as take allopurinol daily everything is fine--no flare ups. But if go a week or two without it it will bite in the ass.
Then I need to take colchicine till things clear up. Then back on the daily allopurinol.
See a doctor.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Yep, been dealing with it for many years. As long as take allopurinol daily everything is fine--no flare ups. But if go a week or two without it it will bite in the ass.
Then I need to take colchicine till things clear up. Then back on the daily allopurinol.
See a doctor.

Yeah, what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, I went to a rheumatologist, and he put me on allopurinal, and no more problems, It's been over a decade now, since I've had a gout flare-up.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just spitballing here

If youre having gout issues, you may have a kidney issue.

Peanuts are not really associated with gout, they are a low purine food.

But, back to your kidneys, if something else is causing the gout and usually it’s a function of your kidneys not handling the clearance of uric acid well, the structures and processes within the kidneys may not be handling phosphorous well either.

A ‘polite person’ serving size of peanuts is 28 peanuts, 28 peanuts contain about 90-100 mg of phoshphorus.

Not that phosphorus causes gout but I’m not weaving some yarn for you.

If youre sittin around eating 20-30 HANDFULS of peanuts while watching tv, only gawd know how much phosphorus your tanking up on. 2000-3000 mg of phos?

Normal folks, healthy people who dont have gout issues can do what they want. But you may want to go get a lab draw and have a uric acid, a phosphorus, calcium, vit D a renal panel to see what things are looking like.

Phosphorous and calcium can get wonky inside your heart if your kidneys are not processing phosphorous adequately. And having gout issues could mean you have some nephrotic processes internally manifesting with your kidneys that may dictate you getting a handle on some things a d start eating a little better, drinking more water, etc.

I know
i know

You probably me have me on ignore cause I fugg my sister, heat with propane, live in Tenn and said something mean to you 9 years ago.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Allopurinol just about blew my kidneys UP, I became allergic to it, have a kidney function test done at your next check-up. Gout SUCKS.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There is a drug, indomethacin....for bad cases, but it is like using a .458 Lott on blowflies. Don't borrow some from somebody that happens to have some, get it through your doctor. It works, but it really needs adult supervision.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Just spitballing here

But, back to your kidneys, if something else is causing the gout and usually it’s a function of your kidneys not handling the clearance of uric acid well, the structures and processes within the kidneys may not be handling phosphorous well either.

A ‘polite person’ serving size of peanuts is 28 peanuts, 28 peanuts contain about 90-100 mg of phoshphorus.

If youre sittin around eating 20-30 HANDFULS of peanuts while watching tv, only gawd know how much phosphorus your tanking up on. 2000-3000 mg of phos?

Normal folks, healthy people who dont have gout issues can do what they want. But you may want to go get a lab draw and have a uric acid, a phosphorus, calcium, vit D a renal panel to see what things are looking like.

Phosphorous and calcium can get wonky inside your heart if your kidneys are not processing phosphorous adequately. And having gout issues could mean you have some nephrotic processes internally manifesting with your kidneys that may dictate you getting a handle on some things a d start eating a little better, drinking more water, etc.

This is quite good.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just spitballing here

I know
i know

You probably me have me on ignore cause I fugg my sister, heat with propane, live in Tenn and said something mean to you 9 years ago.

Slumlord is a brilliant mofo...seriously. That is all.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Also...last time i had gout i ate 2 pieces of cherry pie and it went away. If that ain't the best medicine ever I dunno what is lol

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by MickeyD
See a doctor.

Yeah, what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, I went to a rheumatologist, and he put me on allopurinal, and no more problems, It's been over a decade now, since I've had a gout flare-up.

My doctor got me on allopurinol for gout, it's been over 10 years now. No problems since, I had it so bad once that I had to crawl around on my hands and knees it hurt so bad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have gout, and I’m on Allopurinol as well. I’ve been taking it for about 4 years now and have found shell fish and beer really set it off. The beer is twofold as it sets of migraines as well. It sucks as I like a good beer from time to time. On a lesser extent eating red meat two or more days can irritate it as well, but not like shell fish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to, then Doc removed the diuretic from my blood pressure meds and it stopped.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love gout, in the big toe, wrist, ankle, calf, all lovely spots ...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just spitballing here

I know
i know

I had my annual checkup in January-----kidney & liver test came back----good. Being 66 you would have thought I would have learned---"everything in moderation"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the wrist one hurts like the toe one ..the others make u walk like u got a monster diick ...only it hurts really bad...lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sorry to hear this CB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Got a bout of it going on now. I've been eating a lot of peanuts recently. I'm thinking those legumes set it off. Hurts like a -itch. Damn hard to even walk to the bathroom.

Anyone else get it. I'm starting to eat some frozen cherries----they help soome.

Yup.
Like a miracle.
I got a case where the crystals formed in the soft tissue of my hands and feet instead of the typical big toes and knees. Gone now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Also...last time i had gout i ate 2 pieces of cherry pie and it went away. If that ain't the best medicine ever I dunno what is lol

LOl! 😄

The Lord's medicine even tastes good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tart cherry juice, its probably in a quart bottle at your grocery store. drink at least a quart and more if you can stand it.
works overnight for me.

.... like tears in the rain
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 35, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.