Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Another thing to stay clear of is dark beer, some of us ( like me) just produce more uric acid. Mine got so bad they cut my toe open to clean up the mess, it sucks for sure.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Indomethacin is like ibuprofen on steroids. I used to rely on it but it damaged my kidneys. Now, prednisone is my gout drug.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My fat ass has been suffering off and on with gout since early January. It's Hell on earth. My two most favorite things to do is hunt and cook wild game. It's a shame such healthy meat gives me such grief. Chicken on the grill now😥

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Gout sucks. I get it some but for years they kept mis diagnosing my ankylosing spondylitis as gout. My lankle was swollen and extremely painful for 3 months one time so they drew some fluid out of it and sent it to the lab. It came back negative for gout crystals so they increased my allopurinol and kept treating me for gout. After about 10 agonizing years they figured out it was an autoimmune disease by doing ultrasounds of several joints and seeing bones spurs and damage different that gout.

Gout is painful but my spondylitis is even worse. I'm on crutches this week from a flare. My whole left foot and ankle is red and looks like someone inflated it with air. It's very painful. The Dr is switching me from Humira to Remicade Infusions.

As far as gout goes the best thing I did to limit my gout was to get off of BP meds that had diuretics in it and start drinking lots of water. Limited pop and juice just lots of pure water or with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

I rarely get gout anymore but the autoimmune flares still kick my butt.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't screw around with home remedies. They don't work all that well.

Go to your doctor and get a ten day course of Prednisone to get it under control, quit eating any game meat and drinking beer, cut out trout, salmon, canned fish of any kind, peanuts, beans.

Go on Allopurinol, and eat little or no meats, especially processed meats for a while. In about four to six months you'll be able to eat anything I listed IN Moderation. The gout has probably caused some measure of permanent joint damage in your toe, so don't get in any hurry to go back on a high meat protein diet. Work back into it and watch for any signs it's coming back. Drink a lot of water. NO BEER!

My wife just picked up my script refill for 300mg Allopurinol a couple hours ago.

I sure am sorry you got hit, Bob. You're great people.

L2S

Last edited by luv2safari; 02/25/21.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bkraft
Allopurinol just about blew my kidneys UP, I became allergic to it, have a kidney function test done at your next check-up. Gout SUCKS.

Yep, allopurinol can be hard on the kidneys. Talk to your doctor about the risk issues, as you should about all meds, and discuss the potential need to get kidney function tests.
I get mine checked every year and so far, after 20+ years of being on it, no issues.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had a modest kidney stone once. Woke up nauseous at 3:30 am and in some discomfort. They blasted it and a few hours later I passed some gravel.

It was childs play compared to a serious gout attack.
If youve never had a good one, you probably dont appreciate what I'm saying.

I control it with my diet and allopurinol. I do cheat a little (I had a hamburgwr just this week actually) but if I give myself a little rope I will regret it!

Beef, shellfish and asparagus are my big three triggers. Red wine and beer to a lesser degree. Plenty of other smaller problem foods but how many can you avoid....

Learn what gets you and stay the hell away from it.
The pain is bad, sure, but so is the long term damage.

I have had decent luck with cherry extract pills, but I've never had any sort of cherry food work as a treatment. And I love cherries.

Good luck!

Last edited by kragman1; 02/25/21.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Add oatmeal and high fructose corn syrup to the trigger list, and beans.

Like others have said, different strokes for different folks. See a doc!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to get a couple of gout bouts a year, and haven't had any probably in three years, now with no meds. Here's what worked for me:

When I got the gout, my podiatrist prescribed Naprelan for the pain and swelling. Worked pretty darn good - pain and swelling were much better within 12 hours of taking the first dose.

Allopurinol worked great for me once I decided to go on it. Noticed no side effects, and did not get gout while I was taking it.

Minimize deer meat, shrimp, and beer. I like all 3, and with a freezer full of deer most years, we ate a lot of delicious deer chili and specialty deer burger.

I've been retired for almost 5 years, and about 3 years ago, I got serious, got a little more consistent with my cardio workout, and dropped about 15 pounds and have for the most part kept it off. I still drink craft beer and German beer on occasion, but I eat a lot more varied meat diet these days and haven't been on Allopurinol in over 2 years. I may need to some day, but as long as I stay about at my current weight, I don't think I'll ever have to. Hope this helps. Good luck getting it under control. It is bad when it's bad.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Is that why my big toe feels like someone is driving a nail in the end of it in to the bone??

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Best stuff I've found for treating mine when it flares up. Did the tart cherry and vinegar route for years, till I had a bout those wouldn't help. Now, if I have even a twinge of discomfort, I use this for a day and all is good.

https://www.rejuvica.com/collection...i6PmG7wIVEdbACh3uIgtcEAAYAiAAEgKaa_D_BwE

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Got a bout of it going on now. I've been eating a lot of peanuts recently. I'm thinking those legumes set it off. Hurts like a -itch. Damn hard to even walk to the bathroom.

Anyone else get it. I'm starting to eat some frozen cherries----they help soome.

I have never had it, but all those I have seen with it have to a man been heavy drinkers.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Got a bout of it going on now. I've been eating a lot of peanuts recently. I'm thinking those legumes set it off. Hurts like a -itch. Damn hard to even walk to the bathroom.

Anyone else get it. I'm starting to eat some frozen cherries----they help soome.

I have never had it, but all those I have seen with it have to a man been heavy drinkers.

Not discounting your observation, but I have never had a drink of alcohol in my life. My major gout attacks was when I was in my mid-30's, and otherwise in pretty good shape health wise.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Hubert
Is that why my big toe feels like someone is driving a nail in the end of it in to the bone??

Yes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Papag
Indomethacin is like ibuprofen on steroids. I used to rely on it but it damaged my kidneys. Now, prednisone is my gout drug.

Prednisone worked miracles for me.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

When I get a bout of it, I try to drink as much water as I can (within reason) and it seems to hurry things along. They always say Cherry Juice, but I don't know where to get real cherry juice, most of the stuff on the shelves is fake cherry with flavorings in it. I feel your pain as Bubba Clinton used to say.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by reivertom

When I get a bout of it, I try to drink as much water as I can (within reason) and it seems to hurry things along. They always say Cherry Juice, but I don't know where to get real cherry juice, most of the stuff on the shelves is fake cherry with flavorings in it. I feel your pain as Bubba Clinton used to say.

If youre gonna go the Ma’Kettle route, you need “Tart cherry”.

If you don’t want get a bottle of hi brix concentrated juice online to keep on hand, you may try one of the larger grocery stores.

I don’t know what the hell is in your area, menards, or whatever. If there is a Publix, or a Kroger you might have success on the organic, homeopathic, or ethnic aisle of the store. Knudson’s is common name.

it tastes foucking horrible, make sure there is a grandma nearby to slap when you take a sip.

Can put some sugar in it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ripped sesamoid tendon.
Thats pretty far from the old pump station.
Iced it.
Bored, drank 4 beers of 12.5%

The cool and booze, plus being mediterranean....woke up middle of night w gout.

Aint had it since.

Dont booze w foot in ice.
Just sayin.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/28/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
but but but but, I still want my poork chaps and milwakee’s beast....gimme de allopurinol

Ahh the leg is rotten anyways, the dibeetus is gonna take it next year prolly......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hope I never get it. I like meat and vegetables and beer and wine.

Sounds like I'm a prime candidate.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.