Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No box for me either. Funerals are such a waste of money that I want my family to be able to keep.

I just lost my dad this past Sept and its been rough as he was not only my dad but also my best friend. He was also cremated and always wanted to live in Montana but that never happened. I am heading out there on a muley hunt in November and dads ashes will be coming with me and spread so he will forever be there.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OGB
Been thinking on this a lot lately. Who will remember me in 100 years? Then why the tomb stone? I'm with Toot. Harvest whatever is useful, cremate the rest.

What I am currently thinking about is mandating a variety of locations around America for my ashes to be spread. I'd provide funds for my kids and force them to see and experience out great land. Things like, scatter some ash on Ellis Island then have a steak dinner at the Oak room.

Thoughts?

Want mine poured over a Trophy Rock, sombitchin deer can eat me

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hookeye
My dad still isnt in a box.
Thought he should be. Hospice. Saying it could take days, or a week.
Family is wearing out....not good.

Being in the box aint a bad thing.

Its really really horrible, getting them there.

My wife’s dad died Monday morning. He had fought cancer for a year and last week finally decided enough was enough. He just wanted to be done with the fight. Literally the day he decided no more treatment he had a stroke. My wife spent 6 days changing diapers and giving him massive amounts of drugs to manage his pain. All the while slowly watching him wither away.

She’s the strongest person I know and this has absolutely crushed her.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Armednfree,

I prayed for your brother, you and your family.
My sincere concern. I hope he recovers from his challenge and soon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To pick a nit, not to be snooty, but just wanting to help clarify, it is 'lying" in a box.

My wife fell heir to some old 8mm movies that her grandfather had shot. One reel contains nothing but many bit of footage of two kinds of events: planes taking off and landing, and the casket lids being closed for the final time on bodies.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Mossy
Originally Posted by hookeye
My dad still isnt in a box.
Thought he should be. Hospice. Saying it could take days, or a week.
Family is wearing out....not good.

Being in the box aint a bad thing.

Its really really horrible, getting them there.

My wife’s dad died Monday morning. He had fought cancer for a year and last week finally decided enough was enough. He just wanted to be done with the fight. Literally the day he decided no more treatment he had a stroke. My wife spent 6 days changing diapers and giving him massive amounts of drugs to manage his pain. All the while slowly watching him wither away.

She’s the strongest person I know and this has absolutely crushed her.

I feel for her and you. Its all turning into a blur now and wirh questions comes all sorts of feelings.

It is crushing like you say.

Gotta just let it all go. Cant change it now and guilt real or imagined is just gonna punish the living and the dead person would not have wanted that.

Sounds good.

Doesnt work that easy though.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/25/21.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
https://youtu.be/h2caT4q4Nbs

Better way if any of us can still walk

If it didn't link. Johnny Walker dear brother

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please don't display my dead body.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't even want my body displayed now.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im a burn and urn type. Dump.my ashes at my fave dove field at the F&W area.

Or not.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im sick of funerals, hospitals and legal.
Fugg all of it

Got another family member in hospice so doing this chit again in a couple more weeks.

And my ol ladys mom aint doing well too ( and that will be a chitshow )

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by OGB
Been thinking on this a lot lately. Who will remember me in 100 years? Then why the tomb stone? I'm with Toot. Harvest whatever is useful, cremate the rest.

What I am currently thinking about is mandating a variety of locations around America for my ashes to be spread. I'd provide funds for my kids and force them to see and experience out great land. Things like, scatter some ash on Ellis Island then have a steak dinner at the Oak room.

Thoughts?

Want mine poured over a Trophy Rock, sombitchin deer can eat me

My dads bud i shot bows and fished with, died on his place near a F&W hunting area he loved

Guess he was mowing and had a stroke. Critters had him for a few days before he was checked on.

Circle of life stuff

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Gotta iron that stuff out. There's a very old family plot that lay in ruins for almost a century before some distant relatives went in and refurbished it. It's in a grove of trees in the middle of a large cornfield. The people who have farmed the land over the years didn't cultivate it because of the cemetery, of course. So it's grown up with trees. It has 5 generations of my family,...including those who immigrated here from England. I'm not positive, but I think I'm eligible for a free plot there because I'm a direct descendant. I need to check into that.

I used to run around down there when I was a kid, but only had a kid's understanding of my ancestral connection to the land it's located on.

It's very remote,....very quiet,..very private.

I think it would be a good place for my headstone.

,....just another in the linage that settled there.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Thomas Wolfe was wrong.

You can go home again.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Motown
No box for me either. Funerals are such a waste of money that I want my family to be able to keep.

I just lost my dad this past Sept and its been rough as he was not only my dad but also my best friend. He was also cremated and always wanted to live in Montana but that never happened. I am heading out there on a muley hunt in November and dads ashes will be coming with me and spread so he will forever be there.

Very nice. Sounds like a great trip already.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I come to skip the viewing of the body in a box. Rather remember them as they were alive.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No box for me. I've buried enough folks and even paid for one that won't even my family.
Told my current wife she could stop on the way home and throw the urn in a dumpster if she wanted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree
When I think of my mom the first picture in my head is her laying in a box.
When I think of my best friend the first picture is him laying in a box.
Now my brother is dying and the thought is I will travel across three states to see him in a box. Bullchit, who the [bleep] has the right to put that picture in my head? I want to remember my brother the way I want to remember him, and that ain't seeing him in a box.
No funeral for me, nor my wife, direct cremation,. Have a memorial several months down the line so no one feels compelled to come. No laying under some damned rock getting chit on by birds.

[bleep] funerals
I hear ya man, I watched my sister for 2 weeks lay in a bed in hospice, as she laid there and withered away, unable to muster even a sound and she laid there for almost 5 months before she finally passed. All my memories of her are when we were growing up as you kids, those are the memories that I will always cherish with her. When it's my time, my wife will have me cremated and she can do with my ashes whatever she wishes. Condolences to you and your family.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm here to tell ya', it's the last thing I intend to do! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My mom died in May in a nursing home. With all the covid crap just did cremation and had a private family only internment in August. Easy peasy. No visitation. Had a twin brother that committed suicide. Took his then about 5 yo daughter up to the open casket to say goodbye to dad one last time. She reached in the casket and grabbed him by the hand. Bout had a heart attack.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
386 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.