Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
You guys are lying to yourselves if you think an M700 is cutting edge. There is nothing innovative about their bolts or actions. So many better options these days. ...

Okay. Mr. Expert.............tell us why the Remington Model 700 is still the number one choice for custom built rifles.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You guys are lying to yourselves if you think an M700 is cutting edge. There is nothing innovative about their bolts or actions. So many better options these days. ...

^^^^^^

Dead on, Rem 700s bolts cost him trophy bucks and bulls! Not to mention all the hang fires on yotes in zero temps. πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž

Tell em Dogcatcher! Rem 700s are junk!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

How innovative do they need to be? Groups can only get so small and pressures can only go so high.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a big fan of 700's!
When I see a nice BDL, I think that is one classy and it's going to be an accurate rifle to boot. But then I have plenty of wood stocked ADL's too. The 700's I did not care for was the early synthetic stocked ones. Those stocks didn't even make good firewood.
I see in the classifieds that some people think a 700 can be made into a BDL by adding a floorplate to a newer synthetic stock model.
To me the best 700's were made before 1990 to the most part - exceptions to this however.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Bugger
I am a big fan of 700's!
When I see a nice BDL, I think that is one classy and it's going to be an accurate rifle to boot. But then I have plenty of wood stocked ADL's too. The 700's I did not care for was the early synthetic stocked ones. Those stocks didn't even make good firewood.
I see in the classifieds that some people think a 700 can be made into a BDL by adding a floorplate to a newer synthetic stock model.
To me the best 700's were made before 1990 to the most part - exceptions to this however.

The 700 BDL Varmint Special, 700 Classic, and Mountain Rifle (wood/blue/floorplate), and 700 KS are my favorites.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Could you list the better options and what makes them better?

I have come to think of the Remington 700 as being to amateur gun builders what the small block Chevy engines are to amateur car builders in that both are common, there is a wide variety of after-market parts to satisfy a broad spectrum of interests and objectives, and a lot of public knowledge about what works and how to do it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it is... I guess some guys just need something to hate on....

I've owned remingtons for over 50 years now and had very little problem with them. Certainly no more problems than I have had with Winchesters that I have owned.... and they have always been at least as accurate and reliable as any other rifle I have owned or hunted with for all that time.

I sent a Remington Factory "R" action to Shaen to build my last rifle- a 26 Nosler. I had him check it out closely before barreling and chambering to be sure it was straight and true before committing. He told me it was so close it needed almost nothing to barrel it as the action was straight, true, and so close to spec it didn't need any machining before barrel install. Like all my other Remingtons, it shot great when I got it back just like I expected it to...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Haters always gonna hate !!!!!

I just can't see hating any brand, simply preferring one more than others.

Remington was doing fine with their own products, and then companies like Cerberus Holding bought them, adding others to them that Remington didn't need to stay profitable and ultimately drained and bankrupted them.

Remington will be back, I'm sure and will be profitable again if they stay on track and produce the guns that made them profitable in the past. Let's face it, if the haters want to believe it or not, if Remington didn't produce reliable and accurate rifles and shotguns, and not just limited to the 700, then why are Remingtons bringing the inflated prices they are bringing today and buyers glad to get their hands on them?

They are the only company that produces a pump rifle in the higher intensity calibers, the 7600, better known as the Amish machine gun in these parts and despite what the haters say the 740, 742, and 7400 Jamomatics function just fine if you keep the gun and chamber clean, I have never had a problem with mine.

If they get back in business and simply produce the products that made them profitable in the past, I would bet they wouldn't be able to meet the demand in the first year, inflated prices and demand on their existing older products convince me of that.

Just produce the venerable 700, Model 7, 7600, 7400, the 870, 1100, 1187 and a variety of 22 rimfires in various actions and they'll do just fine.

The skilled craftsmen are in the Ilion area, waiting to go back to work, many 3rd and 4th generation.
When the quality of the product went down hill, it was due to cost cutting on the part of the holding companies. Hopefully the new owners will understand that and do it the right way this time.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
To think I am going to take a M700 338-06 rebore done in '93 to BC this fall for 16 days to chase goat, moose and elk...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
To think I am going to take a M700 338-06 rebore done in '93 to BC this fall for 16 days to chase goat, moose and elk...

Now that sounds like a great trip!

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
We just have to try to live with and get by with our junk the best we can guys...

Maybe some day I can get one of those much better options.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"despite what the haters say the 740, 742, and 7400 Jamomatics function just fine if you keep the gun and chamber clean, I have never had a problem with mine"

If you keep them clean they work fine until the guide rails get damaged and the guide rails almost always seem to get damaged. Ahlman's used to rebuild 740/742 series rifles with damaged guide rails as pump actions.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I feel really bad that I bought this one...a 700 C-grade in .25-06. One of the last 700s to leave the custom shop before they closed. Sorry, but I like it.
And it's a superb shooter
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by RGK; 02/25/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rambler214
We just have to try to live with and get by with our junk the best we can guys...

C Grade?

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Motown

C Grade?

Looks like it...probably a 70's-era rifle. Nice stick of wood.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 02/25/21.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM

Oh man, that is NEVER going to work. wink

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by RGK

C Grade?

Bob

Yep. 1969 C grade.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RGK
I feel really bad that I bought this one...a 700 C-grade in .25-06. One of the last 700s to leave the custom shop before they closed. Sorry, but I like it.
And it's a superb shooter
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Seems odd that the custom shop would put the bolt on the wrong side.... wink

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
No better firearm designs have made than the venerable Remington model 700 and the model 870.....Millions have been sold and the market is still there. They will be back πŸ‘πŸ‘......Hb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RGK

C Grade?

Bob

Yep. 1969 C grade.

She’s pertty! RGK you were damn close on that 70’s era! Lol

Last edited by Motown; 02/25/21.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 22kHornet, 224th, 52 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,542
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.