Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have a simple mind. I'm not especially good at figuring things out so I just tend not to believe what I'm told.

Have you been told that inflation is coming? Let's count they ways how:

The stock market was at record highs, fueled by massive earnings spurred by Federal spending
Then, the Fed dropped rates even lower, and there were rumors of negative rates
Quantitative Easing to Infinity
Reserve rate to zero (banks can create infinite amount of currency through lending)
Nobody buying Treasuries, so the Fed buys them all, monetizing debt
Bi-partisan Fiscal Stimulus to the Moon
The Government sends you a check
The Fed says it will not hold to its traditional inflation target, seeks more
The Democrats win control of the White House and Congress
Zero rates forever
The Government sends you another check
They say it wasn't big enough
Nearly half the US dollars in existence were created within the last 12 months

The messaging couldn't be louder and more clear if it was on a bull horn in front of your house on Sunday morning.

"Everyone" is getting the message. At least all the cool people are.

Personal Consumption Expenditures (Consumer Spending) pauses early during last year's shutdown, then rockets: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PCE
Almost everything is on fire: houses, gold, silver, the NASDAQ, cryptocurrencies, food, building supplies, semiconductors, guns, ammo...
Stonks
Bitcoin explodes
Retail investors want equity securities with 1000:1 P/E ratios rather than cash
Mortgage lending soars
Your wife's cousin's grandma bought Tesla stock for her grand-daughter.

In short: Everyone is shorting the dollar, mostly because they were told to do so.

The US Government desperately needs inflation. Without it, the cost of servicing it's debt will be too high in real terms. Therefore it has both signaled and convinced the world that it will "print" dollars into oblivion to make it happen. What if it doesn't happen? What I mean is, what if it doesn't happen soon enough? What if there is a "short squeeze" on the US dollar and while everyone is waiting for the effect of zillions in Fed liquidity, there is the mother of all margin calls?

There are numerous scenarios where this is possible, but like I wrote, I am simple minded. I don't know to predict what sequence of factors could cause it, but I do know that inflation of:
the currency supply
the stock market
housing prices
bitcoin
gas prices
food prices

will not provide debt relief sufficient to turn bad debts good. The minds at the Fed and Treasury appear to believe that debt deflation is the boogey-man, and not inflation. Their strategy is to reflate and use fiscal stimulus while providing debt relief through inflation. Their track record of creating debt-relieving inflation is poor. If they can't make inflation happen and happen in a way that debt relief happens for other nations, for businesses, and for consumers, the write-off's could destroy currency as fast as they can create it. They've got everyone convinced that they can run the presses to infinity and beyond. The whole market is worried that they'll run them too far, but they don't seem to be concerned that inflation won't even work the way it's hoped. The more the indicators point to deflation, the more radical and extremist the Fed and Treasury get. The expectation of inflation is implicit faith in the Fed to create it.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 02/25/21.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It will happen, and the Fed will be late reacting to it.

10 years over 1.6, highest rates in a year, at it got there fast.

Our markets started getting hammered two days ago, and Asian markets are down up to 3% tonight.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
That's what they said after '08. How are spiking yields or markets getting hammered a sign of inflation? Sounds like a greater demand for dollars vs. bonds or equity.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 02/25/21.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
$75k pickup trucks. $8 fast food combo meals. $3 loaf of bread. $4 bag of chips. What inflation??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fburgtx
$75k pickup trucks. $8 fast food combo meals. $3 loaf of bread. $4 bag of chips. What inflation??

$125 bricks of 22LR, $300/1000 primers.

LOL
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by fburgtx

$125 bricks of 22LR, $300/1000 primers.

Yep and people are wondering when Inflation is going to Kick In.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I am all for a thriving economy. Bring it on.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
$15 minimum wage will more than double everything, Except employmnt, those jobs will go away by at least 25%, probably closer to 40%. Jobs (minimum wage/entry level) replaced by automation.

Last edited by Hancock27; 02/26/21.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Real inflation is 5-7 %. The fed has been hinging it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Related question, I think. My checking account has slowly increased to a point that I am uncomfortable with. What to do with some of it, safely, is the question. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
MMT is the government can print and use unlimited funds for social programs, etc. To fight inflation (remove money from circulation) the government will raise taxes.

That is the attempt right now. The printing and laundering- err, I mean spending is easy. The tax part is the problem.

The dude that called the housing bubble is also calling MMT the downfall of our system. No one will listen this time either.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can only get 5 gallons out of a 5 gallon bucket.
Print twice as much currency and it buys half as much food.
Stock naturally go op, but does it track with the real value of the dollar, and the answer is no.
This is a shell game of rape and pillage.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bought a pistol lately??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Inflation? Massive!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Step back and look at the 10 year treasury yield chart for the last five years we still are at historical lows

If God can get by on 10%, why does the government need 90%
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
I have a simple mind. I'm not especially good at figuring things out so I just tend not to believe what I'm told.

Have you been told that inflation is coming? Let's count they ways how:

The stock market was at record highs, fueled by massive earnings spurred by Federal spending
Then, the Fed dropped rates even lower, and there were rumors of negative rates
Quantitative Easing to Infinity
Reserve rate to zero (banks can create infinite amount of currency through lending)
Nobody buying Treasuries, so the Fed buys them all, monetizing debt
Bi-partisan Fiscal Stimulus to the Moon
The Government sends you a check
The Fed says it will not hold to its traditional inflation target, seeks more
The Democrats win control of the White House and Congress
Zero rates forever
The Government sends you another check
They say it wasn't big enough
Nearly half the US dollars in existence were created within the last 12 months

The messaging couldn't be louder and more clear if it was on a bull horn in front of your house on Sunday morning.

"Everyone" is getting the message. At least all the cool people are.

Personal Consumption Expenditures (Consumer Spending) pauses early during last year's shutdown, then rockets: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PCE
Almost everything is on fire: houses, gold, silver, the NASDAQ, cryptocurrencies, food, building supplies, semiconductors, guns, ammo...
Stonks
Bitcoin explodes
Retail investors want equity securities with 1000:1 P/E ratios rather than cash
Mortgage lending soars
Your wife's cousin's grandma bought Tesla stock for her grand-daughter.

In short: Everyone is shorting the dollar, mostly because they were told to do so.

The US Government desperately needs inflation. Without it, the cost of servicing it's debt will be too high in real terms. Therefore it has both signaled and convinced the world that it will "print" dollars into oblivion to make it happen. What if it doesn't happen? What I mean is, what if it doesn't happen soon enough? What if there is a "short squeeze" on the US dollar and while everyone is waiting for the effect of zillions in Fed liquidity, there is the mother of all margin calls?

There are numerous scenarios where this is possible, but like I wrote, I am simple minded. I don't know to predict what sequence of factors could cause it, but I do know that inflation of:
the currency supply
the stock market
housing prices
bitcoin
gas prices
food prices

will not provide debt relief sufficient to turn bad debts good. The minds at the Fed and Treasury appear to believe that debt deflation is the boogey-man, and not inflation. Their strategy is to reflate and use fiscal stimulus while providing debt relief through inflation. Their track record of creating debt-relieving inflation is poor. If they can't make inflation happen and happen in a way that debt relief happens for other nations, for businesses, and for consumers, the write-off's could destroy currency as fast as they can create it. They've got everyone convinced that they can run the presses to infinity and beyond. The whole market is worried that they'll run them too far, but they don't seem to be concerned that inflation won't even work the way it's hoped. The more the indicators point to deflation, the more radical and extremist the Fed and Treasury get. The expectation of inflation is implicit faith in the Fed to create it.

Volatility.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
One thing holding the government's body, and soul together is, the greenback dollar is still the best of a bad lot.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Inflation is already here and has been here - it just doesn’t make the news.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Real inflation is 5-7 %. The fed has been hinging it.

The Fed wouldn't do something underhanded like removing food and fuel prices from their index......would they? whistle

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by milespatton
Related question, I think. My checking account has slowly increased to a point that I am uncomfortable with. What to do with some of it, safely, is the question. miles

Find hard commodities that you will need in a year or five and buy them now.

Inflation is already here.

I priced some 2x10s yesterday... almost double.

OSB is triple over the past year.

Steel is up like crazy.

Copper is double (per a friend)... have not checked.

Houses are scarce and high priced.

Small business and farms are under assault and many are folding. Large businesses (DOW JONES et al) are picking up huge bargains as the middle implodes... that is why the market is still hanging on.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1337Fungi, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.