Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Any of you guys experienced with “saddle hunting”? I normally hunt from a climbing stand but these new saddle systems look intriguing. How do you guys like the saddles for rifle hunting. Pro’s-con’s?

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use a “Brazo’s Double Rig” myself.
Better for roping.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A (saddled)horse was 'standing' about 10' away from me when I dispatched the biggest whitetail buck to date.

Public land, no corn in 40 miles.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/25/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Had to give it up when I got married..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Had to give it up when I got married..... smile

LOL

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Any of you guys experienced with “saddle hunting”? I normally hunt from a climbing stand but these new saddle systems look intriguing. How do you guys like the saddles for rifle hunting. Pro’s-con’s?

https://freaknhunting.com/saddle-vs-treestand-which-method-is-best/

Sounds like the latest craze.

Innovate or die!

and it helps to have trees where one hunts if he plans to use either a saddle or tree stand.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I gave it a try this year. I like it. I used the following:

Hawk Helium Saddle - only use the seat/saddle and the tether/attachment rope
Lone Wolf hand climber seat as the platform....I already had it.
Aider: https://www.rockandsnow.com/21330/Yates-6-Step-Big-Wall-Ladder/
Knee pads
A little paracord attached to platform and saddle to pull platform up

Of course a basic pullup rope for pack/gun and rope hanger for the pack....same as you'd use for a climber.

Climbing consisted of: attach the aider to the platform, climb the aider to the platform, raise rope and sit to the side in the saddle, raise the platform (pull up with paracord), and go through it again until you get as high as you want.

It's very comfortable and you can shoot from about any angle but it takes a while to learn how to position yourself and get steady. There's a learning curve to it....I'd say I'm still fine tuning it but I doubt I'll ever use a climber again.

I used the saddle instead of a harness in some places where I had permanent lockon stands. It gave me the ability to sit on the tree stand seat for a while and then turn and sit in the saddle looking the opposite direction (or sides) while using the stand as a platform.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
LOL!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
^^^ Not making fun of it, just thought it was funny! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
LOL!

Like I said, it takes a while to learn how to get steady.....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
A (saddled)horse was 'standing' about 10' away from me when I dispatched the biggest whitetail buck to date.

Public land, no corn in 40 miles.

Sam;
Top of the morning to you my cyber friend, I hope spring's going the way you need it to for calving and all else is more than less fine with you all.

The feeder cart you had in the one video is made in Red Deer, AB by the way, the locals sometimes call it Dead Rear when they're unhappy with their locale... wink

At risk of once again driving the thread into the rhubarb, I'll say that the only whitetail buck I had a chance at when aboard Carly the Appy was subsequently saved by her when she walked in front of me as I was trying to get into shooting position. laugh

There was a lesson learned in phases and stages - do not just kneel on the lead rope - tie it to a substantial tree. This I know because she ripped out an entire Antelope Brush I'd tied her to when sneaking up on what would have been my best 4 point mulie ever and then she ripped a dead branch off of a Ponderosa Pine another time when I was hoping to invite an up to that point oblivious 2 point to come home with us.

The crack of the branch breaking surely did wake the youngster up right smartly Sam! blush

Anyways, in the spirit of the old time 'Fire which was "pics or it didn't happen".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We'll go back to the regular programming now Sam and again I'll need to apologize for taking the thread off course a wee bit.

Our current whitetail population is such that in a 3 month season we saw less whitetails of all genders than moose Sam, so the thought of sitting in a tree waiting for one to come by is about as foreign a concept to our hunting up here as teleporting, but that's what makes the 'Fire interesting to me still. That is to say seeing how different hunters in different areas pursue the game.

All the best to you all Sam, I hope you can get enough sleep in calving season and trust you'll all stay well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I gave it a try this year. I like it. I used the following:

Hawk Helium Saddle - only use the seat/saddle and the tether/attachment rope
Lone Wolf hand climber seat as the platform....I already had it.
Aider: https://www.rockandsnow.com/21330/Yates-6-Step-Big-Wall-Ladder/
Knee pads
A little paracord attached to platform and saddle to pull platform up

Of course a basic pullup rope for pack/gun and rope hanger for the pack....same as you'd use for a climber.

Climbing consisted of: attach the aider to the platform, climb the aider to the platform, raise rope and sit to the side in the saddle, raise the platform (pull up with paracord), and go through it again until you get as high as you want.

It's very comfortable and you can shoot from about any angle but it takes a while to learn how to position yourself and get steady. There's a learning curve to it....I'd say I'm still fine tuning it but I doubt I'll ever use a climber again.

I used the saddle instead of a harness in some places where I had permanent lockon stands. It gave me the ability to sit on the tree stand seat for a while and then turn and sit in the saddle looking the opposite direction (or sides) while using the stand as a platform.

Creative use of your gear for sure. When you sat to the side in your saddle to raise the platform, I assume you just braced your feet/legs against the tree? Knee pads come in to play here as well?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Used a Anderson tree sling and climbing spurs for years. To old for all the that nonsense anymore.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by xarcher

Creative use of your gear for sure. When you sat to the side in your saddle to raise the platform, I assume you just braced your feet/legs against the tree? Knee pads come in to play here as well?

Yes sir. You can sit completely in the saddle and then your body is against the tree if you wish but I used knee contact, pull the stand up past feet, feet contact, pull it past knees, then just raise it up as high as I can reach...pull down on it to snug it against tree, climb aider onto stand and stand up, raise rope, sit to side and start all over again.

Once you learn how to relax while doing it there's very little strength/effort required.

The knee pads are a requirement, even if you use sticks or whatever for the climbing. Your knees will be in contact with the tree much of the time while you're hunting.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
LOL!

Like I said, it takes a while to learn how to get steady.....

laugh

--------------------------------------------

I think I'd much prefer to sit down rather than hang on the side of a tree , I have sat for hours in my Summit bullet backpacker .

Last edited by ol_mike; 02/26/21.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

298 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 338rcm, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 28 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.