Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’m hunting for my first street legal bike and I’m mainly looking at bikes like the Suzuki Vstrom, Triumph Tiger, Yamaha Tenere, Aprilia Dorsoduro, Kawasaki KLR/KLX, Ducati Hypermotard, Multistrada and Scrambler.... as you can see there is a crossover/dual sport theme here...

I expect to be nearly all road riding but would enjoy the ability to rip around if I want to on some roads and trails. Not technical single tracks, just dirt roads and trails. There will be some highway use so it can’t be a slow bike but I don’t need a rocket.

Let’s hear some feedback on these bikes. What are some regrets you had after your first purchase that you wish you considered before buying that first bike? What are repair costs like on them? Overall durability? General advice is appreciated too

Edit: I also looked at supermotos but I’d imagine you cant ride for any real length of time on those. I’m sure it’s a blast for hour or so rips, more than that and I think my ass would hurt

EDIT2: I should note that I’m 5 foot 11 and 220 pounds.

Last edited by scottprice; 02/26/21.
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
i run a ktm 390 adventure, because it is light weight at 330 pounds or so. runs highway speeds at 6k rpms with plenty of roll-on left. with traction control turned off, it runs our sandy clay back roads down here like a top. i'm too old at almost 70 for anything heavier. 66 mpg, by the way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking back on all dozen or so motorcycles that I've had, I would tell you to not go overly large. For one thing PA. isn't great year around for bike riding and get a big one out on the highway even at 70 degrees and you'll learn all about windchill. A single cylinder will be better on the trail, but will vibrate more than a twin. At one time I thought that a Triumph 650 TR6C with a high pipe made it into a dirt bike. Not so. Way too heavy and powerful for any kind of trail. Then I thought I'd like road riding and got a Harley. Nope, deer jumping out in front of me, people not seeing me and pulling out in front of me, couldn't carry anything, sand blasted when a car or truck kicked up sand, bugs, cold, rain. In town and around the suburbs with a little twin like my first Honda CB160 was the most enjoyable. Right now it is a Honda CT110 that I keep at the cottage for trails and limited street use. Perfect.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A guy I know a bit bought a Kawasaki Versys 600 and loved it, but upgraded a year later to a 1,000 tonget more oomph for luggage or a passenger.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
First bike ? I'd look at 250 Yamaha Dual Sport .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
First bike ? I'd look at 250 Yamaha Dual Sport .

yep

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Best advice I ever heard was learn to ride in the dirt.
It will make you a better rider when you get on the road.

Understanding how and when the bike will break free and hook up is an under-appreciated facet of riding.
But it will likely save your life.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Riding advice ;

1] if you get out of control - pull the clutch in immediately .

2] LOOK where you want to go - not where you don't want to go .

3] learn to stop fast and to avoid things you don't want to run into - before you ''see how fast it will go'' .

PS , never loan your bike to a dumbass .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I should note that I’ve been riding dirt bikes for most of my life. I should have said this will be my first street legal bike

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I have a Yamaha TW200 which is a great compromise trail & street mule but it tops out about 60 mph so freeways are pretty much out.

I also have a BMW R1200GS which is awful heavy for a lot of dirt roads since I am not a 6’5” muscular Austrian, (I’m 5’8”, 165, so you’d do fine) but I don’t regret it because it is such an awesome interstate touring bike. I was surprised that I like it better for highways than my Harley Road King & it does plain dirt, & fire roads just fine. Kinda pricey but I searched out a 1 year old lightly used one & saved 10K.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by scottprice
I should note that I’ve been riding dirt bikes for most of my life. I should have said this will be my first street legal bike

You might like a super moto/caponad(sp?) Type bike then.

Basically a dirt bike with smaller street wheels..

Guy from a shop I used to frequent would pass dedicated sport bike on the track with his.
He was a truly superior rider..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really just depends on what type riding you want to do - all the dual sport & adventure bikes have things they are best at.

If you're not sure exactly what you want I wouldn't buy one of the high end adventure bikes just yet.
Honda makes a 500cc that really does better on the street, but has enough suspension travel, etc. that you can do fine on lighter off road stuff and doesn't cost a fortune (usually less than $7,000), but it's not as good as a larger displacement bike at fast freeway speeds - but can get about 80-85 mpg and does well at normal highway speeds.
Suzuki makes an old school 400cc that is carburated and liquid cooled that is similar to the 500 Honda and about the same price.

If you want something that will get it all done, doesn't cost a fortune (right around $10,000) and is dependable the Yamaha 700 Tenere is a great bike.
It will run down the freeway at fast speeds and has great off road suspension as well.This bike is easy to ride and will go anywhwere you want to go and does not have much in the way of electronic/tech/gadgets on it.
If you go off road you turn off the anti-lock brake system - that's about it.

The big 650 thumper/single cylinder bikes from Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki are better suited to off road. The Kawasaki is best on road but not as good off road (liquid cooled).The Honda is best off road (better suspension), and the Suzuki is the best all arounder in my experience.
None of the single cylinder bikes run as smooth down the road, and the Honda and Suzuki are air and oil cooled and can have overheating issues with extended highway mile use.

The big adventure bikes don't sound like what you need or are looking for and are expensive, but are great bikes.
The BMW GS1250 can be ridden coast to coast with ease if you want to and still be ridden off road, but in my experience is a little heavy for extended off road.
The KTM Super Adventure bikes are a little better off road than the BMW, but aren't quite as good on the highway/freeway.

Lot's of video reviews out on you tube on bikes to watch.

Really just depends on how far and how much you will be riding, and how much you want to spend,etc.

For my money, best value on a bike for the type of use you are looking at is the Yamaha 700 Tenere,
or if you want less expensive and aren't doing really long road trips give the 500 Honda a good look - might get you by until you figure out what you really like.

Good Luck,
-Ted smile

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I’m hunting for my first street legal bike and I’m mainly looking at bikes like the Suzuki Vstrom, Triumph Tiger, Yamaha Tenere, Aprilia Dorsoduro, Kawasaki KLR/KLX, Ducati Hypermotard, Multistrada and Scrambler.... as you can see there is a crossover/dual sport theme here...

I expect to be nearly all road riding but would enjoy the ability to rip around if I want to on some roads and trails. Not technical single tracks, just dirt roads and trails. There will be some highway use so it can’t be a slow bike but I don’t need a rocket.

Let’s hear some feedback on these bikes. What are some regrets you had after your first purchase that you wish you considered before buying that first bike? What are repair costs like on them? Overall durability? General advice is appreciated too

Edit: I also looked at supermotos but I’d imagine you cant ride for any real length of time on those. I’m sure it’s a blast for hour or so rips, more than that and I think my ass would hurt

EDIT2: I should note that I’m 5 foot 11 and 220 pounds.

Scott,

Kinda depends on where you live IMO. If everything is a long haul then I'd probably get a VStrom and go.

If you live in the city or suburbs I'd get a SuperMoto type bike and not look back. They're not intended for long hauls but they are a schit ton of fun for riding every day throughout your season.

I grew up on dirt bikes so I don't get any real pleasure from big street bikes. And I think I'd rather walk than have a dog like the KLR's or similar.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Kinda depends on where you live IMO. If everything is a long haul then I'd probably get a VStrom and go.

If you live in the city or suburbs I'd get a SuperMoto type bike and not look back. They're not intended for long hauls but they are a schit ton of fun for riding every day throughout your season.

I live where there is some great country riding through the mountains, along the rivers with some moderate up and downhill sections. It is a pretty popular riding area for that reason. One of the reasons I am considering something of the adventure bike design is so I can throw a 2man tent and some light camping supplies on the rack and take off a few hours in any direction camp for the night. Although, for the amount of gear I would plan on bringing, I think I could also fit in a large backpack if I were to go to superMoto route.

In the superMoto world I have far less options on my radar compared to my Adventure bike list, some of which are the Ducati Hypermotard, Ducati Hyperstrada and the Aprilia Dursoduro. My reasoning behind those choices are a bit larger motor than some other manufacturers so when I do jump on the highway I have enough power to safely maneuver around when overtaking vehicles. And, quite simply, I think they are really good looking machines

Last edited by scottprice; 02/26/21.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For 80/20 street vs dirt I would take the KLX/DRZ400-SM over my KLR650 any day.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I live where there is some great country riding through the mountains, along the rivers with some moderate up and downhill sections. It is a pretty popular riding area for that reason. One of the reasons I am considering something of the adventure bike design is so I can throw a 2man tent and some light camping supplies on the rack and take off a few hours in any direction camp for the night. Although, for the amount of gear I would plan on bringing, I think I could also fit in a large backpack if I were to go to superMoto route.

In the superMoto world I have far less options on my radar compared to my Adventure bike list, some of which are the Ducati Hypermotard, Ducati Hyperstrada and the Aprilia Dursoduro. My reasoning behind those choices are a bit larger motor than some other manufacturers so when I do jump on the highway I have enough power to safely maneuver around when overtaking vehicles. And, quite simply, I think they are really good looking machines

I'd get a VStrom 650.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

I'd get a VStrom 650.

The V-Strom is quite honestly at the top of my overall list… How would you rate it against the Ducati multistrada?? And why

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I'd get a VStrom 650.

The V-Strom is quite honestly at the top of my overall list… How would you rate it against the Ducati multistrada?? And why

I couldn't say because I've never spent any time around Ducati's.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Have you considered a Honda XR650L?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 46 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,127
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.