Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't tried these yet. They always look great in the ads but have any of you used them in real life? They're kind of pricey compared to crimp connectors but if their claims hold up, they'd sure be easy to use..

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Do not know about that, RC.

I do like and use many of the heat shrink butt splices, but never had one that self solders.

Another automotive product I love, seeing as I am usually driving a rig closing in on 30 years old. I use solder pellets from NAPA to replace battery cable ends. Just cut off the original end behind any corrosion. Put a solder pellet inside a terminal lug. Insert clean bare copper cable. Then heat with a propane torch until the pellet melts.

I have not had one fail yet repaired in this manner. Then I use a battery post to marine adapter on the battery. From that point on, all it takes is a quick turn of a couple wing nuts to release a battery.

This conversion is especially desirable on old Chevys with crappy side connectors.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Used them for many years at work/home and they work great. Much easier than twisting wire, soldering and then taping a splice. I never seem to have the size of heat shrink tubing I need. The heat guns we used at work had a heat shield that wrapped all the way around the splice to contain the heat and make the solder melt faster.

Last edited by victoro; 02/26/21.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Solderstick is just one brand and they're kind of expensive. Amazon has a bunch of other Chinese brands that are much cheaper.

So far I haven't been able to find out what the voltage rating is on them. Can they be used for 120V or are these just for low voltage? I suspect they're for 12 or 24V only but can't find it in print.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used them. They are good if used where there is no wind. They require being heated consistently. I probably use more butt splices on equipment and trailers than on anything else. Most of those repairs are made outside where it can be windy.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I always thought it was better to overlap the wire for a good solder connection..

But it seems a good way to keep the connection dry.

I think twist, solder, then liquid electrical tape would be a better solution..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I do like and use many of the heat shrink butt splices, but never had one that self solders.

Another automotive product I love, seeing as I am usually driving a rig closing in on 30 years old. I use solder pellets from NAPA to replace battery cable ends. Just cut off the original end behind any corrosion. Put a solder pellet inside a terminal lug. Insert clean bare copper cable. Then heat with a propane torch until the pellet melts.

I have not had one fail yet repaired in this manner. Then I use a battery post to marine adapter on the battery. From that point on, all it takes is a quick turn of a couple wing nuts to release a battery.

This conversion is especially desirable on old Chevys with crappy side connectors.

I've had good luck with "military terminals". I keep them in stock.

http://www.prime4x4.com/shop/c/p/Military-Battery-Terminals-sku-MilTerm001.htm

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Kingston. Never heard of them before today. I don't have a heavy need for connectors, but when I do, those would certainly fit the bill.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Kingston,

That is a good looking product I was unaware of. Even better than the marine terminal conversion I have been using.

A little scared to clic on a Kingston link, but this one is okay.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They work, keep in mind it's low temp solder and low temp solder does not work well in high vibration environments.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When used correctly those should be great. One thing I would do is make sure the finished splice is protected from vibration because the connection may be subject to some embrittlement. I'd also be inclined to put some additional shrink tubing over it to enhance moisture resistance and provide a little more mechanical integrity.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O

IS,
Have you ever built up a degraded terminal?

I hate to cut away cast-on terminals, especially if you are limited on wire length.
I never thought to build one up with solder...but I have mashed pulled bullets into a shim.

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
They work, keep in mind it's low temp solder and low temp solder does not work well in high vibration environments.

That's good to know. I've thought about getting some.of these. Seems like I use quite a few butt-splices, but they leave a bit to be desired. I was looking at these as a possible improvement.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I don't believe I have ever had a silver-soldered, shrink wrapped splice ever fai l- but then I don't do many, and I don't want to do them twice.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kingston

I've had good luck with "military terminals". I keep them in stock.

http://www.prime4x4.com/shop/c/p/Military-Battery-Terminals-sku-MilTerm001.htm

These are military. They were developed by Tyco's military shrink wrap division, Raychem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So far I haven't been able to find out what the voltage rating is on them. Can they be used for 120V or are these just for low voltage? I suspect they're for 12 or 24V only but can't find it in print.

I've never used them, but you could always throw a wrap or two of electrical tape around the joint and it would be good to go for higher voltage.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
]

I imagine that they have several sizes for different wire gauges like most connectors. If the circuit is properly designed with the proper wire for the load it shouldn't be an issue.
But..
How much they heat up will vary on how well they bond..but that low temp solder will become important then.

-OMotS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by 12344mag

That's good to know. I've thought about getting some.of these. Seems like I use quite a few butt-splices, but they leave a bit to be desired. I was looking at these as a possible improvement.

If you use the vinyl butt splice connectors that have no bell on the ends (Here) and a good quality Shrink tube with Hot glue on the inside you have a mighty fine Waterproof connection.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

IS,
Have you ever built up a degraded terminal?

I hate to cut away cast-on terminals, especially if you are limited on wire length.
I never thought to build one up with solder...but I have mashed pulled bullets into a shim.

No, I have not tried to add lead to the terminal. I do not gave the tools to do a job like that.

Growing up on the farm. Having 50 year old tractors around and equipment like hay swathers which only get started six or eight times per year, there are ample opportunities to repair battery cables.

Most commonly used are the terminals which simply clamp to the end of the copper cable. They are okay for temporary repairs, but seldom last beyond several years.

The soldered lugs are far superior.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Meh.

Not a fan.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,688
Posts18,456,480
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.