Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yellow and Chocolate. The black ones I’ve had were crazy.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Silver, Red, etc are breed for color! Black, Yellow, and Chocolate are not forced colors. You agree in your own words with my statement!

Sure, if someone is breeding primarily for color AND is willing to accept negative traits in the parents simply because the breeding will result in offspring of a preferred color, then they are breeding poorly/irresponsibly.

Well, you’re way wrong on most stuff here, but it just appears you’re misinformed and proud of it.

‘Red’ is the original ‘yellow’ Labrador retriever color, and all yellows have differing amounts of differing shades of fur, from almost white, to deep red. Breeding a pair of great hunting yellows, that happen to be on the red end of the spectrum, is in no way ‘forcing color’, as they can be ANY shade and all shades of ‘yellow’. I will say that the lighter, whiter yellow coloring has FAR more to do with forced breeding (among lighter yellow dogs) than the deeper yellows or even reds.....because we’ve had decades of folks wanting ‘white’ or ‘creme’ labs, for cosmetic/show reasons, and pursuing such....while field breeders didn’t push that, it’s proliferated down.

Silver OTOH, is not Labrador color....it’s forced from a particular marker that was INTENTIONALLY turned on, by breeding to something that had it turned on already......which was never a lab, to begin with.

I fully agree in breeding for aptitude and ability, and not show.....but from a yellow owner perspective, it’s always better to breed yellows to yellows or yellows to blacks. Dual recessives (chocolate and yellow) can bring out undesirable aberrations.

From some of your other comments about lab color and breeding, it might be better if field bred labs stayed away from you to begin with.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/17/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My preference is Black.

This is TEX. Long gone but not forgotten. Championship bloodline, 98 lbs. of muscle in his prime. He was a great dog:

Last edited by High_Noon; 02/25/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
High_Noon that's a handsome devil. I bet he would have liked my Jackie Brown

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They're all nice. I'd just pick the one that was most interested in you, tiebreaker being size of paws.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have always had black until my current Lab, which is yellow. She is in my avatar.

I have fallen in love with yellows because of her. Chocolate is my least favorite.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Black for me!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like them all, but like yellows and blacks more, and have had a preference for yellows (especially darker dogs), for years....just as much by luck of the draw, I guess. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My hunting but has had 2 labs out of the same kennel here in W WA. Both English chocolates.

Absolutely great dogs and great hunters. I'm partial to chocolates just because of that.

Aesthetically speaking, I like chocolates, blacks and yellows in that order. I'd steer clear of any silver/white/red type breeders.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL.....’whites’ and ‘reds’ ARE ‘yellows’, with ‘red’ being the original ‘yellow’, and both ‘whites’ and lighter ‘yellows’ being the result of breeding for ‘shade’....as much or more than anything else.....well, except wiemeramer crosses for ‘silver’....which is a blight. I’m not a fan of ‘lighter’ dogs, just because of hiding them, but not because they can’t be any good in the field. Over the last decade, I’d wager there’s FAR more issues with breeding for a specific color, with regards to chocolates......as they're the most recessive color combo.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 03/11/21.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have had blacks or yellows. Right now I have a 7 year old yellow and a 1 year old black male, a grandson of Apache Joe. I take good blood lines over color any day.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like that truck bed with a load of geese photo. Had a yellow that looked pretty much like that one.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, 44mc, 2UP, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 15 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.