Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't get much "interesting" food here, as in foreign "specialty" goodies, no market for them I guess. Poor, rural folks need cheap food.

But, I have a relative in a big city who enjoys the same stuff I do, and occasionally I get a care package.

Yesterday's box contents!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Chocolates from Germany and Austria, dried meats and sausages from Spain and the US of A, crackers from Spain, olives from Spain and the Middle East, three different cheeses for USA, a jar of jelly from their town, a can of white tuna from Spain, and some stuff from the garden and their neighbor's. Might have missed and item or two.

Today's lunch plates. Everything was delish!

The green olives were from the can in the first pic, they are stuffed with a little piece of Spanish ham and were really good.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Big Thumbs Up!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Don't get much "interesting" food here, as in foreign "specialty" goodies, no market for them I guess. Poor, rural folks need cheap food.

But, I have a relative in a big city who enjoys the same stuff I do, and occasionally I get a care package.

Chocolates from Germany and Austria, dried meats and sausages from Spain and the US of A, crackers from Spain, olives from Spain and the Middle East, three different cheeses for USA, a jar of jelly from their town, a can of white tuna from Spain, and some stuff from the garden and their neighbor's. Might have missed and item or two.

The green olives were from the can in the first pic, they are stuffed with a little piece of Spanish ham and were really good.

Damn! That is a good friend!

Sean
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
No Vienna sausages?

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Damn! That is a good friend!

I'll say.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice to have considerate relatives

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Military commissaries have entire aisles of imported foods, because service families remember treats they had while stationed all over the globe. A treasure trove of goodies much like those in this thread. I manage to snag a few most visits. If you have a hankering, and have a friend who can shop at a commissary, perhaps they'd look for some favored item or three.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's a "European Market" by me that is a treasure trove. It started as a Russian market, but has mutated. Incredible amounts of Euro goodies there. I've posted pics from there before. You'd have to use the link on my signature or kingston's to find them now, since the regular search engine here doesn't work very well.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I was in college (SLO 1980-1985) my dear Mother would send her breadsticks and Molinari salami. My sister would send fierce 101 rum cake. The first year of college I was headed home to surprise my parents and hit the pheasant opener. A rollover in my CJ-7 on 101 outside Hollister. I had a fair bit of left face road rash that would glow when I drank alcohol. It would later glow when I ate my sisters rum cake.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by EdM
When I was in college (SLO 1980-1985) my dear Mother would send her breadsticks and Molinari salami. My sister would send fierce 101 rum cake. The first year of college I was headed home to surprise my parents and hit the pheasant opener. A rollover in my CJ-7 on 101 outside Hollister. I had a fair bit of left face road rash that would glow when I drank alcohol. It would later glow when I ate my sisters rum cake.

laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Military commissaries have entire aisles of imported foods, because service families remember treats they had while stationed all over the globe. A treasure trove of goodies much like those in this thread. I manage to snag a few most visits. If you have a hankering, and have a friend who can shop at a commissary, perhaps they'd look for some favored item or three.

Never thought of that Rocky.

Have a couple of friends locally that are vets, but never heard of anyone going to a commissary. I'm not even sure if they have one down in Herlong at the Sierra Army Depot, which is well over 2 hr drive away.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
There's a "European Market" by me that is a treasure trove. It started as a Russian market, but has mutated. Incredible amounts of Euro goodies there. I've posted pics from there before. You'd have to use the link on my signature or kingston's to find them now, since the regular search engine here doesn't work very well.

Yep,

I'll get right on using that link. smirk whistle

Anyone in the Spokane area can go to Mariupol Market for E European stuff. Never saw any of this Spanish stuff there when I was up there before I retired. Their meat cases had some pretty good sausages and cheeses though. Lots of varieties of tea and preserves too.

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
No Vienna sausages?

getoutahere

I used to get the little cans of Herdez when I lived in NW PA from them. But I can find them here in the outback now. Herdez seems to have gone bigtime.

Last edited by Valsdad; 02/28/21.

In it is contentment

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (160user, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.