Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Fry up some Spam slices till nice and browned, smear some mayo on bread and add pickled jalapeno slices. That, boys and girls, is a sammich.

I would substitute mustard for the mayo and add some American cheese.

Don't forget to add the fried egg.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=Pappy348]Is it my imagination, or are canned meats like corned beef a lot worse than they used to be? I used to love deviled ham as a kid. The last time I bought it it seemed really nasty. Just opened some corned beef and it was pretty yucky too.------------------- Years ago, late 1960s, I worked nights in a packing house. Around 2AM they would wheel out a few carts of canned corned beef from Mexico that had been opened and placed in a few tubs, to be cooked and smoked. I always liked to grab a handful when I walked by. It was real good food. One night I sauntered by and took my usual and commenced to chew. I happened to look at what was still in my hand and there was a typically huge cockroach, only just a half. Repulsed, I spit my mouthful back in the tub and made a beeline to the Federal Meat Inspectors Office. I knew him. His son and I went to school together. We went back to the tub and I showed him the roach and he make a fairly brief inspection and found more roaches and a used bandage along with twigs and leaves and unrecognizable garbage. Needless to say, he roped off the area and the loading dock that held a pallet of more canned corned beef and had me take him to the warehouse to condemn the areas in violation, there. Many years passed and the story goes that there was no more canned corned beef from Mexico imported into the US. Seems as tho the best excuse they could come up with is that there were no screens on their packing plants. I know I couldn't find corned beef loaf for many years after that incident. If I did find some I couldn't eat it.

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had some spam fried up yesterday

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don’t like spam fried or even heated. Just squish it outta the can, slice it, on a piece of soft white bread with Mayo and lettuce.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I don’t like spam fried or even heated. Just squish it outta the can, slice it, on a piece of soft white bread with Mayo and lettuce.

That works too

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Spamburgers, Spam and mac & cheese and eggs and fried Spam for me please.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Never heard of such a thing.

I dont mind hot dogs straight out of the package though.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I tasted the Spam I got for the wife a couple of times and found it unbearably salty. Whatever other “charms” it may hold, that s a deal-killer for me.

Bought a bit of canned chicken recently as well. Little difference compared to albacore tuna to my taste in a “tuna” noodle casserole.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
drain a can of Vienna sausages. Pour in BBQ sauce and tap the sauce into place. Serve with Saltines and pickles. Yum!

Sam......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Add a couple of pieces of "rat" cheese.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I tasted the Spam I got for the wife a couple of times and found it unbearably salty. Whatever other “charms” it may hold, that s a deal-killer for me.

Bought a bit of canned chicken recently as well. Little difference compared to albacore tuna to my taste in a “tuna” noodle casserole.

We buy the lower sodium version of spam. And yes albacore tune and canned chicken breast very similar

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hence the name, “chicken of the sea”.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Hence the name, “chicken of the sea”.

Yes, but it has to be the albacore. Not the standard grade.
wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Never heard of such a thing.

I dont mind hot dogs straight out of the package though.

[quote=Jim_Conrad]

The lettuce makes it more like a salad.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
A lot healthier that way I hear.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's the way I grew up eating it.

Sliced cold on bread with butter, mustard, and onion. Dad would dice it up and scramble with eggs on occasion, but that was the only time I ever had it heated.

Same with bologna. Seems weird to fry it before eating it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to love canned corned beef hash. The dew is off that lily however. Last couple times I fixed it, it fell short of expectations.

Chipped beef on toast was another. May as well just toss some lunch meat in cream gravy with a few tablespoons (heaping) of salt....

Last edited by MadMooner; 03/15/21.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.