Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I'm on my third year in Alaska and having lived in remote areas, I haven't paid attention to the draw hunts.

I'm planning to move onto the road system this coming year so I figured that it was time to start paying attention. When the results came out this last week I was shocked at the number of guys who were angry at now drawing any tags, and who seemed to plan on sitting out the year and not doing any hunting.

So, what gives? Hunting for all of the common animals is available to residents each year, so why are these guys willing to sit out the year just because they didn't draw a limited tag?

I guess having lived in Wyoming I just can't understand sitting out a year, when there are general tags available. In Wyoming/Colorado/Utah the draw hunts tended to be in premium units, or were structured to reduce hunting pressure, or both. But if you didn't draw a tag, you went with your plan B and hunted on one of the over the counter general tags(if available).

So I guess my real question is: what makes the draw hunts so desirable? I know that some are managed for trophy quality. But it seems that there is more to it than that if not drawing a tag is keeping guys from hunting at all. Does it boil down to an access issue? Are guys wanting to draw so that they can drive to the hunting area instead of flying/boating/hiking in? Are they staying home because they don't have a boat or don't want to fork out the cash for a flight?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Speaking only for myself, I didn't put in this year for drawings. The drawings I used to put in for are difficult access for the most part, and I'm getting old and lazy. The desirability of packing a caribou out 8-10 miles on my back has somewhat waned...... can no longer see throwing away "6 chances" money on a very small chance of getting to hunt there, when there are, as you say, other "general" hunts available.

So I'll be driving 750 miles one way to hunt caribou a couple miles off-road, using an ATV, primarily for packing out the meat, tho I prefer non-motorized hunting. The wilderness quality of the hunt as to "few other participants" is somewhat diminished but the eating is the same. With my wife and son, we could take 6 caribou last year (took 3), vs one on the permit system, or two if my wife drew also. But even if she did, access and time restraints (herd movement) would likely mean we could only take one.

Plus it is an opportunity to visit friends and family up there. I should move to Fairbanks, I guess..... smile

I'll most likely be driving a similar distance to marginally hunt moose from my remote cabin, via boat access. September is lovely in Interior...Although I might, now being retired, start putting in for Tustemena Lake area moose hunts- just for the heck of it. Chances there are likely better than out Swanson River (15A) where I've hunted since 1980, except the last 10 years - 8 of them in Kotzebue.. Numbers are way down, but it's close- and pack in.... I always enjoy camping trips..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Less people, means a higher quality experience. In many Western units it also ups the success and can allow a trophy animal. General seasons, can be good in some states but the best is usually on permit hunts. I haven't been on a General hunt in several years. But I also apply in numerous states.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Less people, means a higher quality experience. In many Western units it also ups the success and can allow a trophy animal. General seasons, can be good in some states but the best is usually on permit hunts. I haven't been on a General hunt in several years. But I also apply in numerous states.

I was only referring to Alaska. I am familiar with the draws in the Western States.

I seems like here in Alaska the draw hunts are more of a "bonus" compared to the over the counter hunts, which are the meat an potatoes. In the Western states down in the lower 48 it is the opposite: the draws are the bulk of the hunts and the over the counter tags provide scraps for those who didn't draw.(I'm talking about residents hunting in their own state).

I guess I was just surprised to see so many guys getting really upset about not drawing a tag here in AK. From my perspective is doesn't seem like anything to get upset about. "You didn't draw a sheep tag for an over the counter area? Then go hunt a general area...."

But I do understand getting upset when not drawing means that you can't hunt. I would be a depressed for a week following the Wyoming draws most years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Draw hunts allow access to areas that would otherwise not be accessible for whatever reason deemed by the ADF&G. Take for example the Tok sheep hunt, if they didn't restrict it to draws the sheep hunting there would be almost non existent due to overhunting, same with the DCUA. I put in for draws ever year and draw about every 2-10 years but I put in for specific hunts and if I don't draw then I make other plans, not a big deal really. The whining and crying about not drawing has been going on for decades, it's just the nature of the beast I guess.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jason_Brown
When the results came out this last week I was shocked at the number of guys who were angry at now drawing any tags, and who seemed to plan on sitting out the year and not doing any hunting.

So, what gives? Hunting for all of the common animals is available to residents each year, so why are these guys willing to sit out the year just because they didn't draw a limited tag?

Because Alaska has more than its fair share of pouty little bitches who think they’re owed a drawing tag every year. I’m disappointed I didn’t draw the Fort Rich muzzleloader moose tag or Delta bison for the 17th year in a row. Not stopping me from hunting though. Actually frees me up to explore some opportunities to explore other areas.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lol. That pretty well covers it.

You can certainly have a good hunt for most species without drawing, but there are enough things to hunt that you can run out of time. For example, if I don't draw a goat tag, I probably won't hunt goats. I could go to kodiak and make it happen every year, but I just dont hate myself that much.

Somehow I will still probably manage to go hunting and have a little bit of fun.

Folks need drama...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anyone who says they are unable to hunt because they did not draw, does not understand.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whine and cry. I thought twig was back....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of the whining is frustration for pissing away $$$$$$ on lotto tickets. These same guys bitch when they don't win the powerball either.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon will, in a couple years, be draw only for deer, elk, pronghorn, sheep, and goats. Archery has historically been over the counter for deer and elk. That is going away for deer this year, and for elk in 2022. Limited entry for all big game, and one will have to pick his weapon of choice when applying. My guess is we'll see a bit of a reduction in archery hunters, since many went the alternative archery route when their rifle applications failed.

Given the aridity found in 2/3rds of Oregon, we simply have more hunters than available game.

Wyoming has been an alternative in the past, but one needs about 3 points to pull in a Gen elk tag now, and non-residents can't do over the counter pronghorn any more either.

As to the OP, if I was indeed in truly remote portions of Alaska, I'd not worry about the draw either.

Now days, between home and out of state options, I do try to find something to hunt each year.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/01/21.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Anyone who says they are unable to hunt because they did not draw, does not understand.

If I’m unable to hunt, it’s due to work, not from lack of a drew tag. With that being said, I’m considering a career change to be able to make moose season.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Different situation when it’s work. BTDT. Hope you can make it work for you.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 1minute

Wyoming has been an alternative in the past, but one needs about 3 points to pull in a Gen elk tag now, and non-residents can't do over the counter pronghorn any more either.

As to the OP, if I was indeed in truly remote portions of Alaska, I'd not worry about the draw either.

I lived in Wyoming until 2018 and there were no over the counter tags for residents for antelope either. But I was able to learn the place well enough that I found a good hunt that I could draw about every other year.

And I agree about not worrying about the AK draws as a remote resident, but I am moving to the road system this year so I thought that it was time for me to get it figured out.

Jason

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Hudge

If I’m unable to hunt, it’s due to work, not from lack of a drew tag. With that being said, I’m considering a career change to be able to make moose season.

Hudge, what line of work are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in the same boat as you, and I am looking to go into another career. I'm a teacher and I am fed up with my job getting in the way of my hunting.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thank you guys for all the info. I have a much better understanding of the situation. A minority of loud, whiney bitches crying about the draw, that makes sense.

Jason

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And 40 years of putting in for a bison tag and never drawing..... smile. Fug em- no more. I don't need no stinkin' bison meat anyway - I can get caribou on general hunts. So far.

I've never been overly impressed with bison meat anyway, but then I've only ever had it in restaurants - and they can screw up a wet dream when it comes to fish and game. True - they weren't GOOD restaurants.... With rare exception, I won't order fish in a restaurant either, anymore. Mahi-Mahi at Don Ho's is the only one I can think of, in fact. I don't even try anymore.

As pointed out, drawing permits are necessary in areas where demand exceeds supply. Entitlement psychs don't get that. No one is obligated to apply, and no one is entitled to a permit. You pays your money, and pays your money, and pays your money and takes your very lonely chance. smile

You are spoiled Jason. 5 caribou per day and all, shoot from the snow machine, drive right up to the carcass.

Man, I'm missing that...... well, not so much, now that I have ATV hunting available.... I got old,.... and spoiled. smile

Enjoying your temps? smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by las; 03/02/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I'm in the same boat as you, and I am looking to go into another career. I'm a teacher and I am fed up with my job getting in the way of my hunting.

You planning to become valley trash? 😁

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jason, I work for Uncle Sugar as a Budget Analyst. I could save the government money and cut my position all together. I have no clue why we have 5 of us. They had three for a while, but for some reason, they worked a ton of overtime, no clue why either. June and September are our busy months so it cuts into moose hunting and fishing for reds, also duck season. Outside of those two months, my job is boring for the most part. I want something a little more involved and that I can take off work without certain restrictions on the time of year. I left another job on base as it had no promotion potential, my current one does, but the boredom gets to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nothing wrong with being Valley Trash! I enjoy it a lot more than when we lived in Anchorage. I also try to avoid Wal-Mart, but being from Arkansas originally it’s kind of hard. 🤪

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Nothing wrong with being Valley Trash! I enjoy it a lot more than when we lived in Anchorage. I also try to avoid Wal-Mart, but being from Arkansas originally it’s kind of hard. 🤪

Ha ha!
Didn’t say anything wrong with it! Just channeling Ben Stevens. 😉

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Its benefited the State of AK a lot more than me 30 plus years at an average of $250 a year. Would like to hunt specific areas for specific game before I'm 90 YO in favor of a point system my $8K whine.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Draws put money in the states pocket that hopefully benefits our critters. My wife and me have been putting in for bison hunts forever and no luck. We also put in for moose and caribou permits and have spotty success with that. Were cruising by 70 now so we rely more on the ATV's then we used to. I drew a permit for any bull on the Kenai Moose Range Refuge and their is no ATV access, but I can ATV up to the Refuge border and hike from there and hope to find a moose close to the border.

I am also going to talk two grandsons into coming down so they can hunt with me and Grama and help pack the moose. This will probably be the last year I put in for a moose or caribou permit in and area with no ATV access. Darned old age. There are moose in that area and a any bull tag makes hunting easier. The first mid sized bull I see will suit us just fine. Since I will have 25 days to hunt I am going to use my peep sighted Model 71 Winchester in.348 Ackley Improved, should be a hoot!

As for some not hunting with out a permit, ya got me. My wife and me been hunting together for 45 years and as long as we can move we will keep doing it, those blueberry sourdough pancakes just taste better out there.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I believe the monies go into the State’s general fund. Not possible to assign those dollars to a specific program, in spite of what alcohol tax proponents may say.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.