Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Works well in my BSA MKIII and a CZ 452.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by RickF
Like most silhouette shooters, I shoot 90% standard plus. And then in the shoots that matter, Midas gets used for rams and possibly turkeys.[/img]

Funny, I'd never considered swapping ammo this way but it makes a lot of sense. I shoot SK Standard for silhouette or Norma Tac 22 which perform identically in my Anschutz 1722.

I suppose that if I had sufficient time, even sorting the good stuff by rim thickness may be worth it or at least at the SK/Norma price point sorting and shooting consistent rims on the turkeys/rams.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I really like that Norma match ammo. It is great stuff. All of my rifles like it too, just about like SK standard:
All 10 shot groups, as that is what our club does for our rimfire shoots..:
Not bad for a $199.99 rifle..^^

The old girl loves Norma match and SK standard too:

I did a test for accuracy on a Ruger 10-22 I had and later sold because it was not a great shooter: AKA "finicky"...
Another one I found to work very well in all my rifles is also Eley Target, which used to be around the same price as SK standard. It was also available just about everywhere I'd buy ammo. Great 22lr ammo...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice 52!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rick,

Thanks for some excellent information.

RS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickF
In silhouette, a great follow through is more important than that last 50 thou smaller group size. I know you know that, just talking. smile

Oh, I know it! Now, doing it is another thing altogether!

Our season ended up only being 3 matches last year so I'm a case ahead on ammo but 5K is about right for what I shoot.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok, Pugs. How about we sample some of that stuff in the "new" BSA International I picked up, this afternoon in between bullet casting and beer drinking? I think we can squeeze maybe a 25 foot range there in your basement, while your better half is at work?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ok, Pugs. How about we sample some of that stuff in the "new" BSA International I picked up, this afternoon in between bullet casting and beer drinking? I think we can squeeze maybe a 25 foot range there in your basement, while your better half is at work?

25 feet? Do you guys throw the rifle over your shoulder and shoot backwards while looking at the sights with a mirror.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

You're a bad influence! That's why I like you! grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old thread revival, but it is interesting to see that some folks do the same thing I started last year, shooting the cheaper ammo at closer distances and saving the good stuff for farther out.

The SK ammo in general, shoots well across all of my rimfires, much more so than what I have been able to get from any other rimfire ammo. That made it an easy choice to stock up during Trump's years, especially when SK ran promotions.

The only downside to playing musical ammo is if you preload magazines at home before shooting a match...and forget to label them or remember the order they're in.

I shot a long-range silhouette match, which doubles the distance for each silhouette, and is shot from a bench last year. I've got a lot of magazines for each rifle I shoot in comps, so I tend to load magazines at home the night before the match. There are two matches shot back to back, one that allows any type of rimfire rifle and scope, but no tuners are allowed. The second match must be a factory rifle and the scope magnification has to stay at 9x or below.

I shot one of my Vudoo's for the first match and a new CZ 457 Pro Varmint that I'd bought for Base Class NRL22 matches in the second match.

That particular match was the first one where I thought it would make sense to shoot some old Lapua-made Wolf Match for the closer targets, the chickens and pigs, and then switch to Center-X for the turkeys and rams.

I shot the first match using the Vudoo and Center-X, mainly because I already had a bunch of magazines loaded for another match that should have happened the previous weekend, but was rained out. I shot a 37 with it and was annoyed because I didn't watch the wind well enough on the turkeys.

I broke out that little CZ and really hoped to shoot mid 30's but had only put less than 100 rounds through it, mainly to get the dope figured out and make sure it liked the ammo. I shot clean through the chickens at 80 yards, the pigs at 120 yards, and the turkeys at 165. The rams were the only remaining targets, sitting at 200 yards.

I normally shoot a few sighter shots at a sighter plate to make sure everything is good and then switch to a fresh 10 round magazine so that I don't have to reload once I start shooting the silhouettes.

When I shot at the sighter plate, everything was good, so I grabbed a fresh magazine and started shooting. I missed the first ram with a shot that went way high, then proceeded to miss the next ram way low. The 3rd ram was hit dead center followed by another miss. I couldn't figure out what was happening to my Center-X as it's always money at distance. The rules say that once you shoot at the first actual silhouette, that round and the next 4 must be counted and you cannot go back to the sighter plate until you've shot at 5 silhouettes. I missed the 4th and hit the 5th.

I moved back to the sighter plate and shot the last 5 rounds in the magazine and produced an 8" group...I had screwed up and shot the Center-X at the closer targets and was now shooting Wolf...

I loaded up an empty magazine with Center-X since I had no idea if I had any left in loaded magazines or if they were all Wolf. The next 5 shot group on the sighter plate was about 3 inches. I went back to the rams and cleaned them.

There's no way to know for sure that I would have hit those rams I missed had I used Center-X on them, but I'll forever be convinced that I should've shot a 40 with that little CZ on its maiden match if I hadn't screwed up...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
CenterX is dandy stuff, but I've got a CZ 452 that dotes on Pistol King (usually the same price as CenterX). It's awfully good in that 452. It would certainly be worth someone's while to try some next time they are able to buy more ammo.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (7mm_Loco, 44mc, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.