Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Biggest I ever grew was the size of a basketball.

Purple top in a cover crop mix.

I am MAGA.
GB1

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

We have put them out in S TX for deer and they like the tops pretty well. Problem is the hogs like them too and cause bomb craters in the pasture.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Europeans make a root vegetable mash that can include turnips. It almost always includes potatoes, with a few to several of these - celery root (celeriac), carrots, turnips, rutabagas. It is delicious. Have had it in several countries to include France and Belgium, where I found it to be quite tasty. Had it with rabbit in a wine reduction sauce in a sidewalk cafe in Paris and with homemade sausages in a small cafe in Brussels on a narrow alley way just off Grand Place.

The name the Europeans call the mash escapes me right now. I tried to recreate it once here, but wasn't able to duplicate that fine concoction. A coworker from France I worked with told me it was because I hadn't processed the celery root correctly.

Gotta hand it to the Belgians and French. Those folks can cook. Two business trips to Brussels and there abouts in a past life. Ate good both times. Stuff that is not so common in US: Horse meat, prairie oysters, mussels, escargot, skate. All well prepared and very tasty. And true Belgian waffles. No comparison in the US...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never could eat those!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
like them, I cook the turnips and greens with chopped-up bacon and sausage chunks, really good.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Slice it and roast it in the oven with salt and olive oil. Love to eat them. We grow 6-8 acres every year for the deer and I always take plenty for myself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Europeans make a root vegetable mash that can include turnips. It almost always includes potatoes, with a few to several of these - celery root (celeriac), carrots, turnips, rutabagas. It is delicious. Have had it in several countries to include France and Belgium, where I found it to be quite tasty. Had it with rabbit in a wine reduction sauce in a sidewalk cafe in Paris and with homemade sausages in a small cafe in Brussels on a narrow alley way just off Grand Place.

The name the Europeans call the mash escapes me right now. I tried to recreate it once here, but wasn't able to duplicate that fine concoction. A coworker from France I worked with told me it was because I hadn't processed the celery root correctly.

Gotta hand it to the Belgians and French. Those folks can cook. Two business trips to Brussels and there abouts in a past life. Ate good both times. Stuff that is not so common in US: Horse meat, prairie oysters, mussels, escargot, skate. All well prepared and very tasty. And true Belgian waffles. No comparison in the US...

Orion, boy are you not kidding. The French and Belgians sure can cook. You mentioned horse meat. At that same cafe in Brussels, I ate some horse meat. It was, of course, delicious. Had a yuge bowl of mussels straight from the English Channel waters in a cafe in Honfleur, France, on the Normandy coast. They farm them there by sinking pilings in the water off the beach and hang nets off them for the mussels to attach themselves to and grow.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
All varieties are not the same. Try white egg turnip. Mild and sweet even when as big as grapefruit.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
All varieties are not the same. Try white egg turnip. Mild and sweet even when as big as grapefruit.

It would still be loose in your ass

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
like them, I cook the turnips and greens with chopped-up bacon and sausage chunks, really good.

Perfect, odd so many don't like turnips or even greens of any sort.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by 673
The devil made Turnips, then tried to make me eat them.

This is the way I am with beets. Hell I even tried to eat em in boot camp. They just got bigger the more I chewed.

Goddam elementary lunch lady used to serve beets or lima beans every fuggin' day. Hated her ass.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
love mashed turnips

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

It would still be loose in your ass

Damn son!

Hahaha!

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
No to turnips. No to beets. No to all of the squashes and gourd-like concoctions as well. You're just wasting heat, butter, brown sugar, cheese, pepper, and everything else folks try to cover up that garbage with. PHOOEY!!!!!

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I dice cabbage, onions, potatoes, turnips, and slice sausage up and throw it all in big cast iron pot with bacon grease. I like to dice em up and let em sautée down!! Damn good eatin’ in home or camp! Kind of a modified bubble and squeak!! Fart like a roan hack horse!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Does it shrivel up in the cold?

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A tator from our garden last fall! A fraction short of 5 pounds! With your turnup and my potato.....we’d have the beginnings of a hell of a soup!

I plant over a nuclear waste site.....what’s your secret? 🤪 memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by memtb; 02/27/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
......barf

Set it on a fencepost and shoot it with your creedmoor

Now you know that creedmoor wouldn't penetrate!!!

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
......barf

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RL
......barf

That's a good idea. I'll set it out about 500 yards,....................cause the Creedmoor is just getting started good at that range.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.