G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Fighting Back Against Corporate Oligarchs
Arnold Ahlert image

By Arnold Ahlert —— February 25, 2021

Fighting Back Against Corporate OligarchsBig Tech has amassed historically unprecedented levels of wealth power by selling American’s personal information in return for “free” access to their respective sites. In short, instead of Americans paying for product, Americans are the product, to the point where they are being tracked and data-mined 24/7/365, at levels of intrusion that make George Orwell’s Big Brother seem benign by comparison.

In Australia, the government considered legislation that would require Facebook and Google to pay to link to Australian news stories. Facebook’s initial response? The company banned users from posting Australian news content. It insisted the proposal “fundamentally misunderstands the relationship between our platform and publishers who use it to share news content,” and that news sites already benefit from Facebook referrals.
Great first step towards reining in these out-of-control platforms

Ultimately both companies folded when Australia added binding arbitration on the costs associated with those payments. The digital platforms will get one month’s notice before they are formally designated under Australia’s News Media Bargaining Code, giving those involved more time to broker agreements before they are forced to enter binding arbitration.

It’s a great first step towards reining in these out-of-control platforms. Now, let’s go in for the proverbial kill.

What I’m proposing applies to ordinary Americans who don’t have the kind of clout possessed by government, Google, Facebook or all the other corporate behemoth who traffic in our personal information for profit. And if America’s Congress has an ounce of courage, the following could revolutionize the entire data-mining/surveillance landscape:

If one writes a song, a book, etc. and copyrights it, anyone who uses it must pay its creator a royalty.

Congress should pass a law extending such copyright protections to all of one’s personal information. Thus, when corporations sell that info, one should get a royalty payment based on some percentage of that sale.

Toward that end, Congress should also give American an opportunity to renegotiate all preexisting agreements that one is forced to sign in order to access Facebook, Twitter, etc., and require that royalty clause to be included in all such user-provider agreements going forward.

At the point one of two things will happen: Americans will make a lot more money—or get a lot more privacy.

It doesn’t get more win-win than that.

https://canadafreepress.com/article/fighting-back-against-corporate-oligarchs

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the idea.....but the “price” people pay for all the fun schit on Facebook is their privacy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
I like the idea.....but the “price” people pay for all the fun schit on Facebook is their privacy.

There is no fun schit on Facebook worth them stealing your information.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great post, geedubya. But, I fear we don't have enough unowned Congress critters to make that stick. They sold their cohones long ago.

Last edited by local_dirt; 02/27/21.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
Fighting Back Against Corporate Oligarchs
Arnold Ahlert image

What I’m proposing applies to ordinary Americans who don’t have the kind of clout possessed by government, Google, Facebook or all the other corporate behemoth who traffic in our personal information for profit. And if America’s Congress has an ounce of courage, the following could revolutionize the entire data-mining/surveillance landscape:

If one writes a song, a book, etc. and copyrights it, anyone who uses it must pay its creator a royalty.

Congress should pass a law extending such copyright protections to all of one’s personal information. Thus, when corporations sell that info, one should get a royalty payment based on some percentage of that sale.

I can go with the concept of protecting intellectual and artistic rights. Lot's of hard work and time is stolen daily. I too am an artist, communicator / public speaker. This is important to me.
I've had people in public leadership positions openly steal tens of thousands of dollars from me.

A friend just conducted an investigation into his copyright protected works. Guess who the thieves were?

......A: Agencies of multiple govts including the US.
It's not enough that they steal from us yearly. A BIG chunk of labor is taken from us constantly and we are allowed to keep some too.
Why?

A: We live in the land of the fee, home of the slave.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 02/27/21.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
That's a surprisingly good idea; especially to see here, on the 'fire. GD

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

How about the Credit Bureaus or Agencies? They've been profiting off private information for far longer than Google, et. al.

False information can be posted on your credit report and getting it removed or corrected is like passing an act of Congress. How about Experian (aka Equifax) with their Experian Boost shakedown scheme offering a magical increase to your credit score if you pay them money?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt

The ones that sign up for that crap think otherwise, they sell their souls for 👍👍👍

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Unfortunately, it is not just Face Book. It is Google, Apple, your smart phone, your home computer, your car, credit cards, customer "loyalty" cards, online purchases, ad nausea...

What Americans need is some form of GDPR+. Unfortunately, there are too many swamp creatures in DC making money off of (being paid by) Big Tech to have any chance of GDPR-like legislation being passed in the U.S. JMO...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Florida is working on protections.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, any financial institution, credit reporting agency, or merchant who comes into possession of peoples' information should be held strictly accountable and responsible for keeping it secure regardless of the circumstances that put that information in their hands. When someone hacks into Trans-Union's database and hoists consumers' financial data a simple "oops," apology, and a year's worth of "free credit monitoring" do not cut it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you're going to copyright something, don't you have to tell everyone what it is?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.