-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my great-great-great grandfathers served in the Union Army during the Civil War. He was from Illinois at the time, I believe. He never made it home and is buried somewhere in Tennessee. I'm sure other ancestors fought on both sides, but digging up the history on a good deal of my family history has proven to be fruitless. I'm sure there were some who fought in the Revolutionary War too. There is some sketchy evidence on one from South Carolina.

I considered by step-father to be my dad. He served in the USN during the mid-50s, and not long before he passed he told me about submarine service in those days. He was crew on the destroyer Hubbard (DD 748) for a time, and the submarine Pomodon (SS 486) also. While on the Pomodon, they would sneak into the harbor at Vladivostok before first light and sit on the bottom collecting intelligence. After dark they'd sneak back out to sea to snorkel and recharge the batteries, then do it all again the next day. They did this for several months.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I was in the Navy , my task was opposite. I was in a VP patrol squadron, lending a hand in antisubmarine warfare. So my dad was in subs as the Cold War was beginning, and I was helping to hunt subs towards the end. I never heard a shot fire in anger and as far as I know my dad didn't either.

Interestingly enough, after he and my mom divorced in 1979 he married a woman who we had all known for years, and she had been a POW in the Philippines throughout WWII. Her parents were missionaries and were caught up in it all and were participants in the Bataan Death March. They were imprisoned in the Philippines until McArthur returned, and her father died there, a victim of appendicitis. She told me a few stories...how they were paraded before the camp commandant each day and had to say "O-hy-oh," which meant good morning or some such. After she and her mother were liberated and returned to the states it took her years to lose the habit of picking up her plate and licking it clean after a meal. I urged her to write her memoirs for posterity, but she never did...and I suspect it was because she didn't want to relive it all.

Below is a photo of William G. Dunaway:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bill Dunaway was a 2nd or 3rd cousin of mine, but I always called him "Uncle Bill." Bill was born to blind parents in Dallas around 1930 or so, and was too much a handful for them. At the age of 16 or thereabouts, he was caught driving a stolen car (they called his deed "joyriding" in those days) and the judge ordered that he vacate Dallas County forever or go to jail. My mom's father went to Dallas, took custody of him, and brought him back to El Paso. He was noted to be one tough SOB...he was known to go out into the sandhills and run a jackrabbit down and catch it. He once brought a jackrabbit home to my grandparents' house, and not knowing what to do with it, put it in my grandfather's closet. The jackrabbit chewed up a brand new suit my garndfather had bought. Anyway, Bill ended up joining the USMC after finding a little more trouble in El Paso, and had to do so to please yet another judge. Bill ended up in Korea, where he won the Silver Star.

William G Dunaway

Bill lived out his life in Southern California and loved the outdoors. Among other pursuits, he was a bowhunter. In the Fall of 1999 he trekked out to a favorite hunting spot and never returned. His son, my cousin, found him dead. He had fallen from a tree stand and injured himself and bled out. Uncle Bill was one of a kind, and I always looked up to him. Miss that guy.

In more recent times, I have a nephew who joined the Army and became a tanker. On his first tour in Iraq in 2006, he volunteered to stand in for a mission with another unit because someone was incapacitated in some way. He was in a tank, and the tank commander asked him to reload the .50-cal. In order to do this, the main gun of the tank had to be raised so the the breech would be low enough in the turret to gain access to the .50-cal's breech. The tank commander raised the gun, but mistakenly lowered it again while my nephew was still in the turret. The breech of the main gun came up under his chin and pinned his head between it and the roof of the turret, basically crushing his head. My nephew ended up with his jaw broken into I-don't-know-how-many pieces, and some skull fractures were involved also. Vision in one eye was lost. He eventually ended up in Walter Reid and underwent many surgeries, after which the Army intended to discharge him. He fought the discharge, and with the help of his chain of command was able to remain in the ranks as long as he chose to stay (with optional full retirement anytime he elected). He served two more tours in Iraq. He did retire about six years ago and is doing well. He considers me to be his mentor and seems to think I could kick his ass in a heartbeat...little does he know, I would never try it, nephew or not.

I got a little history to be proud of...but much more to be grateful for.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My Dad was a Korean war veteran, 8 months in combat in the Army. He did a tour in Germany after coming home from Korea. My grandfather was a WWI veteran and his two sons, my uncles, were WWII veterans. One was at the Battle of the Bulge. He never talked about his experience and got upset if anyone in the family ever ask him about his service. His brother's unit was about to be shipped out to the Pacific when the war ended. My Dad's brother was in the Air Force in the late 50's.

For those of us who never served it is hard to fully understand what the men who went to war experienced and how it effected their lives. I know I am eternally grateful for their sacrifices.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My mom's brother was a medic in the European Theater of WWII, before he transitioned to military intelligence, and then the CIA.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
My dad has a picture of his brother in the Air Force, but I don't know if he knows where it is. I'll have to ask him.

This is a picture of my great uncle (my mother's uncle on her mother's side) getting ready to be deployed to France during WWI.

[Linked Image]

Hawk, every time I see a pic like this it spawns images of trench warfare..That had to be the chittiest duty of all akin to the stench of a Korean or Vietnam rice paddy...BTW do you know if he survived the war ?

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
My grandfather was a radioman in C-47s during WWII, flying the hump bringing supplies into China. Sounded like some real sketchy terrain to fly through.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My great-grandfather pictured here was on the search for Pancho Villa during the Mexican expedition around 1916. He always loved his dogs.

My GF was there chasing Pancho Villa too.
He was 16 and lied about his age to enlist.

Ptarrnigan was your GF in the El Paso area ?

GF went on into the trenches of France in 17/18

Dad was commissioned into the 101st in 1955

81 to 84 I was a Huey crewchief in 4th ID

82 to 86 little brother was an OH 58 crewchief in the 25th ID stationed in Hawaii

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
My grandfather was a radioman in C-47s during WWII, flying the hump bringing supplies into China. Sounded like some real sketchy terrain to fly through.

I’ll bet he knew my uncle Jack. He too, was a radioman “flying the hump”. I got to spend a day with him a few years ago and listen to his stories. He said that when they left the airfield in India, the temps would usually be in the triple digits and they were soaked with sweat. They had to follow a river, flying just above the water to avoid Jap Zeroes. When they got clear of the danger area they climbed as fast as they could to get some altitude to avoid the Zeroes and they had to towel off and climb into their leather and sheepskin flight suits to stand the minus 50* temps over the Himalayas.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dad, stationed in India. Flew the "Hump"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Hawk, every time I see a pic like this it spawns images of trench warfare..That had to be the chittiest duty of all akin to the stench of a Korean or Vietnam rice paddy...BTW do you know if he survived the war ?

Yes, he survived the trenches, and returned home to Danville, VA. He tried out for a professional baseball team, and was accepted on the team as a pitcher. He was told to show up for spring training in a few months, when it was scheduled to start, but wanted to earn some money in the meantime, so he took hours at the Dan River Textile Mill. His shirt sleeve got caught in some gears there, and it pulled him in, killing him, so he never got to play pro ball. Survived the trenches of The Great War only to be killed in a textile mill.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My Dad served during WW II on Guam as a Physician, mostly treating Japanese POW’s who we had napalmed out of caves. After WW II he went back to Boston and finished his Surgical Residency, had 3 kids (me in 1947) and set up a thriving practice in a Boston suburb. Unbeknownst to him, he continued on the roles of the USN Reserves, and got a telegram telling him to report to the USS Columbus for duty as Fleet Surgeon. He kissed us kids goodbye and served off the coast of South Korea until 1954. He got out as a Commander and became Chief of Surgery at a Boston suburban hospital. I was too lazy as a college student to get into medical school, but took Army ROTC and was commissioned an Infantry 2LT. After IOBC at Fort Benning, I spent most of my time shooting a Service Rifle (Match Grade M14) and as a Personnel Officer. I got out as a CPT and a Distinguished Rifleman.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good thread!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My dad, Age 18 1/2 in SEA, Philippines. Medals — PH and ST. Some other captured Japanese items (the leather pouch, flag, some currency, and pictures) not shown. Took home a sniper’s 6.5 Arisaka model 38 carbine with bayonet. There is the question as to whether this is the one he was wounded with. He became a quiet, rather taciturn guy, occasionally mentioning “the sniper” and “war is awful” in later years.

Dad’s other brother was a medic in North Africa and spent 2 years in a German POW camp. He was a great calm, quiet, gentle guy.

A third was in the navy and in the battle of the Leyte Gulf. Lost men, comm’s and one screw. Limped several months to a friendly port excommunicator bailing with anything that could hold water. This brother I think may have had what we now call PTSD after getting home.

Dad later became a history and econ prof on the GI Bill and hated how the Vietnam conflict was hamstrung by the politicos. It was the lottery system by then in ‘70 I believe, and my number was 157. Called to take my physical and planning on going. Dad never said a word. They stopped the call-up in the 140’s in my county.

My dad, the youngest brother, passed in 2017 at 92 and rarely mentioned the war. The other two passed much earlier. But they all made it home.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 02/27/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great Stuff guys.

One of my grandfathers served in Korea
The other grandfather served in WWII with the 86th Division in Europe and the Philippines

Three great uncles served n WWII. One with 4th ID The other two with the 29th Div.

Had great uncles who served in WWI . One of them was KIA at the Belleau Wood.

Several great grandfathers and uncles served on both sides in the Civil War.

Two relatives served in the Revolutionary War.

This 4x great uncle served with the British Army during the Boer War: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8543814/francis-newton-parsons

He won the Victoria Cross. Some in the family say I bear a resemblance to him.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 02/27/21.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a family book, lists almist everyone on my dads side from the
1760s to now.

The first here fought in the revolution.
No mention, but a dam good chance he was involved in the
Whiskey Rebellion, time, place, auction list of his stuff included bags of hops and a still,

Another ancestor was housed😉 at Andersonville His, family went and paroled him.

Not sure who else, paternal or maternal.
Mom's dad was a WWII vet. Army European theater.

This thread got me to call the local Vetrans affairs office, to try and
get records. A DD-214 is available, really hoped to acquire a full record.
He was a bit wild, up until his death. Know he was demoted several times
would love to find out details. They tell me that's not available, darn
shame. Loved the man, worshiped him. He had a good enough discharge to get benefits and Gram did too, so there wouldn't be anything there
too bad. Or surprising. Wouldn't change a thing except let us know
more of the story.

Gonna get that DD-214. They are building a Vetran's Walk on the Post Office lawn alongside the memorials. Gonna be a brick there
with Pap's name.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my family has been in every armed conflict America was involved with since the Revolutionary war. Except Korea. One nephew today flying Air Force tankers. Another out to Sea on a carrier.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Revolutionary war, texas independence/ the Alamo, civil war, both world wars, Vietnam. No pics except my uncles who were in Nam but I don't have those pics saved on my laptop.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dad was an Armored Cav officer in the National Guard.

My biological grandfather got drafted in WW2....but I have no info about that.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After graduating from Georgia Tech as an Electrical Engineer, my Dad joined the Navy in about 1941. He was an engineering officer on the USS Christopher, DE100.

After the Christopher was sold to Brazil, he was involved in mothballing the Naval ships in Fl. He spent 20 years in the Navy and Reserve. My brothers and I never knew he was in the reserve until he passed away. He just didn't talk much about for some reason. He wasn't very happy when I told him I wanted to join the Navy after school and was thrilled when I found out that the Navy was cutting back on enlistment after Vietnam and my chances of getting in were 0 to none.

He said he never had to dig a fox hole and his food was always hot. His positive reasons for joining the Navy. He said that he was stationed on a floating target for German ships, but that they were built to fight Subs and very well equipped to do just that. He also said that there was a question as to whether or not the steel used in constructing their ship was substantial enough to set off an armor piercing shell from an opposing ship, or would it just pass on through. I'm glad he didn't find out.

This is him on the right, on the bridge of some ship, that isn't identified, in the 1950's we think.

Harry
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
As far as my mothers side we came from Scotland Mclouds originally before the revolutionary war and they fought against the British.Later on branching out in the civil war 2 of my great great grandads inlisted in the 19th va infantry one was wounded at seven pines the other cold harbor.Both were present July 3 1863 under Garnetts brigade in Pickett’s charge both made it back some how.Another great great grand dad was a slave owner fairly large estate folks called him “land lord clements” he eventually got drafted to Petersburg in the final days there not on the yankee side.My fathers side came from France the only thing I’ve been told is they were great lovers what ever the hell that means and my great great granddad on that side served in the Lynchburg home gaurd killed some Yankees there in 1864.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ll really take the time later to relish the stories and take in every word. These threads are the best ones and they show why our country was the greatest nation on earth!….because of the men being memorialized and spoken of here.

The poem “We’re rolling tonight” is one of the finest battlefield poems I’ve ever read and I’ve read a lot of them.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wifes great grandfather was part of a company made up of College Students from Clermont,Iowa, he died in the battle for Shiloh in the Hornets Nest. His brother was Co. Commander and went on to become a US Congressman
She was very close to her Grandmother, but never found out about her Grandmothers Dad, until we got a call asking us to attend a family reunion in Iowa.
Wifes father was a LT in the Army during WWII, but his MOS kept him state side the whole War.
I spent 6 years in the Marine Reserves, 63-69, joined to help pay for College, joined before Nam but our unit was never called up.
My youngest son was recruited by West Point and Annapolis for football, but chose college instead. He'll admit today that it was a wrong decision, he graduated but looking back he'd chose Annapolis if he did it again.

Last edited by jbmi; 09/16/22.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.