Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm asking about post-64 guns. I know they we made that way for some time, but not idea of years, serial numbers, or numbers built.

Any information or trails/links would be appreciated. TIA

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think the very early “Classic” model Supergrades had stocks without the ebony tip. I really don’t know the duration or year. Would t be surprised if it was only one year. 1992ish?

I’m guessing, really.

Last edited by Slope77; 10/31/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks. That helps...

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have one, but am at work so don't think I gave any way of telling you the serial number.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
So is it fair to say that there is no specific serial number range or actual numbers for these rifles beyond the serial numbers assigned by years? For example, 1991 and 1992?

btw - I own two of the SG rifles that fall in the 1992 range of serial numbers. Both are excellent shooters with decently good wood and all appropriate SG metal stamping/imprints.....just no black for end tips. I was simply hoping that someone here might have more specific information.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Re the nineties era Super Grades without black forend tips. First the general - caveat - remark about universal to viewing/conjuring 'out of the ordinary' in guns (& most other things). Even a few weeks is more than sufficient time post-factory to alter 'stuff'. When talking decades or century, the rule tends to become, 'more likely' non-original than original. Thus for collectors the coveted "original" status! For instance, re our stock subject here, a replacement custom stock could be fabricated to appear just as genuine. In such, if era made repro, usually not talking "counterfeit". More likely just era casualty replacement or custom dimensions or whims, etc.

That said... The earliest reintro Winchester Model 70 CRF models of the nineties, were Winchester "Custom Shop" models. First thousand came with certificates attesting to such Custom Shop status. These were actually titled "Custom Super Grade". That production did NOT have the black forend tip. The question then becomes, did the remainder of the 1991 production, estimated year total at ten thousand, include a Super Grade and if so, did it carry such tip. I don't know. I do suspect that 'if' the Super Grade was reintroduced then, it might well have moved forward with the same pattern - non tip - as the initial certificated 'whoop de do' models. According to Winchester official timeline Internet listing, it was in 1992; I quote: "The Pre-’64 Model 70 action returns to general production." My belief that by 1992, the Super Grade had evolved back to fulfill the "Classic" model design including the black tip. My own example is early 1993 production.

The 'net', yes there were some earliest reintroduction "Custom Shop" Winchester "Custom Super Grades" which omitted the black tip. From an Internet auction listing, photo of one such with letter of authenticity = first thousand.

Best & Stay Safe!
John

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
OK...... grin

Still hoping someone has more specific information, but maybe it doesn't exist.

TIA

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15511625#Post15511625

Here is a nice one currently in the classifieds.

All the examples I have seen have been either early custom shop super grade guns, the early custom classics, or early 5 digit classic supergrades (such as the one above).

From a date range, that would correspond to ~’88 for the earliest custom shop CRF guns to ~ ‘92 for the example above.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15511625#Post15511625

Here is a nice one currently in the classifieds.

All the examples I have seen have been either early custom shop super grade guns, the early custom classics, or early 5 digit classic supergrades (such as the one above).

From a date range, that would correspond to ~’88 for the earliest custom shop CRF guns to ~ ‘92 for the example above.

I'd be very cautious concerning the rifle in your reference above. Red flags!
Correct that some of the earliest nineties era Super Grade iterations lacked the black forend tip. The rifle above also lacks: select quality figured SG wood! Yet too, it's significantly lacking the characteristic SG swivel bases which - to my information - even the earliest of these 1991 Custom Shop Super Grades w/o black tips did incorporate! Perhaps the photo angle, but the recoil pad also appears ill-fitted (bulge) at the top. The "Super Grade" floorplate w/nomenclature is available in the marketplace. IF this truly is simply an early Super Grade, the "...of sorts", connotation logically appended; noting it lacks much of the SG pizzazz I'd expect and wouldn't do without. I'd not want it period!
Just my take
Best & Happy Holidays!
John

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
My Winchester Super Grade which I bought in December 1991 or January 1992 and it has those slings studs.

On the forend...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

On the buttstock...

On the barrel....

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In 1988, I ordered one of the first of the “Classic” Super Grade rifles from a special run made by the custom shop, all in .338 Win Mag, though were not called classics. This order was placed with Bruno Pardee of Winchester at the Las Vegas show that year (at the Tropicana). It was delivered in 1989. No special sling swivels, no black foreend tip.

In 1992, I bought the first of the new classics (Super Grade) that I saw, in Phoenix, a .300 Win Mag. No special swivel studs, no black foreend tip. Horrendous bedding (I paid McMillan to fix it). I don’t know exactly when the new swivel studs were changed and black foreend tips added, but I do know the first production guns were as I described.

Last edited by GF1; 12/13/20.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I also have an early SG in .338WM with a similar stock.. Nice wood, but standard sling studs and no black fore-end tip.. I have the original box etc., with it showing the designation as a SG and S/N matches...

It's also for sale... Cheap. (repaired broken stock).. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I checked back with my friend who has it and it is indeed a factory stock, just as Winchester made it.
Phil

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Redneck
I also have an early SG in .338WM with a similar stock.. Nice wood, but standard sling studs and no black fore-end tip.. I have the original box etc., with it showing the designation as a SG and S/N matches...

It's also for sale... Cheap. (repaired broken stock).. smile

Interesting,I had the stock on my SG repaired also not to long ago.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Here is another (nice!) example of an early SG without the black forend. This one also has the standard studs.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887612207

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
GF1 Thanks much for your contribution concerning the 1988 Super Grade genre. Do you by chance still have those '88 & '91 SG editions? If so, some detailed pix would be wonderful along with SN's info - omitting last couple of digits which I recommend nowadays! Your early one is something of a 'missing link' in exactly what those '88 models amounted to! One point concerning all these early, what I call non-adorned stock SG models, both the exact barrel nomenclature and its location, of interest to me. My fancy wood Model of 1993, with the deluxe swivels & black forend - perhaps significant, "Classic Super Grade" nomenclature on RIGHT side of barrel. NOT integral with normal Win chambering, etc nomenclature on LEFT. Where are these earlier SG markings located beyond floorplate?

I'm primarily a pre '64 collector and this thing about these reemergent Win 70 SG rifles; largely 'into the unknown' for be beyond my single specimen and another similar model I'll intro here. To further confuse the matter, below pix of my "Super Express". It, a mixed bag. Ordinary stock but for... grip cap & deluxe swivel, front barrel attached. These rifles in the heavy chamberings & mine, pix below, in 416 Remington Mag.

I know many of us are busy and getting near Christmas. I'd like to keep this Thread going for a bit IF to squeeze out any further information/data/photos-especially to be had!

Best, keep safe!
Happy and Holy Christmas
John

Attached Images
Win Super Express 2.jpg (24.06 KB, 534 downloads)
Win Super Express 3.jpg (24.99 KB, 535 downloads)
Win Super Express 5.jpg (30.29 KB, 531 downloads)
Win Classic Super Express 1.jpg (22.35 KB, 528 downloads)
Win Super Express 4.jpg (22.66 KB, 526 downloads)
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by iskra
GF1 Thanks much for your contribution concerning the 1988 Super Grade genre. Do you by chance still have those '88 & '91 SG editions? If so, some detailed pix would be wonderful along with SN's info - omitting last couple of digits which I recommend nowadays! Your early one is something of a 'missing link' in exactly what those '88 models amounted to! One point concerning all these early, what I call non-adorned stock SG models, both the exact barrel nomenclature and its location, of interest to me. My fancy wood Model of 1993, with the deluxe swivels & black forend - perhaps significant, "Classic Super Grade" nomenclature on RIGHT side of barrel. NOT integral with normal Win chambering, etc nomenclature on LEFT. Where are these earlier SG markings located beyond floorplate?

I'm primarily a pre '64 collector and this thing about these reemergent Win 70 SG rifles; largely 'into the unknown' for be beyond my single specimen and another similar model I'll intro here. To further confuse the matter, below pix of my "Super Express". It, a mixed bag. Ordinary stock but for... grip cap & deluxe swivel, front barrel attached. These rifles in the heavy chamberings & mine, pix below, in 416 Remington Mag.

I know many of us are busy and getting near Christmas. I'd like to keep this Thread going for a bit IF to squeeze out any further information/data/photos-especially to be had!

Best, keep safe!
Happy and Holy Christmas
John

Gee, thanks...... laugh That's why I started the thread in the first place.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
\

Mine a Supergrade but no black tip. Supposedly walnut from Turkey. It has a semi gloss finish. in 7MM Mag. It has a 5 dig serial no G211XX.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here is my 1991 Custom Super Grade 338 with the letter from B.W. Pardee. Ser # G1167. It is NIB, unfired and with all the docs. I posted pics of this in an earlier thread a few months ago. Sorry on the detail but I have not figured out how to post a detailed pic from my IPhone I do not have a PC right now.

Attached Images
Last edited by GAGoober; 02/27/21. Reason: Additional info
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by iskra

Best, keep safe!
Happy and Holy Christmas
John

John, sorry to be late in reply here. While it’s been awhile since I sold that gun, I remember it in detail. I had asked Bruno to supply an extra grade of wood, as well as matte finish on the metal, which they did. The serial numbers in this first run were to be from G1 to G100; mine, which I sold a couple years later, was serial number G39. At the Winchester booth, anybody putting down a deposit could pick the serial number. The gun did not say “Classic”, but did say “Super Grade” on the barrel and floorplate. I sold the gun to the late Ike Ellis, of Idaho Falls (actually Iona), Idaho. All of these first CRF rifles were built by the custom shop.

Hope this helps a little.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
528 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.