Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rarely ask a question here, but now two in two days. Just tried to plug in in a good working tool and the GFCI outlet went "pop"" - no power. Will not re-set. Circuit breaker blown as well - will not reset All of this stuff is new. The tool works - does not blow other outlets.

Do these home type 15A or 20A GFCI units tend to suddenly fail on their own - just blow/quit. Any way to test it as wired - especially since the breaker will not re-set - or how to test if I remove it?

Or, does it sound like simply replace?

Thanks for any help.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
If your breaker won't reset I'd say your GFCI is fugged (if it popped when you plugged your tool in I'd certainly think its the GFCI or loose wiring at the GFCI). Take it out, disconnect the wires from it and try your breaker. If it resets you'll know the GFCI is causing the problem.

ETA: I should have said this when I first replied but I figured it shouldn't need to be said however there are a lot of people who know absolutely nothing about house wiring. When you disconnect the GFCI either tape the wires or put a wire nut on them, make sure they aren't touching anything or each other before you reset your breaker..

Last edited by Skankhunt42; 02/27/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I think the quality control on GFCI’s sucks. In the last year, I’ve had 2 that didn’t work out of the box and another that died within 2 months of install.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes, if it won't reset, not much to do but to
buy another.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They do indeed go bad and there is nothing to fix, just replace.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just because a tool works in a standard outlet does not mean it will necesarily work in a GFCI. Are we talking about GFCI receptacle connected to a 15 amp circuit breaker? Some times when you plug things in things go wrong. Remove the device and see if something is wrong try to reset the breaker.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Safe bet is to just replace the GFCI.

Last edited by MPat70; 02/27/21.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
RL Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
If your breaker won't reset I'd say your GFCI is fugged (if it popped when you plugged your tool in I'd certainly think its the GFCI or loose wiring at the GFCI). Take it out, disconnect the wires from it and try your breaker. If it resets you'll know the GFCI is causing the problem.

This is the best advice if you can do it. Most likely the GFCI but that confirms. In some cases all the GFCI are wired on the same breaker and an outdoor GFCI that gets wet can hold out all of them. Coincidental but might be worth the check.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes they can quit in their own requiring replacement.

FYI a GFCI breaker can also be used instead of a receptacle.

Also, they do make a gfci tester that plugs into the receptacle.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Is this in a damp location? They make a GFI outlet now that's weather tight. I had one that was giving me problems with a stock tank heater. I put in a weather tight one and now it's working fine.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smithrjd
They do indeed go bad and there is nothing to fix, just replace.

Engineered obsolescence

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m assuming you know the obvious but...you have to flip the blown circuit breaker to the off position before you can flip it back on if it has been tripped. Are you saying that you do that and the circuit breaker instantly trips again?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
CCCC,

had our shop wired this past summer. Within a month or so was hanging overhead LED light fixtures. Upon turning them on/plugging them in the GFCI would pop. Tried the lights on another circuit, no issues there. Called out the electrician that wired the place, sure as scheidt, the brand new outlet on that circuit was bad. He said it happens. Would not surprise me if it is your issue.

Good luck with it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I put them in when remodeling the house we live in now, last year. All work, but they are always tripping, for very little or no reason. I suspect quality is the issue, as with many other things I buy regularly. Seriously considering putting in regular outlets and forgetting about it. Whole damn country never had these until a couple decades ago at most, we got along ok. Don't use the hair dryer in the tub, or your circular saw in the rain, and you will live to a ripe old age. Maybe. Either way, it probably won’t be electric outlets that get you. The only time you really need them is when selling the house.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks everyone - and good questions/comments. Dry location, the tool does not blow other breakers/GFCIs on other circuits, no other GFCI on this circuit, did the usual reset sequence and it will not. Already removed and put nuts on the ends of open wires. All good.

Good to know that even a new GFCI will blow due to its own poor design/construction (actually bad news with regard to quality control). Asked about it here because this event surprised me. Next GFCI that quits on its own will now not be a surprise.

Thanks all. Next trip to town/hardware store should solve this.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Any chance these things are made in China? Is there a "made in USA" alternative?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

This is the best advice if you can do it. Most likely the GFCI but that confirms. In some cases all the GFCI are wired on the same breaker and an outdoor GFCI that gets wet can hold out all of them. Coincidental but might be worth the check.

I would replace the GFCI, but before I threw the old one in the trash I would wire a plug to it and plug it in and do the test over. If it tests out okay save it for another project down the road maybe, but if it pops you know you have a bad GFCI.

This will also help give you confidence when you replace the original with new.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes... Chinese GFCI...just replace it..

Master Electrician...42 years

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ace hardware says "not Chinee" - but I'm going to look into that.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How much surge from the tool? That’s a problem with freezer starts plugged into a GFI.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 48 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,236
Posts18,466,731
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.