-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Seller makes a mistake, full refund, including return shipping.

Buyer's remorse....generally tough shlt.....best he could expect is refund on item's cost, minus seller's original shipping expense.

Either way, items get returned first, then monies refunded, as long as item is returned in the as sold condition.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had some jackwagon buy an new old stock Lyman powder dump that was still in the box and had what looked like the original packing grease still on the brass part. He emailed me saying it was rusted and he wanted a price adjustment. I told him to send it back in the same condition as received and I would give full refund to include shipping. He then proceeds to tell me he had already tried to remove it and had scratched some of the number marking off. I reluctantly refunded him $10 as it wasn’t worth the hassle.

CK
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JamesJr
If I sold somebody something, a total stranger, and they wanted a refund, they'd have to return the item to me first. You won't walk into a store and demand a refund on an item you bought, and tell them to give you your money back and then you'll bring the item back to them.

Same thing with anything you buy from a business.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Is this between you and another fire poster?

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you are comfortable with the description you provided in your listing... i.e. you feel it was honest and forthright and it will not keep you awake at night worrying that you deliberately misrepresented... the buyer carries the burden... not you.

If you made an honest mistake and the stock is actually made of Catalpa wood and not Walnut... but you were unaware... there may be some room for a price adjustment.

Thirdly, if you did a poor job packing and the Gorillas at the freight company somehow managed to damage the item there is a burden to make the matter right with the buyer. Either through the insurance the buyer purchased, the insurance you purchased or out-of-pocket or take the item back.

Under no circumstances whatsoever would I return money before the item is returned.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We just got over a huge! Goat Rope with ebay, paypay, and the seller.

All's well that ends well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by aalf

Buyer's remorse....generally tough shlt.....best he could expect is refund on item's cost, minus seller's original shipping expense.

Either way, items get returned first, then monies refunded, as long as item is returned in the as sold condition.

How about a seller doesn’t make a mistake and after pictures and the sellers description once in the hands of the buyer he thinks the sellers description and his (the buyer) are not quite the same !? Who pays the shipping back?

Last edited by DrDeath; 02/27/21.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Originally Posted by aalf

How about a seller doesn’t make a mistake and after pictures and the sellers description once in the hands of the buyer he thinks the sellers description and his (the buyer) are not quite the same !? Who pays the shipping back?

It all comes down to the seller feeling confident that his description was honest and accurate.

The old saying "Under Promise and Over Deliver".

If you are the seller and your description was honest that is all the information you need.

If you are the buyer and you feel the description was egregiously false... either take your lumps or start a call out thread.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I've always had good luck by making phone calls before sending money or goods. Especially if it's an unknown member.

Pick up the phone, discuss the matter. Get a feel for who you're doing business with.

That said, I wouldn't send any money until goods are in hand.

How many times have you shipped an expensive item without receiving the payment first? Not trying to bust your balls just curious. I personally will never send an item until the money is received first?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A seller has an ad for items for sale with pictures and description...a buyer agrees to purchase these items. Once the buyer get these items he wants to renegotiate the price because he doesn’t believe the description was correct. So the seller says no renegotiating - just send the items back for a full refund.

The buyer says no. You send me my refund 1st. Then I’ll send your items.

What is the correct way to close this non sense. The seller even suggested send the items back with tracking and signature and the refund can even be PayPal so it’s instantaneous.

What’s the correct way? To settle this.

I think I’m with Alvah on this.

I bought a rifle off of Gunbroker. The seller, a guy presumably named Alan Bunn, sent me the wrong rifle. Supposed to be blued with a threaded barrel. He sent a non-threaded stainless rifle. I took pictures and sent the pics to him.. he wanted me to send the rifle back to him so he could verify it was the wrong rifle.....told him no, send me the correct rifle... (and he still had an active listing for the correct rifle.)...... and btw, you owe 50 bucks for all the extra cost of shipping and ffl fees. He was adamant that I send the rifle to him first.... nope, told him he was already shifty and then he would have the rifle as well as my payment.

So, I left him an “F” rating and sold the stainless rifle.

Sometimes there isn’t much satisfaction to be gained.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by TF49
A seller has an ad for items for sale with pictures and description...a buyer agrees to purchase these items. Once the buyer get these items he wants to renegotiate the price because he doesn’t believe the description was correct. So the seller says no renegotiating - just send the items back for a full refund.

What is the correct way to close this non sense. The seller even suggested send the items back with tracking and signature and the refund can even be PayPal so it’s instantaneous.

I bought a rifle off of Gunbroker. The seller, a guy presumably named Alan Bunn, sent me the wrong rifle. Supposed to be blued with a threaded barrel. He sent a non-threaded stainless rifle. I took pictures and sent the pics to him.. he wanted me to send the rifle back to him so he could verify it was the wrong rifle.....told him no, send me the correct rifle... (and he still had an active listing for the correct rifle.)...... and btw, you owe 50 bucks for all the extra cost of shipping and ffl fees. He was adamant that I send the rifle to him first.... nope, told him he was already shifty and then he would have the rifle as well as my payment.

Spot-on. Exactly what I would have done.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by flintlocke
On ebay, it's full refund or nothing, no negotiating price or adjustments after the sale.

Thats not at all true..partial refunds are done all the time.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Ain't no re-negotiation. Take it or leave it.

When I'm the seller, I'll do my best to send pics of anything and everything the buyer wants to see. Additionally, I do my best to show any damage whether it's ring marks on a scope, dents/dings/scratches on a stock, etc. I then make it known usually in the original ad and certainly via PM or phone call:

If you buy something from me and aren't happy, send it back on your own dime and I'll send your $$ back once the item is back in my hands in reasonably the same condition as I sent it. No questions asked and no hard feelings, just didn't meet your needs for whatever reason.

I'll often also have the buyer choose the shipper USPS, UPS, or Fed-Ex.

I don't generally negotiate pricing after the fact. I'd be open to discussing something I'd missed that was broken/cracked/non-funcitonal but it'd have to pass my own "sniff test".

As a buyer, I have asked for adjustments upon receipt of an item. The 1st was a Savage 99 that had a couple of cracks in the tang. I should've known to ask for more detailed pics. The seller said it wasn't cracked when I bought it despite me sending detailed pics showing cracks with obvious age, not fresh cracks. Then the seller said I'd bought under market price anyway and there would be no adjustments and no refund. Live and learn.

The 2nd was a SxS Shotgun that arrived with a faulty ejector. I found it shortly after receiving the shotgun, PM'd the seller and he offered to pay for the repair, which he did no questions asked and no hard feelings.

Last edited by horse1; 02/27/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sometimes the feedback will motivate them to fix it.
If the feedback can be removed after...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Hmmmm

Last edited by DrDeath; 02/27/21.
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TF49

I think he should of gotten his rifle back 1st.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JamesJr
If I sold somebody something, a total stranger, and they wanted a refund, they'd have to return the item to me first. You won't walk into a store and demand a refund on an item you bought, and tell them to give you your money back and then you'll bring the item back to them.

This.

When I was an active eBay seller, I resolved all disputes this way. I even offered to pay shipping. One guy always found something wrong. In the end, he decided to keep the items when he realized he couldn’t keep them at a discount.
I finally blocked him as a purchaser.
One advantage I had was that I never lied about the condition of the item.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I don’t think a seller can lie when he sends a bunch of pics at every angle. In good lighting. What one person considers 95% another will
Consider 86-90%!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You buy sight unseen you are throwing the dice. Unless it was legitimate fraud or misrepresentation, I think that's the risk a buyer takes. I bought a car out of state based off photos, sometimes you take a leap of faith and it works out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.