Print Thread
Hop To
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Car and van arrived last Tuesday. We flew in Wednesday. Tested negative Thursday. Vaccinated Friday. Moved all in and settled. Lined up a slip yesterday. So far so good !

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
On a roll!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Happy Birthday, Uncas! Welcome home Kurt

Last edited by kk alaska; 02/24/21.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Congrats! Welcome back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There was a disturbance in the force, it is now explained. Welcome back.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I left a half a century ago......Has it changed any?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Happy for you. Wife and I been kicking around the idea of buying a house on the Kenai or close to Sitka and going back to spend summers there. But then I need to buy a boat or two. We lived in Alaska for 35 years and our son was born and raised there and he goes back every year to fish. He tells me its a different Alaska and I wouldnt enjoy it.
Just unsure if we want the expense of another house.

Where is your slip at?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Ten years in Eagle River. Four outside (Iowa and Kansas).
Nine in Juneau.
Five years in Oregon in time to see the Columbia salmon fishery crash...even the much talked about Walleye fishery was a joke.
Enough! Friendly SE fishing village of great folks.

'Started the one year nonresident penalty box at least an NR AK license is less than an Oregon licence, tags, fees, parking permits and harvest tickets!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I had to live in Kansas for four years.

No, not Leavenworth.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Can't see Kansas bid , but I'll raise you two in Denver. It was agreed among some of us that there was nothing wrong with Denver then (late 70's that a small Nuke wouldn't fix. Waaaaay worse now.

But Nukes come in all sizes, don't they? Just drop one every few miles from Ft Collins to Co Springs.... fixt!

I came to AK in 1968. A year and half later I went back Outside for 6 weeks. When the plane dropped out of the clouds over Indian and I looked down at the trails I'd sheep hunted along, I knew where home was. It took at least 6 weeks to force that silly grin off my face. smile

8 years later I finally went out of state again.

Last edited by las; 02/26/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Last edited by AGL4now; 02/26/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
About Kansas...My wife did a one tear internship based in Ellis. Fridays found us traveling everywhere we could go in a full day. Unless you own cattle land or work in the oil industry jobs are hard to come by especially with a year time frame.So I thought I could buy a small house take a year to fix and flip it. Did so...almost bought a 2 bed attached single garage on 4 lots with a barn garage chicken coop wood building out back. The seller was finishing her training as a nurse in Denver. I paid her full asking price. She was to be married after graduation.Her future husband is a garage shop owner. I had a CJ7 '84 at the time that was for sale....The owner needed to pay college debt and help her daughter with her college debt.

No, did not trade the Jeep for the House....but it was briefly talked about.Shortly thereafter Ed and High school friend Dave helped with the plumbing and electrical upgrades. They each kicked in a third so we have been killing big deer and lots of Bob Whites...some years are easy 4 rooster limits sometimes we struggle. We have outlived two pointing dogs. A friend brings his young GWP about every other Fall or so.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Kansas is full of stuff to see and do, unless Las Vegas type entertainment is your cup of tea.
Once you are around a little asking permission to hunt is very easy to do unless you are looking to lease.
Once a landowner knows you are decent and careful...they might ask if "maybe you could kill all the deer in that big Winter Wheat field three sections back in the corner"

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm thinking you better get after it Uncas

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How is the avalanche situation in Jtown?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image from 3um88b32jzg41py2lr3fg1uh-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The article in MRAK makes it sound potentially devastating. Y’all be careful down there.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They are saying there could be avalances of historic proportions tonite and into tomorrow. Supposed to get 1-2" of rain down low. Wouldn't surprise me if the main transmissions lines from the Snettisham power plant get taken out. They are telling some folks downtown below Mt. Juneau that they should evacuate. If we had a 5.0 EQ it would trigger a few.

https://www.juneauempire.com/news/juneau-area-at-high-risk-for-historic-avalanches/

I was up on the ski hill yesterday and they opened the West Bowl where the picture above was taken. I skied thru some of the runout debris. Death Cookies +P

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Thankfully not in J Town any longer. Live across from The Elephant's Nose now!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

140 members (280ACKIMP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 15 invisible), 1,290 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,517
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.