Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm in Benton County, in the mid Willamette Valley. This pic, which I've shared here before, is from within city limits, taken from a back balcony. Cats seen within city limits is not unusual.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I've since heard this one came from somewhere else than the subheading but wow what a cat.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That’s a big lion but nowhere near 350 lbs.

A guess is around 200 lbs.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Seafire

as far as size and strength of a cougar.... I spent several nights with a friend on someone's farm, who had a cougar killing animals on the farm at night and dragging them away to eat later..... we found a 400 pound llama 40 to 50 feet up a tree, dead.... two nights later, another group shot the cougar, that was hassling the farm... it weighed 110 lbs....and Fish and Game said it was probably the one that drug that 400 pound llama 40 feet or more up a tree....

as the old commercial from the 70s said... It's not nice to fool mother nature....

In the 80’s I could afford to “semi retire” during the winter and worked on cougar study on the Uncompahgre Plateau. One of our collared females—at 126 lbs the heaviest female on the study—climbed a 8 ft chain link fence, killed a full grown “prize” lama stud, dragged it back over the fence and stashed it about 6 ft up in a pinion tree. Boggled my mind......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I've since heard this one came from somewhere else than the subheading but wow what a cat.

That’s a big lion but nowhere near 350 lbs.

A guess is around 200 lbs.

And a 200 lb cat is a really, really big one.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Great picture Longarm !!

John and Alpinecrick great stories - thanks ! That's some crazy strength for a cat to drag something 4x it's size/weight up a tree . Imagine a 200lb. man being able to climb a tree or high fence with an 800lb. elk in his mouth LOL .

Going to have to read Rainshadows Cougar call in stories haven't read it in several months .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Lonny - yes 200 lbs. is a huge cat - pretty sure that's about what the guy Bill I spoke of said that big tom weighed , maybe a little more . Sure wish I had saved the picture .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Over here is a place called Wildlife Images, that rehab disabled and wounded animals...

they have 4 or so cougars over there.. the biggest weighs 180 lbs...

Our scout troop has done volunteer work over there in the past...

saw a cougar pass leisurely in front of my car once that was only 20 yards or so if front of me...

it was a huge cougar....went over to Wildlife Images the following Monday, and asked to go look at the cougars,
which they said fine... recognizing me from being with Scouts..

I looked at the 180 lb cat.... the one that crossed in front of me that Saturday, was MUCH larger...

There are some big cats out there.....

10 to 15 years ago, IIRC... Oregon F&W was saying there were 2500 to 3000 cougars in Josephine County, which is around the size of Rhode Island with a population
of just short of 100,000 people.....

but the same crowd said there were no wolves in Josephine County, and the same year I saw 7 or 8 of them in various locales....

so who knows, consider the state is ran by democRATS.. good chance they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

That shop looks like Eels... over by where you live Roy...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.