Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[quote=TimberRunner

New turbos? Ford has had the ecoboost for 10 or 11 model years now. Plenty of history. The numbers look good cause they are. [/quote]

So they've "upgraded" no less than five times in ten years and that's solid performance in your eyes?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is easier towing with a 3/4 ton and even easier with a diesel..... I like easy smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot depends on the type of terrain. I would guess your locale isn’t exactly mountainous, so bottom end torque and big brakes with an exhaust brake isn’t that critical. You should do ok with the Tundra.

If you were towing regularly through North Ga into Tennessee and thereabouts, I would opt for a 3/4 ton diesel.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Georgia interstates? Give me the biggest brakes available.

That Ford 6.7 diesel will stroll.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BigNate
[quote=TimberRunner

New turbos? Ford has had the ecoboost for 10 or 11 model years now. Plenty of history. The numbers look good cause they are.

So they've "upgraded" no less than five times in ten years and that's solid performance in your eyes?
[/quote]

Upgraded? The new gen motor in 2017 and improved fuel injection? Seems like over a decade, those are reasonable moves.

There's millions of them on the road, and if they were anything but a success, do think the most popular vehicle in the country would still have them?

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Towing 7500# isn't a lot to tow! But what are you going to haul in the bed. With my bed full of camp gear, two 4wheelers on the above bed rack, then 7500# towed. I'll take a diesel. Thats how I roll, went from gas to diesel years ago, won't go back to a half ton gas. The ecoboost Fords fall on their face trying to keep up towing in the mountains, diesels rule that area! It doesn't matter what manufacturer!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I tow about #7000 almost every weekend 550 miles round trip through mountain passes. With 98 F150 4.6, got 9 mpg towing, screaming at 5500 rpm a lot of the time. 2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost, 13 mpg towing, mostly at less than 2400 rpm. 2020 F150 3.5 Ecoboost, 14 mpg towing (also 10 speed), rarely over 2200 RPM.

Put 268K miles on the 98 4.6, 69K on the 2016 2.7, and so far, 8K on the 2020 3.5.

I'm not afraid of the new fangled turboed V-6's... they make millions of them FFS. (BTW I only sold the 2016 2.7 because my buddy had a good year commercial fishing, and wanted to buy it from me for 5K over NADA)

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
7500 lbs is not all that heavy but it’s the frequently part that made me select a Super Duty for the OP . If you got a Tundra 5.7 geared for towing , a trailer with breaks on one axle (two would be better ) , and put a brake controller on the truck you’d be ok most likely

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’m the original poster, my tandem axle trailer does have electric brakes on it. Came with brakes on one axle when I bought it used. I added brakes to the 2nd axle so now they are on both. I have a Tekonsha brake controller wired in. The Tundra pulls it fine, it does squat a bit though.

Mark in GA

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MarkinGA
I’m the original poster, my tandem axle trailer does have electric brakes on it. Came with brakes on one axle when I bought it used. I added brakes to the 2nd axle so now they are on both. I have a Tekonsha brake controller wired in. The Tundra pulls it fine, it does squat a bit though.

Mark in GA

FWIW, I had a Tenkonsha in the old 98 F-150. It was better that any brake controller I had used up until that point.

The newer F-150's have a build in brake controller that leaves the Tekonsha in the dust... you litterally can't tell the difference between you're truck's brake pressure and the trailer's.. it's all in perfect harmony.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey guys, I am currently running a 2WD 2012 Toyota Tundra w/ the 5.7L V-8. I am considering upgrading my truck to a newer model and I plan to get 4WD this time. I fairly regularly tow my 20 ft equipment-style tandem axle trailer and 32 hp tractor w/ attachments. My Tundra does pretty decent pulling this load and its well within its rated capacity. Still if I end up getting something else, I’m considering a newer Tundra (which mechanically is the same as what I have) and also wondering whether I should consider a 3/4 ton. I don’t really think I need a diesel, so would likely get a gasser 3/4 if I went that way. I’m kind of afraid of all the hyped up Turbo V6 stuff out there and I want something reliable. My Tundra has been nigh on bulletproof for example.

Top contenders are the following:

2019 or newer Toyota Tundra w/ 5.7L 4WD
Ford F-250 w/ 6.2L 4WD
Ford F-250 w/ 7.3L 4WD

Don’t care for Ram, and feel like GM sold their soul under Obama.

Thoughts, Advice?

Mark in GA

For the record, GM, Chrysler and Ford were all bailed out in 2009 along with 984 other companies. I don't know why everyone only talks about GM while using a credit card company that was likely bailed out as well...
As far as towing, I've done a lot of it and I wouldn't recommend regularly towing anything that weighs more than the tow vehicle with less than a 3/4 ton truck. It isn't all about the power.... 3/4 tons have stiff suspension so the trailer doesn't push you around in the bends. That suspension also helps to prevent the trailer from swaying. Bigger brakes help you stop. The heavier tranny helps hold you back and it doesn't get abused doing it. 10 ply tires last longer under the weight too. The engine won't break a sweat running up the hills in GA either. Why make a 1/2 work it's azz off when you can get a 3/4 ton to just cruise along???

Good luck with your decision!

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
For what you mentioned, a 6.2L F-250 sounds like a perfect fit and is one helluva combo If you want to keep your cost down but still have a nice looking rig, check out Ford's "STX" trim. If you're ok with spending some $$ and like to ride in style, the Lariat is one of my favorite options. The Platinum and Limited are great trucks if $$ is not an issue (love the massaging seats) but way to pricey for my $$. That being said, if you're ok with buying a truck that's a couple years old with low miles, you can save a lot of money and still end up with a truck that you can enjoy for a LONG time!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by K1500
Whatever you get, get a 3/4 ton. It isn’t about the power so much as the stopping ability and trailer control.

I don't agree that you need a 3/4 ton to tow 8,000 lbs., but I do agree that you need something with heavy-duty brakes, otherwise they wear too fast.

A diesel with an exhaust brake is the shizzle....

Fubar, Is that a factory option or strictly an aftermarket mod?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW most folks run out of payload *far* before they run out of ‘tow’ weight. Take a 2020 4x4 Tundra SR5 DC 6.5’ bed. Door jamb sticker says 1,320 pounds of payload (factory says 1,500, but they weigh every truck and put the actual cargo capacity on the door jam). That’s with a 150 pound driver in the truck. Do you weigh 150 pounds? Are you going to have anything (people, cargo, etc) in the truck?

You are supposed to have 10-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. So, a 7,000 pound trailer eats up about 1,000 pounds of your 1,320 pound payload in this particular tundra. Throw in a passenger and a ‘normal’ weight driver and you are overweight before you put a single thing in the truck. All the 1/2 ton drivers on here will brag about how much they can tow by looking at the factory claims, which are based on a 2WD base model and ignore making the GVWR work with your trailer. And you can’t fix the problem with air bags or helper springs.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I drive an F250 with the 6.2. It’s about as much a no fuss, just a truck kind of truck as you can buy these days. It doesn’t get fantastic mileage, 15 on the highway unloaded and 10-12 pulling a trailer. It rides like a 3/4 ton but not nearly as rough as my old single wheel f350. It doesn’t have an exhaust brake or turbo and doesn’t make 1000lb ft of torque since it isn’t a diesel.

But it has the brakes and springs to handle anything I want or need to pull. Oil changes are about $35 if you catch the oil on sale at NAPA. And even though it doesn’t have the sack of the modern Diesel engines it still pulls better than anything we had available 20 years ago. Plus it’s a proven and nearly bulletproof setup.

The main reason for my ordering one was the chat I had with the lead mechanic at work. We have a fleet of 4x4 3/4 and 1 tons with 6.2s. Over the years they’ve tried gas and diesel trucks from all the big 3. His claim was that the 6.2/6sp combo in the super duty was absolutely hands down the most reliable setup he’d ever seen, and he’s a GM guy.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Toyota Tundra with the 5.6L engine and tow package have a 3/4 town Dana rear end just like American 3/4 tons. They also have bigger brakes

than even some American 3/4 Tons. The towing packages gets you a bigger radiator and a lower rear axle. 4:30 to 1. it is a real stump puller

But Trans has 2 overdrive gears, it is also heavy duty. Like everone said fuel economy is not the strong point. They are made for work. Mine tows

my 27 Ft Artic Fox trailer good. It weighs about 8500 Lb loaded.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not needing a diesel doesn’t mean you can’t run a diesel. Most of my towing is just a bass boat and a 8,000 lb camper but I never wish I had a gasser. I vote new Powerstroke

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If your looking for a F 250 with the 7.3 start looking now. My brother has been on the hunt for one for a couple months now. Extremely limited inventory. Hearing production is at a indefinite halt or the 2021 run is done and all inventory is at dealers already.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it were me, I'd get a 1978 Ford F250, chuck the stock 400, and swap a built 5.9, 12-valve Cummins into it - either that or a 521 Stroker. A helluva lot cheaper than a new Ford truck. 'course if I go with the 521, the fuel costs would wipe out any any savings between the 521 and a new Ford truck in about a week.

Last edited by High_Noon; 02/28/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hey guys, I am currently running a 2WD 2012 Toyota Tundra w/ the 5.7L V-8. I am considering upgrading my truck to a newer model and I plan to get 4WD this time. I fairly regularly tow my 20 ft equipment-style tandem axle trailer and 32 hp tractor w/ attachments. My Tundra does pretty decent pulling this load and its well within its rated capacity. Still if I end up getting something else, I’m considering a newer Tundra (which mechanically is the same as what I have) and also wondering whether I should consider a 3/4 ton. I don’t really think I need a diesel, so would likely get a gasser 3/4 if I went that way. I’m kind of afraid of all the hyped up Turbo V6 stuff out there and I want something reliable. My Tundra has been nigh on bulletproof for example.

Top contenders are the following:

2019 or newer Toyota Tundra w/ 5.7L 4WD
Ford F-250 w/ 6.2L 4WD
Ford F-250 w/ 7.3L 4WD

Don’t care for Ram, and feel like GM sold their soul under Obama.

Thoughts, Advice?

Mark in GA

All things considered, the F250 with the 6.2 seems about perfect for you. Maybe a 7.3 gasser on your next purchase many years from now.

Like many people have mentioned already, you need more than just a good engine to make a good puller. From tires on up.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.