Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Here in the Pacific Northwest clam chowder is almost considered the national dish. Here is my prize winning recipe: Steamer clams, lots of steamer clams, Just steam up a 5 gallon bucket of the little morcels, what you don't eat hot out of the steamer you use for chowder, at least two cups of clam meat, sometimes it takes more than a fiver to get that many fresh steamers, depends on the kitchen help. Peal three to five pounds of Netted Jem spuds, yes variety makes a difference. Cut spuds up into 1/2" cubes, bigger is ok if you are lazy, slice up one stalk of celery into very small bits nothing larger than 1/8". Fry up four slices of real bacon, none of that lite salt type, but first cut the bacon into small chunks kinda like the celery, fry crispy. drain off the fat and discard, the fat not the bacon, the fats bad for you. now chop up a medium white onion, if the onions are strong use a small one. Size slices to about 1/2" square. saute in pan that bacon was fried in, I did not say wipe the pan out just remove the fat. onions are cooked just until they slightly brown, get them out of the pan now!
<br> When you steamed all those clams there was a lot of juice and water left, nectar, hang on to that liquid for just a little bit longer, Place add all but the liquid to a stock pot make sure you have a couple inches of free board to the rim. Now dump in the nectar just covering the solids add tap water if you need to, bring to boil and turn down to simmer for at least three hours. Longer is always better[Linked Image]. Add ground black pepper to taste, I like plenty. now the finish. One quart of Half n Half is added to the pot, I didn't say this was health food, now grind up 10-20 Saltine crackers to a fine powder and stir into "Hot" chowder stir briskly to thicken, drop in a half cube more or less of "Real Butter" Notice no salt was added there is plenty in the butter, bacon and crackers, This is when you salt to taste. Remove from heat let rest 5-10 min. It's real hot now. Cool chowder enough to eat it should be nice and thick and it's always better when warmed up the next day.
<br>For you land locked folks just use big cans of Gordens clams and the liquid they came in . And for the sake of all that is holy do not add corn...
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aw man that sounds good. My recipe is pretty close to yours but came from New England.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bullwnkle, copied and pasted your recipe.
<br>two of my favorite dishes are Clam Chowder, and Chicken & Dumplings. I was just thinking the other day about trying to combine the two. And coming up with a Chowder & Dumplings. Don't know when I'll get around to it, but with the cold weather it sounds good to me.
<br>
<br>Phil

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hey Gray Dude, how about chowder and dumplings with the dumplings made of flour and potato flour or dehydrated mashed (boxed mashed spuds) throw in a bit of wasabi powder or paste for a small bite and flavor, Think I'll give it a go. Thanks for the Idea.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Boggy I think most of the chowder recipes around here originated in the Norteast. What makes mine just a little different is that I live on the Puget Sound not Boston Harbor. I use whole clams or a large clam known as a Geoduck, have also used horseclams another large clam.With these big clams the stomach is removed and the rest is ground. Razor clams from the coast make great chowder but who would be foolish enough to waste these wonderfull clams on chowder, I even like them raw.
<br>Raw fresh seafood is quite good, Octopus sucker is better than chewing gum and lasts almost as long.
<br>good eats
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.
<br>
<br>

Business as usual
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Best I have had is Dukes. Recipe can be googled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Cant say im a fan of dukes. In fact I would avoid the chain.

Good chowder to me is all about the stock, the nectar...lots of clam, some salty smokey pork, potatoes, onion and celery. Heavy cream should just bring it together.

New England's favorites get to close to paste.... You shouldn't need flour. If it can hang wall paper then it ain't great.

Love a good Manhattan chowder. Done well, it's amazing.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 38 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.