Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For your utter amusement, I am one can short of a full pantry... grin

5.56. This upper, I just put together, shown with a lower (Anderson + CMMG, standard carbine buffer and spring, Ergo grip, US Made strap via Blue Collar Tactical via Amazon) from previous adventures along with a new BCM SOPMOD stock (BOMBER solid stuff). Upper is based on a nitride SOLGW 1in7" 16" barrel, mid-gas, with fixed gas block for now via YHM, NBS upper from AR15Discount, Toolcraft phosphate BCG, MWI handguard. Only Chinky parts are the Primary Arms 3X prism and the sling hardware. Uber Silencerco Omega. Geebus 8lb 10oz unloaded suppressed as shown, but, feels well-balanced. Sight moved back about an inch and a half since the pics. Vertical grip in the works. Having this now completed, I question the NEED for the next two builds in the works, 18" and 20" . LOL
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This was more fully purpose built from the start. Have no idea the cost I have a PSA 10.5" pistol build (was $389 plus the stripped lower in 2019!) and wanted another pistol build, with some gooder parts, for optics, and night use. Yes, I heard lights are the bomb.

5.56 based on an 11.5" QPQ nitride Ballistic Advantage 1in7" barrel, carbine gas, Aim Sports (supposedly now US Made) 10" handguard, Seekins AGB, Larue clips, uber Aero melonite gas tube, an NBS upper from AR15Discount which seems flawless, Anderson lower, SOLGW Blaster lwr parts kit, TEMPORARY second hand trigger (needs something, supposed to be 2-stage, but seems wonky, will be a single later), NBS carbine buffer tube, Sprinco blue recoil spring, H3? buffer (have a couple more weights to try, for full power 556 loads suppressed), Aero forward assist and port cover, Expo charging handle with an added extended latch from another company, Expo billet trigger guard (LOL like that is necessary), Ergo grip, mag shown is a Classic Arms US made unit, new on the market/untested, Toolcraft phosphate BCG, new Eotech 512, Chinky offset fixed iron sights, Chinky sling hardware on front, US made sling by Blue Collar Tactical, Shockwave M2 Blade. I used up some aged coatings on hand. Cerakote H FDE on the receivers and handguard and the other tan in Duracoat Tactical Flat FDE (lightly coated as the black shows thru). My uber Silencerco Omega. 7lb 15oz, unloaded as shown suppressed. I dig it. Oh, kudos to anyone that can put one together with zero nicks or scratches, LOL.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 02/27/21.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
ARIC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Those ergo grips are hard to beat for shooting comfort.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I really like them. Midway had a sale a few months ago and I got several @ about $18. Have no desire to use plastic again.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking good. I like the ergo grip too. I have one on my Colt A2 sporter target model. Its not factory, but its comfortable..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Very nice builds.
You invested where it matters, and saved money where it made sense.
Hope you can get some range time with them.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are the tritium sights going on?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Very nice builds.

I like how you worded that. We know "parts is parts", but some parts are more critical than others. Handguards for example. Give me a good American made handguard for $60.00 and those other manufacture's wanting $300+, can keep theirs... When one part works just as well as another, but it's less than 1/2 (or even 1/4 in some cases) the cost, its a no brainer to use the less expensive part.. That goes for buying stuff when it's on sale too. Like those grips. I've seen similar sales on one of my favorite grips a while back and bought a couple K2+ for $20.00 each.. Keeping an eye on "deals of the day" and bargain bins helps.... Like the lady across the river, at the LGS, tells me lately, "even cheap anderson and PSA home builds are bringing $1,000.00+ these days". She can't keep them in stock.. I needed a rifle length gas tube for my new barrel, so I went down to my LGS and bought a low profile gas block with a tube already installed. $29.95, and I'll bet it's going to work just fine... I bought a spare RL gas tube for $9.95. I thought I had an extra/spare, but I think I let it go with the last barrel I sold to a member here...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
What are the tritium sights going on?

Fine, be THAT guy. LOL Likely on the pistol build, once I settle for sure on the front sight, just the front sight. Besides, I'm not buying any more....

AA, That was the intent, applying what I've seen (learned), and using what I have ($$) and being selective about getting what I could actually find, while aiming towards reducing the likelihood of failures, regardless if I need to go 15000 rounds or not... Thanks for the continued input. Looking forward to blasting with them.

I finally also ordered some spare parts.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 02/27/21.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice builds.

It's funny. As I looked through the parts lists, I noticed a lot of pieces that I have on my guns. Proving yet again that parts is parts.. when the parts are the good parts. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Very nice builds.

It's funny. As I looked through the parts lists, I noticed a lot of pieces that I have on my guns. Proving yet again that parts is parts.. when the parts are the good parts. smile

Hey Hey, another black rifle. Realized I had the parts for this upper too.

556 20" FN 1in7" rifle gas, fairly light contour in back, YHM GB ($13), melonite tube, 15" Guntec ultralight handguard, Toolcraft phosphate BCG, slick side NBS billet upper (AR15 Discount), no FA, no port cover as of now, STOLEN charging handle from another gun, Chinky sights, Already had the lower, Anderson, PSA EPT kit, Ergo grip, Magpul MOE SLK, Standard carbine buffer and spring. Simple. Might scope this one.

Notes: I thought a billet upper would be COOL but it was a pain in the ass. Only one of three hanguards was compatible at the anti-rotation lugs and it did not fit my vise block for chit. Guntec handguard, nice kit for $80, references say special wrench needed, LOL, adjustable wrench fit fine. Balance is real nice as shown. About 7 pounds. FN barrel was not dimpled and I added four, two extras on top. Dohhhh! It passed the BSA blow test. grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
And, got the Grendel ready to roll. I made this butt spacer to get a useable LOP of 12-1/2". Note to self, 11" is not ok. I bought this upper used a few months ago... Had the lower.... Mounted up my Chinky Primary Arms 1-4 scope and dang it seems a great fit. Friendly eyebox, simple dot and duplex etched reticle. Might do a dialing scope here, but might not. YHM handrail is the burliest I have seen. It's like 1/8" thick. Heavy. Black Hole Weaponary barrel that I don't know what to expect from. Heavy SOB... ACE Entry stock is fairly retarded. The whole backend relies upon a #12 machine screw threaded into butter soft aluminum of the special buffer tube to hold everything together. A BS design IMO. Take a pass on that.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 02/28/21.

--- Kid Rock 2022

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Blackhole Weaponry barrel should be a shooter, my 556 1:8 phosphated stainless is.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good to hear. Seems I did a quick search before taking it that gave me the impression it should be good stuff.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
583 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.