Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Try em Mark, you’ll shiit... no shiit..

I’ve packed both hinds, cut right in front of the pelvis, together straddling my neck without a pack more than once, while my pard had both fronts with tenderloins and backstraps more than once.. yes I’d love to be in that shape again, suffice it to say, loggers live on bull meat,

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That God damn brush you coastal boys deal with is enough to make a guy go insane, without a load of elk meat.

I have elk hunted areas as steep but that damn brush is something else. I did a blacktail hunt a lot of years ago near Forks, then chased bobcat hounds for a few days. I couldn't get back to Idaho/Montana fast enough. Then there's Afognak Island. Between the bears, bugs, brush and rain, that place will test your mental abilities like no other place I have been.

Killing elk there was easy. Getting them back to camp.....ya......there is a reason only half of those who draw a tag even attempt the hunt, and only 4-5 rosies are killed per area per year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steep is steep pretty much everywhere, and it’s always a cross between a party and a nightmare.

Like you said T, the coast, and I would imagine the same with Afognak, It’s the fricken ankle to waist high, undergrowth snares, that will wreck some guys from ever wanting to do it again...

Add in sizable carnivores that inhabit the AK. island ; it would make a dude feel like he’s packing out a refrigerator with a sign saying *Bear Food - Come and Get It*

LOL

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jud,

Where did you get your Danners soled? Assume any boot repair shop could do it?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Folks think, blacktail hunters especially, think all ground is created equal... southern Oregon, all of California isn’t even worth talking about...

#madsens is where it’s at

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Folks think, blacktail hunters especially, think all ground is created equal... southern Oregon, all of California isn’t even worth talking about...

#madsens is where it’s at

I would bitch a lot less if our hunting ground looked more like Southern Oregon’s.

#Jealous

😬🦫

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There’s a reason there no outfitters in nw Oregon or western wa... they’d go broke...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know a guy that guides for rosies somewhere on the Olympic Peninsula: the same guy I hunted with there years ago. He usually looks really tired and wet in his elk pics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
the fricken ankle to waist high, undergrowth snares, that will wreck some guys from ever wanting to do it again...

Add in sizable carnivores that inhabit the AK. island ; it would make a dude feel like he’s packing out a refrigerator with a sign saying *Bear Food - Come and Get It*

LOL

Ya....that's one way to put it. Those undergrowth snares are there on Afognak, as well as lots of devil's club...but my main gripes about the brush was that it looked fairly short but ended up being way over your head, and if you think you're going to dig into it and find a way to the other side to avoid a 1/2 mile hike around a stand of it, you're wrong. Then you get to find your way back out of the jungle and take the long way around. That, and you're constantly wet from the brush/grass and either being eaten by bugs or getting pissed on. Constantly.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That does not sound like a lot of fun.

Going to have to see the PNW sometime.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
the fricken ankle to waist high, undergrowth snares, that will wreck some guys from ever wanting to do it again...

LOL

Ya....that's one way to put it. Those undergrowth snares are there on Afognak, as well as lots of devil's club...but my main gripes about the brush was that it looked fairly short but ended up being way over your head, and if you think you're going to dig into it and find a way to the other side to avoid a 1/2 mile hike around a stand of it, you're wrong. Then you get to find your way back out of the jungle and take the long way around. That, and you're constantly wet from the brush/grass and either being eaten by bugs or getting pissed on. Constantly.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
That does not sound like a lot of fun.

Going to have to see the PNW sometime.

Originally Posted by T_Inman

LOL

It builds character.

I came back looking like I was in Auschwitz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was judman your guard there?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This year I had an entourage of 3. 1-38 1-26 1-19 we boned it out and loaded 2 frame packs and took turns carrying them down the steep 3/4miles to the highway next time will use at least 3 packs

Last edited by 16penny; 03/01/21.

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Was judman your guard there?

That son of a......

I knew I recognized that baby face from somewhere.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Behind a gate, it’s gotta be quartered either way, might as well do it in the brush. Server have been done in 1 trip, by 2 guys, but I’m not in that kinda shape anymore... thank god the boy Is though!! 😂😂😂

Yeah, I've neve understood the desire to bring out an elk whole. Even if I can drive the ATV or the M-38 to the critter I quarter them on the spot--makes it a LOT easier to load.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Behind a gate, it’s gotta be quartered either way, might as well do it in the brush. Server have been done in 1 trip, by 2 guys, but I’m not in that kinda shape anymore... thank god the boy Is though!! 😂😂😂

Yeah, I've neve understood the desire to bring out an elk whole. Even if I can drive the ATV or the M-38 to the critter I quarter them on the spot--makes it a LOT easier to load.......

Oh schit, the bone sour and cold shortening crowd is on their way.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This year I had help from 3) under 20's. Along with my 52 yr old carcass. Took the whole thing out in one trip. He was all skinned, quartered and put in game bags (pillow cases). Must say it was nice to have help. My last 3 or 4 bull have been solo pack outs.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
From what I’ve seen if the current crop of young guys, you’d be better off with one relatively fit old guy who understands the concept, “ this elk ain’t gonna pack itself out.”

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by Brad
I'll be 60 in June. I'm 5'10" tall and 150 (or a bit less) pounds. I can still pack out an elk from anywhere even if I don't like it.
I eat a whole food, low inflammation, plant based diet.
I work out for what I call "lean strength" with an emphasis on cardio/stair climbing and push ups/pull ups added (an Arabian will bury a Quarter Horse in the mountains).
Mental toughness can't be taught.
Desire can't be taught.
Some aspects of endurance are just genetic gifts. I have many of these gifts in spades. I realize they are gifts.
I haven't had anyone help me pack out an elk in 21 years. All mine come out miles-in from public ground, and unfortunately sometimes from super-steep, blow-down ridden hellholes. I don't like those spots.
Last bull I packed out was when I was 55 from one such hell hole. Took 3 trips. I can still carry 80+ lbs, but don't like it one bit.
I missed last season due to Covid (first missed hunting season in 33 years).
I passed on a number of lesser bulls since my last 6x6 kill in 2016. I'm happy not to punch a tag.
I'm likely not the toughest or smartest elk hunter.
I'm not a meat hunter (though as far as red meat goes, elk is as good as it gets). I hunt for the best, oldest specimen in a given area I can find. If I can't find that type animal I don't pull the trigger.
A couple key guys in my life really gave me some helpful bits of information that helped me early on... I've tried to pay that forward to a couple guys I think deserve the information.

Couple rambling thought's...

Good post, but the bolded point is debatable. I think I've taught it to my boys.

I also think every Marine from my Boot Camp platoon would think otherwise.

I agree with Brad, mental and physical toughness can’t be taught, either you got it, or ya don’t.

I’d 3rd that.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mart
From what I’ve seen if the current crop of young guys, you’d be better off with one relatively fit old guy who understands the concept, “ this elk ain’t gonna pack itself out.”

Was very fortunate with the 3 young guys that I was with. Would put them up against anybody. I agree, they are exceptions, but it sure is nice to know that there still are some good kids out there.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,246
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.