-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I already have one of these, but this one was too nice to pass up. It's a Valmet BBF 12/222 in super condition. The bores are perfect, the bluing 99%, and the wood has only two minor nicks on the bottom edge of the butt stock.

I had a set of Leupold medium mounts for a Sako and stuck a 4X33 P&CH "junk" scope I took off a Husqvarna FN 98 in 8X57 I had to buy. blush The scope is Japanese, branded only with a "V" on a cap, but it is crystal clear, and the clicks mean 1/4" at 100 every click, plus it holds zero. I shot some 12ga ammo through the gun to see what the scope would do.

Over the hood of the Jeep YJ I shot two ea three shot groups at 100 yards, both were 1". I used Fiocchi 50gr Z-Max ammo, good factory boooolets for this little combo. I'll try some Remington 2 3/4" reduced recoil slugs in it as soon as I find where the hll I stashed them.

I'm going to work up a load for this and the other one, using 64gr Nosler Bonded bullets. They have stubby noses that should help stabilize them and be good deer killers.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice Buddy!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice Bruce! Looking forward to future reports on this combo gun.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bruce, you may remember that I have the brother of your new pet (except mine is prettier!). I kept it when I downsized my "collection" and traded you my .308/12 ga for a Savage single shot. So far I've recently only had the opportunity to use it for small varmints and quail (but I carry 12 ga slugs in case I run across a wild piggie). Hope you have as much fun with it as I have had with mine. The rifle barrels on these Valmet combos are dead nuts accurate!

I make bismuth #7 "spreader" loads for the 12 for quail hunting--don't want to alter the Finnish choke.

Last edited by Mesa; 02/26/21.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mesa
Bruce, you may remember that I have the brother of your new pet (except mine is prettier!). I kept it when I downsized my "collection" and traded you my .308/12 ga for a Savage single shot. So far I've recently only had the opportunity to use it for small varmints and quail (but I carry 12 ga slugs in case I run across a wild piggie). Hope you have as much fun with it as I have had with mine. The rifle barrels on these Valmet combos are dead nuts accurate!

I make bismuth #7 "spreader" loads for the 12 for quail hunting--don't want to alter the Finnish choke.

I sure do remember! I love the 2400 and won't part with it. The stock is too nice to bugger up, so I put the barrels on a pre-buggered stock/receiver when I go hunting in rough country. I topped it with a 2.5-8 Loopy VXIII. You and I have done a few good deals, and I was always happy with the outcome. wink

My grandson took a nice mulie buck with it, using rifled slugs on a NV ranch in a valley where slugs are mandatory on cultivated lands.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
very nice rifle ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful rifle, Bruce!

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Pete and Jim.

It shoots better than it looks, too. They might be a little heavy, but these Valmets shoot very well.

The 12/222 is exceeding my expectations, which were pretty high.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Trust you to hunt with class.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.