Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I've been wearing some old lacrosse pac boots. I've had them a long time and I needed to upgrade. I bought a pair of lacrosse 2000 gram extreme pac boots. No removable liner with these. I tried them out this afternoon squirrel hunting. It was 21 degrees out. No problem, my feet stayed nice and warm.

Whoa. 21 degrees I'm still wearing uninsulated boots and wool socks. Over-booting is not Bueno either. Your feet get hot, sweat, then get cold.

For treestand hunting I have some 800gr insulated Irish Setters. If it's normal deer hunting temps I'm good to go all day. If it's highs in single digits, I'll go with the pack boots. They're just too clunky to walk around in much at all.

Last edited by tzone; 02/15/21.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
Can only afford one pair of pac boots. LaCrosse Iceman. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I would agree with ya.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will be of little help other than to say "the numbers don't mean much".

My 1400 gram (?) Rocky's were starting to come apart, and my age and pre-diabetus starting to effect how cold my feet got. I went a little spend crazy and bought a pair of Zamberlan Smilidon's for warmer and still hunting, and a pair of Hoffman double insulated Mountaineers for sitting and deep snow. (felt liner plus 200 grams of thinsulate) I spent more on these two pair of boots than I probably did on all the hunting boots I've bought in the last 30 years combined. lol

Well the crazy priced Zamberlans, which are supposed to be 400 grams of insulation, are much warmer than my 1400 gram Rockys. And they seem to be just as warm as the Hoffman's honestly at a fraction of the weight (but twice the price). The only negatives for me after two years, other than the price and the odd color, is the leather does start to hold water after several days in the snow. (which is not unexpected) And of course they're only ankle high, so not the best for deep snow.

Main point being, don't put much stock in the manufacturers insulation numbers.

And advice is worth what you pay for it, no two people are the same. I work with a guy who can sit all day in a tree stand with un-insulated work boots and regular socks and his feet never get cold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cas6969 touched on circulation and how toned and in shape you are has a lot to do with your extremities staying warm. My Caribou Sorel's have been good for sitting, but as mentioned, I don't like to walk very far in them. Muck Arctic Pro boots have been good if you get them in a larger size than you think feel right in the store. I put a 1/4" thick felt liner in mine as well. I've thought about those white Bunny Boots because I see those Alaska Mountain Men guys on TV wearing them all the time. Probably not a good idea wearing white things during our whitetail deer season though.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Iceman is never a wrong choice. I am using Whites elk hunters. 16 inch boots with 9mm felt liners. They are quite good.

The way life should be.
IC B2

IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by roundoak
Can only afford one pair of pac boots. LaCrosse Iceman. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Never found any pac boot that could keep my feet as warm while sitting in a duck blind than the LaCrosse Iceman.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While a bit unorthodox, I've become a fan of the NEOS over boots when it gets very cold. Work exceptionally well sitting on a stand and well enough if much hiking is involved.

https://www.overshoesneos.com/Overshoes_Neos_Navigator_5.html

Last edited by pointer; 02/16/21.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have always had cold feet when sitting in a deer stand. Back when I ran heavy equipment, I wore Sorel pacs. Those felt lined boots didn't work for me as my feet sweat and the felt liner got wet. Vapor barrier socks would have helped, but I didn't know about them at the time. If I'm active, I'm OK, but sitting is a problem.

I just ordered a pair of Irish Setter boots with 1600 grams of Thinsulate and boa cable closures. You twist the knob on the front of the boot to tighten the steel cable "laces". A buddy has them and likes them very much.

I generally like to wear liner socks with a medium weight oversock, assuming the boot has enough room for all that. As I have gotten older and my feet have gotten flatter my boot size has gone from big to Sasquatch. It's hard to get boots big enough to fit my feet plus two pairs of socks.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don’t forget the boot dryers either. What is a warm boot on day one will be a cold boot on day two if you don’t dry them out over night or change out the felt liner every day. When I was walking in a long ways, I liked my uninsulated Danner Grouse boots with one Smartwool sock and then an over boot set out of my pack with even one of those chemical hand warmer packets in each over boot when I got to my stand.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
I've thought about those white Bunny Boots because I see those Alaska Mountain Men guys on TV wearing them all the time. Probably not a good idea wearing white things during our whitetail deer season though.

Are you doing hand stands and cartwheels through the woods?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, but there are ten deer hunters per square mile here on opening day in some parts and some of them are way more trigger happy than they should be. Dad and his buddy bought their own land when one of the guys in camp had a bullet go through rifle butt of his .30-30 up in the Nicolet National Forest. Both he and the fireman from Green Bay who fired the shot never hunted after that. It is the reason that I drove 350 miles across the state to get away from people.

My other auto is a .45

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sorel Glacier and Baffin are both very warm, but Baffin makes some models that are warmer, IME. If sitting on stand, a pair of Bama socks make a big difference.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was Schnees fan for many years, in fact I requested a size 15 shell which they did not carry then (30 years ago or so) and the following year I had my 15's as a packer/guide. I believe their quality went down hill in recent years as the rubber kept failing in only a year or two. I bought a pair of Hoffmans which seem to be quality. I use the Schnees packer in cold weather when I am driving my standard 5 speed as it is easier for me to use the pedals with the pointy toes! I like having extra liners for all my boots, but I have to say that I have a pair of insulated fireman's boots and LaCrosse Alpha Burly's(I think) that work well around the farm in single digit temps for snowblowing and chores!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hoffman’s. Great boots - I’ve got the Thinsulate version. Very well made IMO.

https://hoffmanboots.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs-7D27r27gIVip-zCh1BEQJGEAAYASAAEgJ0nvD_BwE

U
U
I bought some Baffin Apex boots for this year and they were fantastic. I can highly recommend them. I had to order 1 size larger than normal. (13)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Canadian Sorels Dad bought me from the Fleet/Farm, while a bit heavy, have been a comfortable pair of winter boots. I just used them while shovelling the drive a few days ago. Still giving good service 37 years later.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The bunny boots the white ones are the warmest but not good for much walking. The black ones Mouse Boots are better for walking and both are good if there is a chance of getting wet like during a stream crossings. The price has gone up considerably but in the past I never spent more than $25 on them, so a good buy even if not worn very often.

I have been pleased with a 1,000 gram Danner Pioneer, I think,. similar to the Elk hunter. Couple of things really help, get them at least one size larger than your street shoes, add 1/4" or thicker felt insoles, currently I have those mesh Vietnam insoles under Alpaca felt and this works great, treat at least the lower portion of leather boots with pure bees wax, this not only makes them more waterproof it keeps the leather from absorbing moisture from inside or outside. Wear liner socks and I wear alpaca socks too, they are 3-4 times warmer than wool.

Over boots like the Neos or once on stand Boot Blankets are a good option if doing much walking. Boots warm enough for stand hunting will make your felt sweat while walking negating the reason for wearing them, Bring a change of socks and some chemical warmers that will fit in the boots and you can stay out all day.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have come to realize the wear a warmer hat and keeping your neck warm keeps your feet and hands warmer. It really makes a difference.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by skitish
Have you looked at the Schnee line of pac boots. I believe the pair I have is called the Outfitter. I bought them at least 10 years ago and they fit in a stirrup. They are my go to cold weather boot. I will say to bring a lighter pair of boots also because these are very warm .

I generally wear the same boots when Im elk hunting and its below zero or just above and walking through snow. I like the removable liners and they have always been toasty warm to the point of being a bit too much when walking any kind of distance. Keep a spare pair of liners so that you can swap them out to dry. I have also used Irish Setter boots with good results, warm and good ankle support.

NRA Endowment Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ive gone away from any insulated boot. My feet just sweat way too easy. I wear non insulated a synthetic liner sock and a heavy merino wool. if I am stand sitting I use a pair of boot blankets over them

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.