Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
sizing isaccurate. large should be fine for you.

Thanks!

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by goalie
sizing isaccurate. large should be fine for you.

Thanks!

Just watch camofire . They're usually on sale a few times a month or I have called them directly after sale ended and if in stock can still purchase

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As a LONG time wool person, I will agree on the kuiu. Darn good stuff, lite, easy to pack. Make sure you get a hood.

MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
CGPAUL

You also used the guide jacket/pants?

MK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Kuiu Guide jacket and pants will do what you want.

Yep. Great option.
And plenty of solid colors to choose from (I'm the anti-matching-uniform-looking sort). laugh
Order a size larger to layer beneath.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I wasn't anti-Sitka...until I wasn't.

I bought 1/4-zip fleece lined pull-over this fall. I think it's supposed to be for waterfowl hunting but I used it for deer. I put it in my pack and put it on when I started to cool off. The thing is great. It's damn near too warm. It's not something I'm going to move around in that's for sure. I ordered a 3x so it will fit over my other clothes and it's still pretty big. I'd say they're sized for that already.

I do think I'd like the Kuiu Guide Jacket. But, I prefer non camo for my stuff. Those usually sell out pretty quick.

Camp is where you make it.
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I had the opportunity to look at some of the Kryptek. The Vellus realistically does all I am asking, BUT- the jacket I handled seemed heavy to me, and I wasn’t overly impressed with the condition it was in after a few seasons. This gentleman hunts hard...real hard, but I wasn’t sold on the overall ruggedness of the material, he agreed on that- was this a bad example?

Many arrows pointing Kuiu- trying to handle the guide series next.

M

Last edited by MK257; 02/22/21.

MK
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to be a wool guy. Especially for stand hunting. Then I tried Sitka and my wool sits in the closet. I use my Jetstream for much of what you are looking for (active elk hunting in late September through most of October antelope and mule deer and waterfowl. If it is too cold for that, I put a Sitka Kelvin vest under it. If it is really cold, I use the Sitka Incinerator. With those 3 things, I can cover everything down to MN firearm whitetail stand hunting with no problem.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Kryptek Vellus line might be worth a look. Though depending on activity level, may be a bit too warm, especially during early season. If so, the Dalibor line might be the way to go. You could actually have both and not spend what you would for the prestige names.

I have a Kryptek Jupiter medium size rain jacket that I kept. It's usable barely, but I should have returned it. To begin with I'm skinny, 6 feet/165#, and even then, the sleeves are WAY too tight. No room for anything warm. I told them of this but I bet they shrugged about the fabric cut. I would not buy another garment from them. Profit, ya know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For non-camo, research climbing soft shells like Marmot, NF, Black Diamond, Raab, etc. ad infinitum. Very light, very durable.

King's Camo makes superb softshells for decent prices.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I know nothing about Kryptek, Kiui, or Sitka, but my impression is that they are fairly pricey. If you want to go cheaper, Carharrt makes a zip-up Rain Defender hoodie. I was out in a steady rain (think green on the Doppler radar) for about 45 minutes yesterday and, although it looked like it was soaking wet on the outside, it was completely dry inside. Looks and feels like a sweatshirt, so it is soft and quiet. Mine was a gift, so I don't know the cost but pretty sure it will be less than the brands named above. Just a thought.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MK257
Well, I had the opportunity to look at some of the Kryptek. The Vellus realistically does all I am asking, BUT- the jacket I handled seemed heavy to me, and I wasn’t overly impressed with the condition it was in after a few seasons. This gentleman hunts hard...real hard, but I wasn’t sold on the overall ruggedness of the material, he agreed on that- was this a bad example?

Many arrows pointing Kuiu- trying to handle the guide series next.

M

Kuiu is top of my list but you didn't mention budget in your initial post

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So many hunting garments are noisy like a potato chip bag. You grab the sleeve, kinda wrinkle it and it crackles. Or it sounds like a zipper when it rubs against itself.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wool was a top contender for cold weather gear about the same time a 308 was a contender in long range shooting. A lot has changed since then.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I still wear wool. Deer don't seem to smell me when I am wearing it and don't see me as often. Lots of times I have deer that are not the one I am looking to shoot walk right under my stand. Don't want them blowing and.alarming the others.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I still wear wool. Deer don't seem to smell me when I am wearing it and don't see me as often. Lots of times I have deer that are not the one I am looking to shoot walk right under my stand. Don't want them blowing and.alarming the others.

Um, I have that happen wearing jeans, Carhartt jacket, and an orange vest.

Movement matters. Colors not so much.

Scent control is easy in modern cloths, jeans, or wool.

In the end, wool and other "old style" options work, but are 2-3x as heavy and bulky. If your hunting involves hiking, that matters. A lot.

In a stand, I don't worry about bulk or weight, I just worry about noise and warmth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.camofire.com

camofire has soft-shell layers, pants and puffy on sale today. Good basic starting clothes

Ive done quite a bit of coyote hunting, ice fishing in these bibs the past few months. Sitting in wind, light rain, cold, snow , fairly water proof( for not being rain gear) , quiet, comfortable. Great deal for the money

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/59

By the under wear layers, vest, puffy, pants for early season, and you're set for most conditions under $300

The bibs came up again. I ordered the bibs and matching jacket for less than the price of a Sitka hoodie.

Thanks!!!
😉

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The only wool I have used is Filson. I quit buying hunting clothes when I bought what I wanted from them. It has lasted great and does what I want.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The wool alternative products originated with those who were climbing around on mountains....often in harsh conditions. They quickly understood that a Filson Double Mac was just about the least appropriate material and type of clothing to enable them to perform and survive in a highly strenuous activity And often in nasty weather. It didn’t take long for the serious Backpacking crowd to see they were right.

Filson does makes some decent Upland gear...

Last edited by battue; 03/08/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like KUIU, I wear their Attach pants everywhere. I can't imagine hunting or hiking in pants that do not stretch ever again. I used to wear wool all of the time but the KUIU stuff is a fraction of the weight and very comfortable.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 90 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.