Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
I thought this thread just died an ugly death but guess not yet. I thought of two other considerations for you. I know you didn't ask about them, but they would be important to me.

Do you ride with anyone else? Do you have any social purpose for riding? You didn't mention it and mostly described a loner thing. I think you can see that if you ride with anyone else or want to, there is value in compatibility in terms of the roads you go on and the pace you share. There's really a whole lot to the social aspect in so many ways. Among other things, bikes are an "identity" thing for a lot of people.

More practically, the clothes you'll wear are a major factor in your enjoyment. On a dirt bike, you probably wear a helmet with goggles, a jersey maybe with a chest protector, trail pants, mx-style boots and gloves. None of this is any good at 50+mph over pavement. Regular street clothes are also worthless. Even if you wear a motorcycle jacket, cotton jeans don't provide any protection. When you ride on the street, the only way to protect yourself is with a two-piece motorcycling suit or a one-piece suit in either leather or Cordura. You'll also want a back protector, road boots and a helmet with a face-shield. Unlike dirt bikes where you sit over them and often stand up on the pegs, on almost every style of street bike you sit in them and hump the gas tank. The only kind of streetbike where you don't hump the gas tank is the foot-forward, ape-hangar cruiser style. Because you will be bent in the middle with your crotch to belly up against the tank, regular street clothes with belts and jackets with a long front are awfully uncomfortable. If you have a bigger belly, it's even worse. I'm not judging your body type, but you won't want to add bunched up clothing into that bend. One-piece suits are by far the most comfortable because they don't have the overlapping double layers where you're bent. I always wore leather, but I never get hot and rode in a climate where rain was rare. A suit from Aerostich or Klim might be better for some climates. To me, the bike and the suit are a package deal. I might like the way a bike looks standing away from it, but once I've figured out all the apparel that works best with it, I might find myself down a path in a direction I didn't want to go.

JFC

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure if this would sway anyone’s recommendations but I’ll be buying a used bike. Most I’m looking at are under 10000 miles or so

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottprice
Not sure if this would sway anyone’s recommendations but I’ll be buying a used bike. Most I’m looking at are under 10000 miles or so

Not really, just use good judgment on the condition and seller. Consider proximity to a dealer as there are special tools for the computers/systems (probably won't need them but you never know). Check maintenance records, especially on Ducs (changing cam belts on the 2V motors is easy but the others take a bit more 'effort'.) Pay close attention to the frame. Trust your gut.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The big "Dual Purpose" bikes are more road bikes than off road.

The multisrada , as all Ducatis are high maintenance, but a lot of fun. have had a few.

I had a 'Guzzi Stelvio, nice road bike ...too heavy for serious off road. what I disliked most about it was the fact it did NOT sound like a motorcycle....until 10,000 R's or so.

Trail bikes and road bikes don't mix for me.

Still have ' Guzzis. Best road bike I had was a 1400 California.

But , I like my Triumph Thruxton, and tour on it. It doesn't go off road too well.

Attached Images
IMG_0435.jpg (26.27 KB, 127 downloads)
IMG_2823.jpg (32.36 KB, 130 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Guzzis and Boxer engines make valve adjustment an easy 20minute mid riide lunch break type operation. But those are full sized liter+ bikes.

The boxer engines are easily 100k plus motors and have often reached 400k plus.

I don't know as much about the smaller motors, but they are typically v or inline configurations, so have less accessible heads.

To sock puppets advice I will add look at the brake lines. Some of the old rubber ones tend to degrade... replacing with reinforced steel braided line is not difficult. A few companies sell upgrade kits.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 02/28/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I’ve bought every bike I ever had used. If you research it right you save a bunch! Your timing for that is perfect. Buy motorcycles, convertibles & boats in the winter. Buy snow blowers, snow plows & snow mobiles in the summer.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Anteloper
Your timing for that is perfect. Buy motorcycles, convertibles & boats in the winter. Buy snow blowers, snow plows & snow mobiles in the summer.

Amen buddy. Almost bought a snowmobile a few weeks ago after all that snow but made myself wait til at least May/June to get one

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RDW
For 80/20 street vs dirt I would take the KLX/DRZ400-SM over my KLR650 any day.

Consider The Mighty DR, Suzuki's DR650. It's bulletproof with a ton of aftermarket support. I put Pro Taper bars, a bash plate, billet levers, Acerbis bark busters, Intiminators, OEM rack, etc, on mine. The Australians do some crazy stuff with them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGdLm9sXzdo

You should be able to pick up a nice one for $3000-$3500.

Last edited by Paddler; 02/28/21.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Paddler

Consider The Mighty DR, Suzuki's DR650. It's bulletproof with a ton of aftermarket support. I put Pro Taper bars, a bash plate, billet levers, Acerbis bark busters, Intiminators, OEM rack, etc, on mine. The Australians do some crazy stuff with them:

Great suggestion. Only thing I don’t like about them is the boxy old school look to them, but I can get over that

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Paddler

Great suggestion. Only thing I don’t like about them is the boxy old school look to them, but I can get over that

Boxy?

https://suzukicycles.com/dualsport/2019/dr650s

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can have a good time on anything on two wheels. I have had everything from true dual sports to scooters to sport tourers to adventure bikes to full dressers. If my riding was going to involve multi-day trips and long mileage days, out of those on your list, I'd go with the Tenere. Cruise control is such a nice feature when it comes to comfort. I have done quite a few 400+ mile days on a DR 650 and think it is the best of the big traditional dual sports. I say that having owned XR650Ls and having ridden KLRs. The VStrom and the Versys make good middle ground. The VStrom soaks up bumpy roads better than the Versys. Both have a huge fun factor.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m hunting for my first street legal bike and I’m mainly looking at bikes like the Suzuki Vstrom, Triumph Tiger, Yamaha Tenere, Aprilia Dorsoduro, Kawasaki KLR/KLX, Ducati Hypermotard, Multistrada and Scrambler.... as you can see there is a crossover/dual sport theme here...

I expect to be nearly all road riding but would enjoy the ability to rip around if I want to on some roads and trails. Not technical single tracks, just dirt roads and trails. There will be some highway use so it can’t be a slow bike but I don’t need a rocket.

Let’s hear some feedback on these bikes. What are some regrets you had after your first purchase that you wish you considered before buying that first bike? What are repair costs like on them? Overall durability? General advice is appreciated too

Edit: I also looked at supermotos but I’d imagine you cant ride for any real length of time on those. I’m sure it’s a blast for hour or so rips, more than that and I think my ass would hurt

EDIT2: I should note that I’m 5 foot 11 and 220 pounds.

Looking back at your post, if you are getting back on the road and it sounds like that is your primary interest, how about a true road bike?

A naked or standard like the SV650 or FZ-07 as examples in lieu of a dual-sport or adventure bike?

I got back on the road after a 29 year layoff, previously on a 650 Maxim (a true squid in college and lucky to have survived) buying a Ninja 400. Light, quick, FI, ABS and cheap at 5,400 brand new. I was not sure if I would even be comfortable on the road and the N400 is basically a naked or standard with plastic. I ended up being comfortable and traded the Ninja 400 for a Ninja 1000, the 1000 for a ZX14R, and bought a KLR650. The KLR being less than fun on the road, recently snagged a KTM Duke 690 naked for short rides and around town commuting.

You may find room for a second bike, one bike is not the best at everything.

There are thousands of good deals on bikes right now but the market will thin as the temperature warms.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or, you could just get what actually gets the blood flowing. This was the last Duc that I owned...sure loved that bike.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Paul, a buddy of mine had a Versys when I had the Wee-Strom, and he liked it very much. I never rode it but he had a lot of fun on it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Or, you could just get what actually gets the blood flowing. This was the last Duc that I owned...sure loved that bike.

Sweet. V twin sport bikes have the best sound in motorcycling and Ducati is the best of the best. The SV was no slouch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Paul, a buddy of mine had a Versys when I had the Wee-Strom, and he liked it very much. I never rode it but he had a lot of fun on it.

They have a very different feel, but both a lot of fun and very practical.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I currently have and ride a Suzuki V-Strom 650, a KLR 650, a KLX 250, and an old GL 1100 Gold Wing (81). The V-Strom is a very good highway bike but I dislike the throttle response and it is not a super gravel road bike but isn't bad. The KLR is a very good gravel toad bike, an adequate pavement bike but a bit of a pig. It has the original antilock brakes; no one could squeeze that lever hard enough to lock the front brake! The KLX is a wonderful trail/gravel road bike and great for 100 mile trips. It's also fun around town. If Honda brought out the 1982 Goldwing today, the naked model, I would buy it. If brought out today, it would be screwed up and electrified to death so probably not.
I like the adventure bike concept but all of the factories have made the bike too complex to be very appealing. I like the V-Strom but honestly, it lacks soul. GD

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The definition of Dual Sport obviously changes by location. I have been a Dual Sporter for over 25 years. Never seen one of these bikes on the trail. They are all Florida bikes that guys talk about, but never ride.

Last edited by MM879; 02/28/21.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jumped on the KTM to take my daughter a cast iron skillet, a 20 mile roundtrip that was close to 75 after visiting my parents and buzzing around town.

And a few miles from my house passed a red Monster laugh

I like the sound of V and I 4's but the Monster and SV have a sweet sound for sure!

Dave

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 45 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,464,017
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.