Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by gkt5450
I wore the dark grey MJ Hanalei for two pairs worth. I bought the plastic lenses w great results.
Good luck. They’ll change the way you see things in the water.

"Plastic" is a bit of a "catch-all" term. That said, all 3 of Maui's "plastic" lens offerings are excellent. In terms of optical performance their "least clear" material has an ABBE value of 43. The Human eye can detect an ABBE value up to about 45, after that, most won't see the difference. There are exceptions but consider "45" a good rule of thumb. For comparison's sake, most polycarbonate lenses have an ABBE value from 31-33 and it's the "least clear" lens material available, doesn't matter if it's sunglasses with no prescription or clear lenses in your everyday prescription glasses, polycarbonate is the least-clear piece of lens material you can put in front of your eyes.

No insult to your most obvious expertise. It was a simple term to differentiate from the heavier glass.

Maui’s are great products.

Last edited by gkt5450; 02/28/21. Reason: Sp.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Oregon?

Probably pink ones.

I like pink. Who doesn’t like pink?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For serious fishing here a single color will not cut it. We need different colors and densities to get the most out of the glass. Not uncommon to use five or more different glasses in a day.

Trying to get away with just one, I would avoid anything with red or pink. Deep green works best for my eyes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
For serious fishing here a single color will not cut it. Not uncommon to use five or more different glasses in a day.

7-8 glasses per day if you're really fishing hard?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lol.
I like amber. Not trying to swap and keep track of multiple sunglasses. Keeping one set is hard enough.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Oregon?

Probably pink ones.

I like pink. Who doesn’t like pink?

P

You have only a vague notion of what I've spent chasing the Pink.

I love the Pink.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For serious fishing here a single color will not cut it. We need different colors and densities to get the most out of the glass. Not uncommon to use five or more different glasses in a day.

LMAO, How vain would you have to be to walk on a boat with 5 different pairs of sunglasses?

Delete that post before even more see it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fit of frame and color of lenses is completely subjective to the owner,

I like Grey for glare and glass if possible.

Fit likely comes first for me.

Mirrors are overrated.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Trying to get away with just one, I would avoid anything with red or pink. Deep green works best for my eyes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sitkadummy is hardcore!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Whether is costas or mj.

I prefer glass lens.

Their website should give a run down on what color lens serves what purpose.

I usually go with blue or green mirror.

MJ has some red mirror out now.

I think the bronze/amber lense color would be best all around. Grey second best

Maui Jim Peahi Sunglasses H202-10

Last edited by ribka; 02/28/21.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by horse1
I wore the dark grey MJ Hanalei for two pairs worth. I bought the plastic lenses w great results.
Good luck. They’ll change the way you see things in the water.

"Plastic" is a bit of a "catch-all" term. That said, all 3 of Maui's "plastic" lens offerings are excellent. In terms of optical performance their "least clear" material has an ABBE value of 43. The Human eye can detect an ABBE value up to about 45, after that, most won't see the difference. There are exceptions but consider "45" a good rule of thumb. For comparison's sake, most polycarbonate lenses have an ABBE value from 31-33 and it's the "least clear" lens material available, doesn't matter if it's sunglasses with no prescription or clear lenses in your everyday prescription glasses, polycarbonate is the least-clear piece of lens material you can put in front of your eyes.

No insult to your most obvious expertise. It was a simple term to differentiate from the heavier glass.

Maui’s are great products.

I was merely expounding upon your original statement and am in full agreement that any of the 3 plastics are excellent and for me at least, preferable to glass. I don't like the weight of glass and sans significant magnification (like binocs), human eyes can't detect the optical difference between glass and Maui's plastic.

I once shattered a Costa glass lens while the shades were in my coat pocket and I was loading my ice-house into the back of my pickup. Again, hard pass on glass lenses for me.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I’m calling bull💩. What a load of crap this post is.

Laughing

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I fished the Kalama river, right over the Oregon/Washington border and the guys who fished the area said the best color lenses for the local eaters was amber/orange lenses. Went and got a pair and yes, it was much better than the normal shades I brought.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
For serious fishing here a single color will not cut it. Not uncommon to use five or more different glasses in a day.

7-8 glasses per day if you're really fishing hard?

As the light changes... and low-angle light changes a lot... seeing fish is everything and those subtle changes make huge differences. Too many people here have seen exactly what I am saying. Believe whatever you want to believe.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Springcove

I’m calling bull💩. What a load of crap this post is.

Laughing

you are welcome to your own beliefs. I have been doing this seriously for decades and even remember when we first heard about Polaroid glasses when I was very young. There are way too many posters here that have seen how much difference the exact right lens makes. From invisible fish to nearly neon. But please, do carry on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Sitkadummy is hardcore!

Congratulations moron. Lots of folks have been shown the difference.

Often, the exact right color for a given situation might be a $10 Walmart lens... watch salmon coming in over glacial silt bottoms in a couple feet of water and all you see are shadows. Get back to me on that...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My belief is your full of 💩. Carry on sport.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Lighthouse Rimless with root beer lenses. They're so light, you'll forget you're wearing them.

Last edited by Bosque; 02/28/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kenneth

LMAO, How vain would you have to be to walk on a boat with 5 different pairs of sunglasses?

Delete that post before even more see it.

How much of an idiot do you have to be to question something you have never seen spoken by someone with many decades of experience? I would say you have to be a pretty big idiot...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 3,074 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.