goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JimmyGrace
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

God Bless America!

And somewhere nightly some old desiccated former NVA wakes shaking & sweating uncontrollably from a recurring nightmare that is exactly that picture.

I sincerely hope not.

You only wake up if you're alive.

Good commies and all.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What an outstanding and amazing talent you have. Love the owls.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net]

Dave

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by goalie
This is my son riding my neighbor's horse, Buddy, with the neighbor girl clinging to him.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

This led to me getting some of Buddy's horseshoes from the farrier and making a wine rack as a gift for letting my son go riding. That led to people wanting stuff made out of horseshoes.

I made enough at my first craft fair/art show to buy a plasma cutter and bigger air compressor.

I never thought of "welding art" as a thing until that moment.

Now, I usually make 5-7k profit a year screwing around in my shop making stuff. It keeps my CPA spouse mostly off my back when I buy crap.

Anyone else look at a picture and think "damn, that was THE moment?"

Good for you dude. Welding art is hot right now. I like it too, but nowhere near talented.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
[Linked Image from d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net]

This turned into four deployments for me.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Light hearted moment if you will. Shortly before the end of my first tour I flew front seat (gunner) in Snakes for about 2 weeks. Different perspective for sure. We were on a mission in support of our infantry platoon that was doing a recon in force in what I recall was known as Elephant Valley, to the west of Quang Tri. The valley was west of the first high ridge that separated the coastal lowlands from the high mountains.

In the midst of all this fun we were in contact with a multi unit team of long range patrol (LRPs) and they had a radio relay on top of one of the peaks nearby. Common construct intended to maintain radio contact with all units. Another ace up the sleeve were a series of sensors previously put in place by the Air Force. They were typically delivered is a style one would expect such as acoustic sensors on or near trails, seismic sensors adjacent to roads etc. They were delivered much in the same way as bombs and initial appearance was quite similar, but after deployment they would typically embed the nose section and deploy an antenna that looked a bit like a bush w/o leaves. Olive drab in color they were not that easy to spot. And we had 10 digit coordinates on their location, meaning we could place them within about 10 meters with use of a tactical map. On this occasion the radio relay team was wired into several of the acoustic sensors and they had a Vietnamese on the team who could translate dink-speak.

So, were were keeping an eye on things when we got a call that the dinks near sensor X were discussing the set up of an ambush on our troops, and the sensor ID was passed along. Took a few moments for me to locate it on the map, then the terrain and finally to brief the back seat boss where it was. Mission control told us to whack their butts and as we rolled in the relay team called to advise the ambush had been canceled because the dinks only had SKS guns, not AKs. Seconds after that call this was my view from the front seat.

The next call from the relay team...laughing hysterically....we were on target. In the background we could faintly hear screaming and such. I might have smiled for a day or two afterwards.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
If there were any film or photo that absolutely with no doubt warped my mind forever and changed my life while instilling in me a lifelong infatuation with things of Braintan buckskin, tomahawks, forged knives, animal skins, wool and linen handsewn clothes, powderhorns, hunting pouches, flintlocks, and campfires, it was that fella back in the 50’s responsible for this.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Light hearted moment if you will. Shortly before the end of my first tour I flew front seat (gunner) in Snakes for about 2 weeks. Different perspective for sure. We were on a mission in support of our infantry platoon that was doing a recon in force in what I recall was known as Elephant Valley, to the west of Quang Tri. The valley was west of the first high ridge that separated the coastal lowlands from the high mountains.

In the midst of all this fun we were in contact with a multi unit team of long range patrol (LRPs) and they had a radio relay on top of one of the peaks nearby. Common construct intended to maintain radio contact with all units. Another ace up the sleeve were a series of sensors previously put in place by the Air Force. They were typically delivered is a style one would expect such as acoustic sensors on or near trails, seismic sensors adjacent to roads etc. They were delivered much in the same way as bombs and initial appearance was quite similar, but after deployment they would typically embed the nose section and deploy an antenna that looked a bit like a bush w/o leaves. Olive drab in color they were not that easy to spot. And we had 10 digit coordinates on their location, meaning we could place them within about 10 meters with use of a tactical map. On this occasion the radio relay team was wired into several of the acoustic sensors and they had a Vietnamese on the team who could translate dink-speak.

So, were were keeping an eye on things when we got a call that the dinks near sensor X were discussing the set up of an ambush on our troops, and the sensor ID was passed along. Took a few moments for me to locate it on the map, then the terrain and finally to brief the back seat boss where it was. Mission control told us to whack their butts and as we rolled in the relay team called to advise the ambush had been canceled because the dinks only had SKS guns, not AKs. Seconds after that call this was my view from the front seat.

The next call from the relay team...laughing hysterically....we were on target. In the background we could faintly hear screaming and such. I might have smiled for a day or two afterwards.

Winning!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Neat pic, always liked to see 2.75's [ if that's what those were ] deployed in salvo mode, a few always had minds of their own just wondered how many bad guys thought they were safe and ate em outside the 10 ring grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Still have violent survivors guilt dreams to this day.
Subconscious mind schit.
Last night.
Not frequent, I think looking at this thread yesterday did a jedi mind fugg on me in a way.
Bare my soul a little.
Lots of you will know the feelings.
And IDGAF what anyone thinks.
Those that have walked the walk know...

I got 3 philipino privates fresh outta Benning in July of 01.
Cockblocked the schitt outta the other 2 PSG,s with my 1sg to get all 3 of em in my platoon.
My experience with philippino soldiers as a tm ldr, and Sqd ldr in my past was they dont quit ever, they have a inner desire to excell.
Ravago is pictured mid june 03.
The "lull" before mout insurgent warfare ramped up late july aug 03.
My 1st soldier KIA ever...
Then Casica KIA ...
Then Sanchez Wia...
All over the period of 4 months.
We got payback for you guys but nearly not enough .
We wanted more.
Waay more but we had to rotate out and go home.
I'm sorry...
Gawdddddammit......
As long as the 502nd exist.
So will you guys......

I will see you hard SOB,s again when my time comes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 02/27/21.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Desert storm was a 4 day cake walk for the 101st.
Was a line dog sqd ldr e6 in A co 2/327th.

Fired 4 shots the morning of FOB Cobra .

OIF 1
Desert and mout warfare.
Insurgent mout warfare.

The American Infantryman Army and Marine did their part.
Nuff said.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Jimmy Grace,

You humble me!

Thanks.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, 2.75” FFAR. 17# HE Quick was 80% of what we carried. Balance was flechette rkts.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

HAHA

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Goalie:

A skilled creative eye there. Local artist lady moved away from here years back with the talent to work and create in any medium. I don't think she was ever on vacation as she'd be gathering rocks, sticks, bones, or whatever and putting things together.

Not very artistic here, but do have some flint knapping abilities I've considered capitalizing on. Fifty or 60 lbs of points around just taking up space.

1Minute
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Goalie:

A skilled creative eye there. Local artist lady moved away from here years back with the talent to work and create in any medium. I don't think she was ever on vacation as she'd be gathering rocks, sticks, bones, or whatever and putting things together.

Not very artistic here, but do have some flint knapping abilities I've considered capitalizing on. Fifty or 60 lbs of points around just taking up space.

Just do it.

I never would have gotten a table at an art show, but a secretary in my department makes really nice mittens and goes to shows. She talked me into making some Christmas stuff so she'd have more at her table.

It was well worth it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
Aaaaaand I have a weekend project.

Metal bender: check
Rebar: check
Welder: check
😁

Here's another pic I had stashed. smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Dam that's nice! Sir you have a Great Talent!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,315
Posts18,449,232
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.