Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Springcove
My belief is your full of 💩. Carry on sport.

My facts and experiences say "your" belief is based on very little experience.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve heard similar things about the rivers in Alaska. Different lenses for rivers during different times of the year due to the rivers being fed by glacial runoff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by robertham1
I’ve heard similar things about the rivers in Alaska. Different lenses for rivers during different times of the year due to the rivers being fed by glacial runoff.

Shhhhhhh! Let the idiots run with it!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Pharm i hear tuna require the amber color! Good score on free quality shades!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sight fishing is not the same as other types of fishing.

When sight fishing with a flyrod, I do indeed use low-light lenses and switch out and back as light intensifies or wanes. On the salt flats, in MJ, that means HT green in low light. In Costas, Sunrise yellow (now mirrored) for low light, and something else later in the day. That’s in the salt. Two will usually do, for me, when sight fishing with a flyrod.

On the open ocean, as in non-sight fishing, I go with one pair of high UV protection, blue mirror or green mirror Costas, all day long. That’s when seeing what’s under water is much less an issue.

Sight fishing fresh water can indeed benefit from more lens colors. There are different water tints, lighting conditions, bottom colors ... copper base is a pretty good all-around, but there are places where a gray base is a huge advantage. Again, here we are talking about optimizing seeing fish to cast to, as opposed to simple UV protection. Those are two very different propositions.

I’ll leave that there ....

Another thing, and I do get crap about this (except from eye doctors), I won’t wear glass fishing, ANY kind of fishing, ever again. It’s shatterproof lenses, always, every time, from here on out, for me.

I took a tiny bead head going a gazillion miles an hour just off the corner of my right eye while flyfishing in Argentina. Totally my fault. Wind was quite strong, gusting, on-shoulder, I was using a two-handed rod, and I was just too lazy to do things like I should have.

Hurt like a mother. Turned into a shiner. And if that little bead head had hit 1 centimeter left on that killer Costa 230G glass lens, the lens would have exploded, with all those shards going into my eye.

I now fish with the most shatterproof, impact-resistant lens I can, ALWAYS. I never fish without shatterproof lenses. I also NEVER shoot without, or run power tools without such protection. I almost, al-most, had to learn the hard way.

To answer the OP: For a free, do everything pair of MJs I would get a general use gray or copper (bronze) base in an impact resistant lens.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot sure did happen on this thread while I was writing that post ... crazy

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickBin
A lot sure did happen on this thread while I was writing that post ...

Happens to me a lot, but I'm usually more long winded than most.

Thanks for the sage advice Rick.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickBin
A lot sure did happen on this thread while I was writing that post ... crazy

I know you have seen fish materialize and dematerialize just by the wave of a lens... but don't tell anybody.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless you get glass lenses you might as well stick to $4 Walmart sunglasses. Because all the non glass lenses scratch and will look like crap unless you clean them under perfect conditions. Which isn’t always possible. I can clean glass of with pretty much whatever I have at the moment. And a shirt tail or paper towel, toilet paper whatever. My favorite is smith teclite lenses in polarchromic igniter.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Costas, MJs, Vuarnets, B&Ls? Whatever. I gots ma whiskey goggles and 8 'n' bait, and it's game time!

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by robertham1

Shhhhhhh! Let the idiots run with it!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
For serious fishing here a single color will not cut it. We need different colors and densities to get the most out of the glass. Not uncommon to use five or more different glasses in a day.

LMAO, How vain would you have to be to walk on a boat with 5 different pairs of sunglasses?

Delete that post before even more see it.

How much of an idiot do you have to be to question something you have never seen spoken by someone with many decades of experience? I would say you have to be a pretty big idiot...

In typical fashion, You always seem to think you're the only one who's been fishing for decades,

Somehow water in Alaska is sooooooo much different than the rest of the world.

I still say you're full of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick, you're an amateur,

Only 2 pair?

Boss Dudes carry at least 5 pairs.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have kind of a big head (ha, sure) and some of the reviews suggested Southern Cross for fit. Anyone have these?

Spartan reef are for wider faces too. Fit my gourd good

I’ll check those out. Got a big melon too.

Local MJ dealer is also a western store.

Bunch of Honies work there. Win win.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For serious fishing here a single color will not cut it. We need different colors and densities to get the most out of the glass. Not uncommon to use five or more different glasses in a day.

LMAO, How vain would you have to be to walk on a boat with 5 different pairs of sunglasses?

Delete that post before even more see it.

How much of an idiot do you have to be to question something you have never seen spoken by someone with many decades of experience? I would say you have to be a pretty big idiot...

In typical fashion, You always seem to think you're the only one who's been fishing for decades,

Somehow water in Alaska is sooooooo much different than the rest of the world.

I still say you're full of it.

Doubling down on stupid... please, do carry on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick, you're an amateur,

Only 2 pair?

Boss Dudes carry at least 5 pairs.

Careful, Rick may have clues you have never imagined.

I have seen many pridefully stick to garbage lenses and ruin what should have been spectacular days. Those same garbage lenses may very well have been perfection before and after. Aren't you ready to go all in?

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Springcove
My belief is your full of 💩. Carry on sport.

My facts and experiences say "your" belief is based on very little experience.

What facts dumbass? Oh I forgot you’re the only one on the forum that fishes. I have owned dozens of different sunglasses so please spare anymore of your bull💩.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great fishing shades. I’m not sure how much the color or tint matters, I guess my currents are a shade of tan or bronze. Most important element, I find, for fishing, is the fit. You want them to really cover/wrap around your eyes/face so you don’t have glare creeping in the ‘gaps’. Or as little as possible. So, go to a store that carries a full line of them and try a bunch on till you find the ones that fit best and really ‘seal’ off your eyes. I focus on pairs that ‘wrap-around’ more than others. Wish I knew what style or model mine are as I would recommend them specifically.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Vuarnets... all I have ever used.

The color is absolutely perfect for my needs.

I have Vuarnet extra dark glacier glasses from back when I used to spend time on glaciers and snowfields. They also work on the brightest of days fishing the keys and Caribbean. But they are too dark for most "normal" occasions.

IMHO the tint of Vuarnets is almost orgasmic... especially if you're hungover.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have seen some Maui Jim sunglasses that I like. I've always hung up just a little on the fact that they are made in Peoria, Illinois.

And I get it, it's just a name

Still...

Peoria Pete's?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.