Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
We are contemplating fishing trips in Canada and would like an adventure. I told my son and his bud I would pickup $1,500 each and airfare since I have 300,000 points. So far I have taken a look at Grizzly Creek Lodge, Dave and Reggie’s remote cabin and that is first on my list but ultimately they will have a choice as well. As far north and west as the NWT and NOrth of us Quebec and the Maritimes. I am a trout guy, they like anything and everything!
Thanks in advance for your help.

Also looking at hunting trips in Canada and the U.S. My son and I are moose hunting this year in NF. We hope!! Both vaccinated so that will help i m thinking.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have already been told that our June trip for this year will likely be cancelled. Obviously we weren't able to go last year and were hopeful that we would be able to go this year. The place we go is a remote, fly-in trip and it is the only cabin on the lake. The walleye and Northern fishing is incredible.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I am none too confidant about this falls moose hunts. Down to 6-7 months and I hear nothing about opening.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Where in Canada 160user?

NoKnees, do you have hunti planned for this year? I think I will call the outfitter today and see what scuttlebutt she has heard. I would hope they allow us in the country with a vaccination card. From what I’m reading it will likely be the protocol for traveling abroad. At least that’s what some of the travel sites are saying.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have two hunts scheduled an Ontario moose hunt which was a push from last year, then moose/caribou in NFL. Both my guides say they are hopeful, but haven't really head anything. I hope they are not just being optimistic.

I am vaccinated and my partners for the Ontario trip are planning on it as soon as possible. My worry is that Canada is way behind us in vaccination rate, so come September most in the US who want a vaccine will have gotten it, much less sure about Canada. It maybe the Canadian vaccine #s will be the key ones. I am no expert in Ca politics but it seems to me that the national government is driving things up there and they are not very focused on rural tourism.

I have 2022 and 2023 hunts scheduled too so I can't really keep pushing things. To make this falls schedule work I am going to need to be able to travel freely in Canada, drive to Ontario, Hunt for a week and I can drive to Nfl. Its a long way from western Ontario to Nfl.

If it works its going to be a busy few weeks, If it falls apart I am not sure what to do. The Ontario outfitter will refund me, but the Nfl guy is hesitant to push a year as he is booked out in 2022 for Caribou.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's not looking good men.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
O know a real good place in Alberta out of Ft. McMurray, if the borders open. The caveat is that it is pike only, nothing else in the lake...but that lowers the cost well below walleye lakes. Wife and I caught 972 pike there on the last trip in 4 days.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any nice pike or just little squirts like this snot rocket?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The new Northern slot in Ontario makes us release anything worth cleaning.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We always release all those big slimers anyway. We eat walleyes while we are there and don't even bring any fish home with us. Some of those northern lakes just won't handle killing a bunch of fish all summer long.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Went on a remote fly in 2 years ago. Last years cancelled. Hopeful for this year. Had a blast and caught walleye until I was sick of it. Ate one pike, was nasty. Took a day or 2 but we finally figured out how to catch them. Supposed to leave end of May, damn I hope we get to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Labrador brook trout would be pretty hard to beat for a Canadian fishing adventure. So very few places can say they have the same quality brook trout fishing as Labrador. I'm looking at 2022 myself. Just something about abundant 6-8 pound brookies nailing flies.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GuideGun
I think Labrador brook trout would be pretty hard to beat for a Canadian fishing adventure. So very few places can say they have the same quality brook trout fishing as Labrador. I'm looking at 2022 myself. Just something about abundant 6-8 pound brookies nailing flies.

Been there twice and way up in NW Quebec on a remote river system for big brooks. Nothing like catching 6 to 8 lb brook trout on mice patterns on top of the water.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by blairvt
Went on a remote fly in 2 years ago. Last years cancelled. Hopeful for this year. Had a blast and caught walleye until I was sick of it. Ate one pike, was nasty. Took a day or 2 but we finally figured out how to catch them. Supposed to leave end of May, damn I hope we get to go.

Big Pike are easy to catch, its finding them that is difficult

Pike eat great if prepared correctly. 3 to 5 lbs. The big ones get released

Last edited by ribka; 03/02/21.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hello, sir... I guide for Camp Esnagi in Northern Ontario, widely recognized as one of the best walleye pike fisheries in Ontario... the lake is 27 miles long and pristine wilderness. It is a remote access lake, so you have to either fly in or train in from Sudbury or White River, Ontario... I would recommend the train from Sudbury as the train ride is.a nice experience in itself. The lodge has top notch facilities and new boats with 25 hp Yamaha 4-stroke motors... I guarantee that you will love the experience. Google, "Camp Esnagi." This is all pending the USA/CDN border opening for tourism travel. Take care and have a great trip regardless of where you go. Greg.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by hoytcanon
Hello, sir... I guide for Camp Esnagi in Northern Ontario, widely recognized as one of the best walleye pike fisheries in Ontario... the lake is 27 miles long and pristine wilderness. It is a remote access lake, so you have to either fly in or train in from Sudbury or White River, Ontario... I would recommend the train from Sudbury as the train ride is.a nice experience in itself. The lodge has top notch facilities and new boats with 25 hp Yamaha 4-stroke motors... I guarantee that you will love the experience. Google, "Camp Esnagi." This is all pending the USA/CDN border opening for tourism travel. Take care and have a great trip regardless of where you go. Greg.

Welcome to this crazy place Hoyt! We are neighbours! Only 345 miles apart. laugh

Last edited by wabigoon; 03/03/21.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The new Northern slot in Ontario makes us release anything worth cleaning.

Thats wayyyyy overdue in Ontario. Every time Ive fished there Northerns are regarded as trash fish, to be killed on sight. They are anything but....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
We've always had a limit. It used to be six in most areas.

In northern Ontario, heck anywhere in the province, the number of conservation officers went way down, so enforcement is harder.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
The Northern Pike slot in most of the province North of the French River, is six pike total, only two of which can be over 24" and only one of those can be over 34"... so you are still allowed trophy fish... and if you like eating pike (and I do), I can assure you a single day limit nets (pun intended) a whole whack of boneless fillets... and if they aren't boneless your fish station guy needs a lesson.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hoytcanon
The Northern Pike slot in most of the province North of the French River, is six pike total, only two of which can be over 24" and only one of those can be over 34"... so you are still allowed trophy fish... and if you like eating pike (and I do), I can assure you a single day limit nets (pun intended) a whole whack of boneless fillets... and if they aren't boneless your fish station guy needs a lesson.

In the spring, when they go into the shallows, you can quickly and easily catch your limit. I am not a fan, but like pickerel. Sometimes, when fishing for them, you end up catching a good number of pike. We alwys used to end up searching for water that was moving a little faster. That isn't always easy to do, if you aren't rom the area.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,852 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,524
Posts18,452,784
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.